Options

Songs of praise getting more bizarre

radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Today exploring changing attitudes toward mental illness.
What has this got to do with songs of praise
The subject matter of this programme has changed & not for the better

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the overall concept of religion, its values and what it stands for (in its many guises) has changed, and the programme is simply reflecting that change
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its the pits these days, you know exactly what the BBC are gonna to do with it
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the subject matter is fine for a programme like Songs of Praise to tackle. The trouble is, it didn't tackle it well. It was a jumbled mish mash of "This person has depression" and then going on to a piece about Gospel choirs. I am interested in mental health because it affects millions in society and I would have liked to have seen how religion reacts with the subject and what support is given to sufferers. It didn't give any such details and it was dealth with rather flippantly.
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Perhaps the overall concept of religion, its values and what it stands for (in its many guises) has changed, and the programme is simply reflecting that change

Indeed. religion and its perceptions have changed, but Songs of Praise has become a show that is desperately trying to be everything for everyone and at the same time is alienating a massive section of its audience. There are those who still like to observe their faith in a solemn and spiritual yet traditional way. They might have congregations singing hymns but they are overlooking the core concept of what Songs of Praise was meant to be. For example, by all means have a "hip hop carol" at Christmas if you so wish, but don't deprive those who look forward to Carols by candlelight each year - which they did last year. Last Christmas on BBC1 you had trendy happy clappy Christians, hip hop and a Big Sing in songs of Praise and on Christmas Day you had a hideous contemporary celebration - which didn't even attract a million viewers on Christmas morning. It is totally fine to reflect society in general and offer varying styles of worship, but it is also important to observe things respectfully and appealingly. This is where Songs of Praise is failing.
    its the pits these days, you know exactly what the BBC are gonna to do with it

Well, I do sense the BBC only show it out of tokenism now. It really has lost its quaintness.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not just have Aled Jones, some guest singers and a choir, sing some good old rousing Christian hymns, or would that be too controversial?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not just have Aled Jones, some guest singers and a choir, sing some good old rousing Christian hymns, or would that be too controversial?

What? You mean catering for its audience? Come on, be sensible! Why would they want to do that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    What? You mean catering for its audience? Come on, be sensible! Why would they want to do that?

Well, they'd probably think they might offend "some of the population."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, they'd probably think they might offend "some of the population."

They might offend those who don't watch it!!! I guess they have to take that into consideration! What I find amusing is the now obligatory rule of including other religions. Which is fine, but Songs of Praise is on Sunday because it's the Christian Sabbath. Surely they'll end up offending other religions by not airing their relevant segments on their sabbath?
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The wonderful Barbara Dickson has recorded a song for them.

It's time they showed it!!
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,157
    Forum Member
    I thought it was canned ages ago and The Big Questions now catered for the god squad.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    on Christmas Day you had a hideous contemporary celebration - which didn't even attract a million viewers on Christmas morning.
    In what way was it hideous? It far more reflects the church today than traditional Songs of Praise approaches.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    The last SOP I really enjoyed was a Moody and Sankey special.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the BBC say recently they were going to broaden its brief to reflect other religions apart from Christianity ?
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Didn't the BBC say recently they were going to broaden its brief to reflect other religions apart from Christianity ?

Its still a Christian show but its had a makeover:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/e3a23e35-e233-3b59-9ac4-3e7561cff645
  • Options
    davewsdavews Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    As a Christian I enjoyed SofP in the past mainly because I enjoy traditional christian hymns and a smattering of modern ones together with the Christian commentary. I have even taken part in a couple of programs including a Big Sing and there was a real atmosphere in the congregation that we were doing something useful to spread the message.
    I lost interest when they moved to the new format - it should really be about individual churches contributing their bit, not this mishmash of things not really related to mainline religion we have now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    In what way was it hideous? It far more reflects the church today than traditional Songs of Praise approaches.

In your opinion it reflects the church today. In my opinion, it was very divisive. There were rock songs singing non-Christmas songs and whilst it may be "modern", it didn't attract an audience. A traditional service on Christmas morning can attract around 1.5m viewers. This service only just scraped 800K. Christianity is fragmented. There are those who believe "happy clappy rock style" services are the way forward but this alienates the millions who prefer the traditional style. At Christmas especially, the Service needs to be traditional - do it in a modern style if you wish, but make it feel Christmassey for those watching. If you can't have a traditional carols by candlelight edition of Songs of Praise as last Christmas, then make the Christmas day service traditional.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect they are trying to kill SOP off.

Upset its core audience- then declare no one is watching any more.
  • Options
    Rosie PrimroseRosie Primrose Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    The last SOP I really enjoyed was a Moody and Sankey special.

Oh my goodness. I come from generations of Methodists and Moody and Sankey were a huge part of my childhood.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Oh my goodness. I come from generations of Methodists and Moody and Sankey were a huge part of my childhood.
    Grannie went to see Sankey on his last visit to England; she would have been 13 at the time.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We now have TBN UK on Freeview 65 which does that job better then SOP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, it's all about how many people will watch a programme rather than the quality of the actual content.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,157
    Forum Member
    We now have TBN UK on Freeview 65 which does that job better then SOP.

I'd consider that channel to be more evangelical than your traditional CoE
  • Options
    davewsdavews Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Yes, TBN is like all the religious channels on Freesat, far too evangelical for my liking (lots of Charles Wesley please, being a Methodist...).
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'[m guessing that the traditional SOP audience was middle age to elderly, possibly housebound, who liked to see congregations singing well know hymns
    The new BBC head of religous broadcasting is a Muslim

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/5309777/Controversial-Muslim-programme-maker-to-be-head-of-BBC-religion.html
  • Options
    evilweazelevilweazel Posts: 222
    Forum Member

To be honest I think it's pretty ironic that Songs of Praise is talking about other mental illnesses.