Options

Michael McIntyre storms off stage

GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
Forum Member
Not been a good week, after his step-mother release new book last weekend about Michael's father.

And now this happens in local news;

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2014-10-14/michael-mcintyre-storms-off-stage-in-darlington/

Well he is comedian, so he could made a joke or mock the caller lady but not spilt the dummy and walk off!

Comments

• Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot stand him and find him as funny as permanent toothache, but what a ridiculously sensational headline for what was in reality a minor blip. He came back a few minutes later and finished the show.

In any case, why should he or any performer have to deal with ignorant people who disrupt everyone else's enjoyment?
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understood that he didn't storm off but 'walked off' and told the audience he would be back then asked security to have a word with the woman who kept using her phone. He came back when they had sorted her out. Didn't sound like he had spat the dummy and the texts he got afterwards from audience members were saying he'd handled it correctly.
    I'm not particularly keen on him either but why pay to go and see him then spend the time on your phone?!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A storm in a teacup, and a very misleading headline.
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    I am sorry, it is misleading headline,

Jason Manford post this in reply, and shock about this lady, who is this lady???

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2014-10-15/jason-manford-backs-michael-mcintyre-saying-he-was-100-in-the-right-to-leave-stage/
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »

Jason Manford post this in reply, and shock about this lady, who is this lady???

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2014-10-15/jason-manford-backs-michael-mcintyre-saying-he-was-100-in-the-right-to-leave-stage/

Good grief she was much worse than I had realised - very disruptive and probably drunk. Not much else they could do but remove her.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »

His step mother? :o
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read Manford's FB post about it and the report from a guy who was actually there. Sounds like McIntyre did the right thing. I'm not a fan of his, but why should one person spoil it for everyone who has paid to see him perform? Comedians deal with hecklers all the time but this apparently went waaaay beyond banter. It wasn't just about a woman using her 'phone.
  • Options
    Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    J.R wrote: »
    Good grief she was much worse than I had realised - very disruptive and probably drunk. Not much else they could do but remove her.

You'd have to be drunk to sit through McIntyre's act. He's always come across as a rather precious and unfunny prima donna. If he was any good as a comedian, he'd have left his rehearsed routine and made a few jokes to cut her down to size.

Any decent comedian would've had her for breakfast.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trevor_C7 wrote: »
    You'd have to be drunk to sit through McIntyre's act. He's always come across as a rather precious and unfunny prima donna. If he was any good as a comedian, he'd have left his rehearsed routine and made a few jokes to cut her down to size.

Any decent comedian would've had her for breakfast.

Rubbish. Someone who is intent on engaging in pathetic and drunken verbal abuse is not going to produce funny banter. She was also abusive to other people who asked her to be quiet - are they supposed to banter with her too? There is a huge difference between banter between comedians and the audience and someone who is just ruining it for everyone, and her behaviour should in no way be excused as something comedians should expect and deal with.

You are aware that comedians rehearse their 'spontaneous' put downs as well (as far as they can) you know?
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Just read Manford's FB post about it and the report from a guy who was actually there. Sounds like McIntyre did the right thing. I'm not a fan of his, but why should one person spoil it for everyone who has paid to see him perform? Comedians deal with hecklers all the time but this apparently went waaaay beyond banter. It wasn't just about a woman using her 'phone.

Yes, I'd agree with that.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unsurprising, since most people - inebriated or otherwise - have to be surgically removed from their technological devices these days.

Hardly worth paying to attend a show if she's just going to sit there yapping on her phone all night. Obviously out to cause a stir, by the sounds of it.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    A total non story and quite frankly shoddy reporting by whoever wrote the article.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan either (nor am I dead against him) but he handled this in the correct way.

I think the knives are out for him a bit the same way most people who make it big get mid-career. It's almost a response to their overexposure - which the media cotton onto - before late on they get hailed as geniuses.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Rubbish. Someone who is intent on engaging in pathetic and drunken verbal abuse is not going to produce funny banter. She was also abusive to other people who asked her to be quiet - are they supposed to banter with her too? There is a huge difference between banter between comedians and the audience and someone who is just ruining it for everyone, and her behaviour should in no way be excused as something comedians should expect and deal with.

You are aware that comedians rehearse their 'spontaneous' put downs as well (as far as they can) you know?
    True as it doesn't always work out for the best to start a slanging match.

There's a youtube vid of Richard Herring trying to deal with a heckler and in the end it just turns into abuse and he tells him to go and commit suicide.

Not were comfortable for the audience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I recently had a ‘Michael McIntyre Moment’ at the start of my speech, ‘Daily Hate’ – about the onslaught by some British newspapers against immigrants and minorities, especially Romanians and Bulgarians.

Here’s a 45 second intro, including the guy who started phoning as soon I started speaking.

http://youtu.be/c_J4vRz7LRE
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Michael McIntyre about as amusing as an emergency appendectomy, but in this instance, he was definitely in the right.

A couple of years ago, we went to a small stand up gig of local 'up and coming' comedians and there was a woman in the front row who was absolutely blitzed and one of the poor chaps who was obviously very 'green' had to abandon his set because she just made his life impossible. She too was on her phone and shouting out stuff. Security threw her out in the end.

There's only a certain amount of 'heckling' and 'banter' that can go on before something has to give.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon_Danzig wrote: »
    I recently had a ‘Michael McIntyre Moment’ at the start of my speech, ‘Daily Hate’ – about the onslaught by some British newspapers against immigrants and minorities, especially Romanians and Bulgarians.

Here’s a 45 second intro, including the guy who started phoning as soon I started speaking.

http://youtu.be/c_J4vRz7LRE

Do you want to put all you talk up on here?
    I would,be interested to hear it all.
  • Options
    SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would assume theatre goers would have the message loud and clear by now but there's always one ignoramus.
    I took exams last year for my degree and despite the invigilator announcing four times prior to the exam for people switch to off their phones one blokes phone went off twice during the exam. I think it is just plain arrogance and pig-headedness. Immediate expulsion from the venue is the only way to go with these idiots.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keeping a mobile on is so, so rude
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So he has a spat with someone using a mobile phone - just as well he wasn't doing a show in the USA. People there get up in the middle of acts (and songs), to go get a cup of coffee or whatever, sit and chat to one another and don't give a monkeys about anyone around them.

Most ill-mannered people I've ever come across in concerts / shows.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at a funeral this week & a phone went off twice!
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His only mistake, was coming back out :D
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    :D

That smiley actually looks rather like McIntyre's face!
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I'm actually from Darlington and friends with some members of the audience who were there that night. Apparently she was very very drunk and held a full blown loud conversation to her niece on the phone. She got very abusive to members of the audience who asked her to be quiet as well as Michael McIntyre. The audience were chanting for her to shut up and get out. Very rude.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    So he has a spat with someone using a mobile phone - just as well he wasn't doing a show in the USA. People there get up in the middle of acts (and songs), to go get a cup of coffee or whatever, sit and chat to one another and don't give a monkeys about anyone around them.

Most ill-mannered people I've ever come across in concerts / shows.

Wow you managed to turn this into a thread to vent at people not even being discussed