Options

Have you ever had a career change?

Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
From what to what if you don't mind me asking. I'm unemployed and really scared that I won't find a job. I have a degree in English and have also completed my teacher training.

Comments

• Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in the police for four years. Now in a barista in a coffee shop.

Yeah the pays crap but I'm a lot happier. Less shit to deal with, nicer people (mostly), and loads more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah the pays crap but I'm a lot happier. Less shit to deal with, nicer people (mostly), and loads more.

How many hours is it? Thanks for replying. Do you plan to go elsewhere later on?
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left school at 16 and had office work
    When my youngest started school I got a job with Special needs children and been there for many years and I love it
    I think world of my colleques and the children
  • Options
    brentfordpetebrentfordpete Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    It is something I am seriously considering.
    I am 42 , have been in travel since I was 24 but just don't enjoy my job, or commuting nearly 4 hours a day anymore.
    So am looking to change - but not sure to what !

OP - It can be daunting - the big unknown - but just try not to get disheartened gonig for interviews etc - it is all good practice for when the job you want comes up.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nice one. I can totally understand you. Life's too short to be miserable at work.
  • Options
    boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a career change as such but last year I quit my full time job and went back into education. It was definitely daunting but I had some security in that I remained working part time for my employer and have also got a second job.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, several times! Now I'm the happiest I've ever been, working for myself. Like 80sfan said, life's too short to be miserable at work. Have you thought of keeping the career, if that's really what you want to do, and changing where you live? There might be places in the world where they're desperate for English teachers. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have, more than once but those experience have led me to the job I have now.

Though I am hoping to semi retire next year (fingers crossed)
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have, too - went from working in shops to working in offices.

But with a degree in English plus teacher training, I would have thought you wouldn't be unemployed for long. A teacher I know says that English and Maths teachers are almost revered in schools, compared to non-core subject teachers. Best of luck, anyway. :)
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Marie4eva wrote: »
    From what to what if you don't mind me asking. I'm unemployed and really scared that I won't find a job. I have a degree in English and have also completed my teacher training.

I have had lots of jobs over the years and changed career several times. Never ever turn down training, so many people are lazy and don't seek out learning new skills, a degree is one thing but more vocational based skills are often more valuable to employers as it saves them having to pay to train you.

Also, if your CV shows regular updates in new skills it shows you are willing to work often in your own time to get those additional qualifications.

I've never been unemployed not even for a day and I've honestly never taken a single day off sick in over 30 years of work.
  • Options
    bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked in medical sales for 12 years then left and trained as a midwife.

Much longer hours, less pay and perks but 4 years qualified and i don't regret it yet.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Im trying to change but struggling to find anything suitable
  • Options
    iDirtyPenguiniDirtyPenguin Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I'd imagine in places like Saudi Arabia and Dubai or perhaps Tokyo are the few places I know are crying out for English teachers.

I currently work in the financial sector and have just recently started dabbling in graphic design i.e. Photoshop in my spare time. (courses via Udemy) Hoping to go into Web Development at some point.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd imagine in places like Saudi Arabia and Dubai or perhaps Tokyo are the few places I know are crying out for English teachers.

The Middle East and Asia are good places for finding private international schools that will hire UK trained teachers. The conditions are excellent, as are the benefits, and the salary is much higher and tax-free in places like Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

Even private schools for expats in the main European business cities like Brussels and Geneva can prove more beneficial that staying in the UK state mainstream system.
  • Options
    oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    at 13 paperboy
    at 14 butcher boy
    at 16 pork butcher
    at 19 plasterer
    at 21 army officer
    at 26 bank clerk /manager
    at 37 antique repairer
    at 38 security guard
    at 40 bus driver
    at 42 buggered off to france and have not worked for the last 18 years

now aged 61 in my 3rd French house :D
  • Options
    spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    Yes after 6 years as a graphic designer I quit in August to become a window cleaner, don't regret it for a minute.
  • Options
    axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I currently work in the financial sector and have just recently started dabbling in graphic design i.e. Photoshop in my spare time. (courses via Udemy) Hoping to go into Web Development at some point.

That's interesting.
    I'm absolutely bored to tears in my current job, but that boredom is pushing me into something a lot more interesting like Web Development.
    Learning HTML & CSS etc has woken me up & I actually enjoy it!
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting thread.

I would love to change my career but I do feel stuck. I left school half way through my A levels and took any old job. I ended up as an office junior and worked my way up to being a PA. I am now senior admin for a Financial Adviser firm. But I am soooooo bored with it.

My problem is, I get paid quite well and as the main breadwinner I can't afford a drop in pay. I don't have any experience of doing anything but admin, and im good at admin ... but after 22yrs I am really peed off with it.

I have been looking around at a new job for years now and either the pay is low or less than im on now or im under qualified. I feel very stuck.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont you want to do teaching? There was an article the other day saying there are teacher shortages for the first time in 4 years.

And yet Im sure it was in this forum recently someone said to me that qualified teachers cant get jobs, Im very surprised at that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Dont you want to do teaching? There was an article the other day saying there are teacher shortages for the first time in 4 years.

And yet Im sure it was in this forum recently someone said to me that qualified teachers cant get jobs, Im very surprised at that.

I trained in a subject that had a shortage of teachers. However, found it extremely hard to find a job in that subject (so have decided to teach another subject I have a degree in). Its weird that you get paid a big bursary to do a pgce in a shortage subject and then there are no jobs....I would like to teach...I do enjoy it...but wouldn't mind falling into something else....
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I went from a career in engineering to running the family's antique business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is something I am seriously considering.
    I am 42 , have been in travel since I was 24 but just don't enjoy my job, or commuting nearly 4 hours a day anymore.
    So am looking to change - but not sure to what !

OP - It can be daunting - the big unknown - but just try not to get disheartened gonig for interviews etc - it is all good practice for when the job you want comes up.

Thank You its just a bit scary not knowing what I want to do or where I'm going to be...I don't know what I want to do either.

I feel like time is passing by very quickly..... :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boozer3 wrote: »
    Not a career change as such but last year I quit my full time job and went back into education. It was definitely daunting but I had some security in that I remained working part time for my employer and have also got a second job.

What do you do and what do you study? what age range are you in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, several times! Now I'm the happiest I've ever been, working for myself. Like 80sfan said, life's too short to be miserable at work. Have you thought of keeping the career, if that's really what you want to do, and changing where you live? There might be places in the world where they're desperate for English teachers. Just a thought.

I have a young sibling who I love alot so thats why I want to stay in England. What do you do if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    I have, more than once but those experience have led me to the job I have now.

Though I am hoping to semi retire next year (fingers crossed)

Whats your career story?