Options

Are some celebs TOO money hungry?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
Forum Member
I know that this may sound like a silly question seeing as a lot of celebs want to live the glamorous glitzy A-list lifestyle but there are some celebrities that seem to take that to an extreme and it's almost celebrated that these individuals are earning extortionate amounts of money.

One example I read about recently is Britney currently banking $1 million dollars a week. She is already worth over $200 million and with her Vegas fee going up to almost $500,000 per show I do wonder where the love of the art has gone. She peddles underwear and perfumes on the side when I can't see any need.

Another is Rihanna who this week is pushing a mens fragrance, again she doesn't need the money, her life won't change dramatically because she's racked in a few more million pushing perfume.

Beyoncé and Jay Z are another pair of celebs that just seem to have a love of money over their art, everything seems to be abut more cash in the bank. And you can add Brad and Angelina, Sandra Bullock, George Clooney to that list.

I would have thought in a more enlightened age these celebs would be almost ashamed of their excess earnings, that they'll never be able to spend themselves, when so many are without.

Comments

• Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does the universe keep on expanding?
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    The worst ones are the ones like J-Lo & Mariah who perform for dictators for millions. There's no reason other than greed to be playing in Turkmenistan.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step forward the Kardashians en masse
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I know that this may sound like a silly question seeing as a lot of celebs want to live the glamorous glitzy A-list lifestyle but there are some celebrities that seem to take that to an extreme and it's almost celebrated that these individuals are earning extortionate amounts of money.

One example I read about recently is Britney currently banking $1 million dollars a week. She is already worth over $200 million and with her Vegas fee going up to almost $500,000 per show I do wonder where the love of the art has gone. She peddles underwear and perfumes on the side when I can't see any need.

Another is Rihanna who this week is pushing a mens fragrance, again she doesn't need the money, her life won't change dramatically because she's racked in a few more million pushing perfume.

Beyoncé and Jay Z are another pair of celebs that just seem to have a love of money over their art, everything seems to be abut more cash in the bank. And you can add Brad and Angelina, Sandra Bullock, George Clooney to that list.

I would have thought in a more enlightened age these celebs would be almost ashamed of their excess earnings, that they'll never be able to spend themselves, when so many are without.

I'm going to assume you earn a bit more than necessary to live, would you voluntarily give up some of your work?

Why should celebs be any different? And maybe the celebs enjoy working?
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Not just celebs - lots of people are obsessed by money and how much they have compared to their peers.

One celeb who I have noticed is absolutely obsessed by money is Howard Stern. Take away money and sex as topics and he'd have no show.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Victoria Beckham.

Money is her oxygen.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Victoria Beckham.

Money is her oxygen.

Her hubby is the same. He did a programme recently where he went off to the back of beyond to live with a remote tribe and on his return to London he said "he never gets a day off" Retire then, you've made enough money >:(
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Premiership footballers, a bunch of greedy, self obsessed idiots who care only about how much they can make each week?
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone lives by their means .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm going to assume you earn a bit more than necessary to live, would you voluntarily give up some of your work?

Why should celebs be any different? And maybe the celebs enjoy working?

I'm not saying they should give up work, if you love performing perform, it's all the extra bits on the side and the pay rise demands I don't see the need for. They have their fingers in so many pies you'd think they were going hungry.

With Britney is earning $1 million a week, that's $52 million a year, which will actually have little to no impact on her life as it currently stands. While for the average person a pay rise of a few thousand a year can significantly change things for them.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably a classic case of wanting to be wealthier than all the other singers out there. Film stars are the same. If they're being offered it though, why shouldn't they accept? If you've got a business going where the product either helps/pleases an absolute load of people, this is bound to result in you making an absolute fortune.

Edit: I'm guessing the reason why the fortunes of the very wealthy celebrities never decreases is because the very wealthy celebrities just live off the hefty interest that their fortunes earn. Also, if you don't use all of the interest, which they most likely won't, this will increase their fortune by a small amount each time.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    One example I read about recently is Britney currently banking $1 million dollars a week. She is already worth over $200 million and with her Vegas fee going up to almost $500,000 per show

If somebody offered you £1m a week for doing a job you love would you say no?
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they people like footballers, singers, actresses etc can earn millions in a week, then well done to them, they can spend it on what pleases them. I'd love to earn millions every week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are doing an honest day of work be it selling perfume, staging concerts, or doing movies. It doesn't bother me.

The money hungry ones are the ones selling themselves to the tabloids for publicity.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    Step forward the Kardashians en masse

Or as my better half calls them 'The Kardasiscums' , they are not celebrities they are reality freaks.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GracieL wrote: »
    If they people like footballers, singers, actresses etc can earn millions in a week, then well done to them, they can spend it on what pleases them. I'd love to earn millions every week.

I doubt there's any footballer that's earning millions every week. Even Wayne Rooney's not earning millions every week. The people that will be earning millions a week (when working it out) will be the highest paid actors and actresses in Hollywood. A million pound/dollars is an insane amount when it comes to a week. Except for the insanely wealthy, I doubt there's many that will be making that much a week, either through interest, or through their work.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crikey - no one has mention Katie Price yet! Si I will - over-rated, money grabbing, fame hungry, and a lousy book author to boot!
  • Options
    Badabing1966Badabing1966 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a lot of people know this but Angelina Jolie as an Ambassador for UNICEF, actually gives a third of whatever she earns to UNICEF, be it film salaries, modelling contract fees, promotional work, etc, some might say she can afford to, she doesn't have to but think about it, the more she earns the more UNICEF get, so good on her.
    Also when David Beckham signed to play for Paris St Germain he gave his entire £150,000 a week (Not one week but the whole contract wages) to a local children's charity. Again, yes he can afford to but I've never heard of another famous footballer doing that.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ultimatums wrote: »
    They are doing an honest day of work be it selling perfume, staging concerts, or doing movies. It doesn't bother me.

The money hungry ones are the ones selling themselves to the tabloids for publicity.

Absolutely this.

Anyone being paid to do an actual job be it singing, playing football, acting etc is fine by me. Whether they're overpaid or not isn't for me to decide as the people paying their wages think they're worth it.

It;s the ones with no actual career who make their living selling every fart to the rags who are far, far worse as they only seem to care about money for old rope
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know some people will think I'm being bitter and/ or 'jellus' but I actually don't envy people who are totally in thrall to the pursuit of lots of money. It can give you freedom to do some of the things you want to but when it reaches the excesses that some of the highest celeb earners can pull in and they start throwing ridiculous amounts of it away on bottles of champers and designer indulgences...it just doesn't appeal, that way of being.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The point is to make as much money as possible in your '15 minutes' - take Gareth Gates for example during his time he was doing Pepsi sponsorships, Shockwaves Wella sponsorships and at the time people thought it was too much but any showbiz career bar very rare exceptions like Betty White for example go on for decades. Reality/music stars typically have a 4-10 year time period before people lose all interest in them. So make as much as you can as fast as you can. It may be a million dollars a week but unlike regular folk once their career ends it ends so you gotta live off what you've saved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sajjad_Ali wrote: »
    The point is to make as much money as possible in your '15 minutes' - take Gareth Gates for example during his time he was doing Pepsi sponsorships, Shockwaves Wella sponsorships and at the time people thought it was too much but any showbiz career bar very rare exceptions like Betty White for example go on for decades. Reality/music stars typically have a 4-10 year time period before people lose all interest in them. So make as much as you can as fast as you can. It may be a million dollars a week but unlike regular folk once their career ends it ends so you gotta live off what you've saved.

In a way I wouldn't begrudge the reality stars, Jessie Js and Rita Ora's that are trying to milk as much out of their short time in the spotlight. But In 4 years both Britney and Beyoncé will have around for 20 years!!!

Whichever way you put it, even if the money is earned honestly, for one person to be earning $1 million a week is just crazy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why shouldn't they do what they can to make money? They wont be able to do it forever. Nothing wrong with making sure your future is comfortable....especially those who have children.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I know some people will think I'm being bitter and/ or 'jellus' but I actually don't envy people who are totally in thrall to the pursuit of lots of money. It can give you freedom to do some of the things you want to but when it reaches the excesses that some of the highest celeb earners can pull in and they start throwing ridiculous amounts of it away on bottles of champers and designer indulgences...it just doesn't appeal, that way of being.

I really couldn't agree more.:)
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a lot of people know this but Angelina Jolie as an Ambassador for UNICEF, actually gives a third of whatever she earns to UNICEF, be it film salaries, modelling contract fees, promotional work, etc, some might say she can afford to, she doesn't have to but think about it, the more she earns the more UNICEF get, so good on her.
    Also when David Beckham signed to play for Paris St Germain he gave his entire £150,000 a week (Not one week but the whole contract wages) to a local children's charity. Again, yes he can afford to but I've never heard of another famous footballer doing that.

I think that was more to do with France's laws on income tax than for anything else if I recall rightly - didn't he retain other rights?