Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread, Week #46

13»

Comments

• omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Cause everyone stops listening to Christmas songs on Boxing Day. Although I'd find it very odd if any change occurred on Boxing Day, possible reverting back the first Monday after Christmas

They did it on Boxing Day last year, including changing the EPG label despite the "platform freeze" being in force.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=70458040 see post 32 onwards
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    You won't be able to tune it in. It is in the NIT but the transponder is not modulated so until they actually switch it on you won't find these channels.

I see why bother putting it in the NIT till its needed then?
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE

12.051 V

7100 has now been relabelled "BoxNationHD"

BoxNation HD has now moved transponder, moving from 12.520 V to 12.051 V.

The new label "7100" on 12.051 V that appeared after the frequency change has now been removed.
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Cause everyone stops listening to Christmas songs on Boxing Day. Although I'd find it very odd if any change occurred on Boxing Day, possible reverting back the first Monday after Christmas

Not unusual for Christmas-themed pop-ups to disappear whilst everyone's still dusting the decorations - Smooth Christmas on DAB will flip to Smooth Extra on the 27th Dec with UTV's pop-up Wave/Signal/Pulse Xmas stations set to fall silent on the 28th.

TV's a different matter - IIRC in a prior year Bliss kept the 'Blissmas' name up until early January with a 'new year's party' format in the days post-Christmas and around the turn of the year, reverting to regular Bliss once January was properly underway, though that could just have been as CSC staff couldn't reload the regular name until either (a) they'd come back off holiday or (b) the Sky freeze was lifted...

Mind you, the idea of 'Smooth Christmas' leading into 'Smooth New Year' and then turning over to its permanent use in January seems quite a fun one, it's just a shame it didn't occur to anyone at Global before I thought of it just now...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange that King of Sat is taking time to show the changes so far to the ITV transponders aka the new SD channels on 10832 H and 10994 H despite the fact I submitted the fact that the channels appeared! http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,592
    Forum Member
    Mind you, the idea of 'Smooth Christmas' leading into 'Smooth New Year' and then turning over to its permanent use in January seems quite a fun one, it's just a shame it didn't occur to anyone at Global before I thought of it just now...

Perhaps it's Tabor and Park (Richard's) Christmas present to launch their new station on DAB. Yep, we all know it's a rehash of Smooth and probably the same songs in just a different order but that's radio for you!!
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Cool glad you changed it from Sky to 28.2 East Tests that looks good now.
    I don't think people noticed too much that you haven't been able to update for week 45, all I noticed was the thread got bigger than usual!
    I think you missed what ITV are doing with their transponders, but they might have switched everything around soon with the clearance of one of their transponders.

Yes, I noticed too- thanks Jimbo.
    What about the +1s with labels 10021 and 12105 on 10.832 H and 10.993 h respectively.

Edit sorry bad head the +1s you cant see till an hour later! I just realised!

So, when they first start, do +1 channels not start broadcasting until an hour has passed?

I'd have thought they would show black level or the previous output of the main channel for the first hour :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I noticed too- thanks Jimbo.

So, when they first start, do +1 channels not start broadcasting until an hour has passed?

I'd have thought they would show black level or the previous output of the main channel for the first hour :confused:

Lol I presume you are talking about when a channel first launches, which the ITV channels are well old now, so when they launched the +1s going back a few years they could have just showed the last hour of the main channel.
    A case of moving channels to a new transponder, at first it will just duplicate what the channel is doing on the previous transponder.
    Then when the new version is ready for proper use, the one on the previous transponder is taken down.
    ITV are now in the between stage where the new versions of their channels have started but they aren't ready to use them yet so the old ones still exist on the old transponder.

Regarding +1s again, if a channel is new I don't know what the procedure is for +1s launching along side the main channel launching, but I can imagine that it wouldn't appear on the EPG till 1hour later.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    jimbo wrote: »
    UPDATE

12.051 V

7100 has now been relabelled "BoxNationHD"

BoxNation HD has now moved transponder, moving from 12.520 V to 12.051 V.

The new label "7100" on 12.051 V that appeared after the frequency change has now been removed.

I wonder if its too much to ask for this channel to be a 24/7 simulcast of the SD channel.

Oh look at the pigs flying....
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who is the newscaster on Sky News right now? Germaldi? He looks like Phil Gayle, but younger. Thanks peeps.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edit: Gamal Fanbulleh
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol I presume you are talking about when a channel first launches, which the ITV channels are well old now, so when they launched the +1s going back a few years they could have just showed the last hour of the main channel.
    Regarding +1s again, if a channel is new I don't know what the procedure is for +1s launching along side the main channel launching, but I can imagine that it wouldn't appear on the EPG till 1hour later.

Most of the biggest +1's around - ITV, C4, Sky1, ITV2, Discovery among them - didn't come along until some time - sometimes years - after the parent channel (Discovery and Cartoon Network were the first channels to have them, though CN +1 did vanish for a bit) and so could just pick their start point and go. There's probably been the odd one about that launched on the same day as the core channel - Watch, say? TLC (the current one)? In these cases the likelihood is they just started off 1hr after the main launch, and if the feed had gone live beforehand it'd just relay any preview loop or slate the parent channel had done, though I couldn't tell you precisely what the plusses above did, and obviously each broadcaster's mileage will vary...
  • jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LBP TV on 11.428 Ghz, H, 27500, 2/3, seems to have gone off air again and has a all green test card, with 1 khz tone, no idea right now whats coming to replace it.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Week 47 is now available. Please post your observations here.

The thread will be changed still on a weekly basis, usually on Thursdays.
    Week 47 will I hope be posted on Thursday.
    Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread week 46 can be found
    Here
This discussion has been closed.