Why is SKY so greedy and mean ?

Comments

• missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    wondered how long it would take for this person to chime in.

bt sock puppet. you did not answer the question :D:D
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bt sock puppet you did not answer the question :D:D

you didn't ask a question.
    but i seem to remember you saying you had blocked me so you wouldn't see my posts... guess we all now know that was a lie.

be careful with your responses, you may fall foul of rule 2.18 - Baiting.
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    you didn't ask a question.
    but i seem to remember you saying you had blocked me so you wouldn't see my posts... guess we all now know that was a lie.

I though I did but it seams not anyway if your not rude I quite like the banter
    Forum Member
    sky are greedy which ever way you look at it or they would have died years ago
  • maninthemaskmaninthemask Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    If there was only one supermarket in this country ,would you still say you were getting value for money ??? How can you say £60+ a month is anyway reasonable. Especially with all the adverts. If more of you had the guts to cancel sky, we might have a bit more choice in this country....
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there was only one supermarket in this country ,would you still say you were getting value for money ??? How can you say £60+ a month is anyway reasonable. Especially with all the adverts. If more of you had the guts to cancel sky, we might have a bit more choice in this country....

Compare that with what one pays to go to the theatre, cinema or a Premiership football match. Have you compared Sky with Virgin there is an alternative.

It depends what one calls value for money there are those who think that 90 minutes at a Premiership football match at around £30 is value for money or £9 for one film in the cinema.

I have with Sky+ is the most user-friendly recording facility I am aware of. There are other systems I know, but they are nowhere near as easy to record on of have the facilities to do what the Sky+ box does.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Everyone has their own interpretation of what is and isn't value for money.
    Personally, when you add it up, as mentioned on here already such as the cost of going to the movies, or a EPL game, plus costs of getting there, food etc, Sky is a bargain!

Some will disagree, its your right, but £62 a month for me is worth every penny!
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    sky are greedy which ever way you look at it or they would have died years ago

Think of it like Goldilocks. Sky provides a service, for which it charges a subscription.

If it was greedy and charged too much, people wouldn't pay and Sky would go out of business.

It was really kind and charged too little, the service would make no money and Sky would go out of business.

Sky is successful, and increases subscriber numbers every year. That tends to suggest that it has got the charges just right. Just like Goldilocks. ;-)
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    a wider range of HD channels than Freesat provides. yes they do but how many are just SD upscaling so you are paying for what you think you are getting, hope you still think that's its worth it
    Only just saw this.

How many do I care for that aren't on FS (and aren't Sky Sports, although I soon clicked that Sports is what drives it all)?

ITV4 for a start, with their cycling coverage. That on its own was enough for me tbh. Sky Arts 1 & 2, admittedly a right mish-mash of HD, SD & old 4:3 presentations, but hey ho. Watch - not for me, but boy #2 likes it. Prob a few others but it's not that important tbh - it costs a few quid that I'd otherwise waste on other frivolities, and pay-tv is fine with me for now thanks. I also pay another £7 for BT Sport in HD. Is that ok with you? Hope you don't mind me spending my money how I see fit... :)
    Forum Member
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    Think of it like Goldilocks. Sky provides a service, for which it charges a subscription.

If it was greedy and charged too much, people wouldn't pay and Sky would go out of business.

It was really kind and charged too little, the service would make no money and Sky would go out of business.

Sky is successful, and increases subscriber numbers every year. That tends to suggest that it has got the charges just right. Just like Goldilocks. ;-)

that's a very good analogy, as Goldilocks was greedy and ate the porridge that did not belong to her, if Sky believe they got their charges right why do they offer a reduction to make you stay, which makes your point charged too little the service would make no money, make no sense
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvmad-alan wrote: »
    Why after you have paid for a sky+ box by joining the service and even after years of being a customer when you stop they switch off the recordable part of the box yet with other companies you get a box the fully works like ondigital/ Itv digital / top up tv/ BT / Talk Talk youview boxes / old type of sky boxes ????

They have shown the mean side again and that will try to get you resigned as soon as possible by switching software off on the box and knowing when you miss the control of recording and freezing shows you may come back .... dirty tricks

What do you expect from a company that still charges for HD?
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »
    The majority of Sky subscribers do not subscribe to sport!

The majority of Sky subscribers do not subscribe to movies!

As a Freesat fan rather than troll this forum why not contribute to the dearth of posting on the Freesat forums. The lack of posting on those forums is only matching by the lack of new customers buying freesat equipment... :p

My sister and her hubby just got one, they dumped sky a few weeks back and have now got a nice new Humax Freesat PVR.
    I think Sky is missing something by not allowing people to record on their box. If my sister and hubby could record using the sky box, maybe one day they would go back to paying for sky as they would still have the box, so easy to do. But since they have now gone out and replace the sky box with a nice new freesat box, the old Sky box is now going to be either dumped or chucked into the shed and forgotten.

so if Sky ever to get them to join again, they will need yet a new box, not that I think Sky have a ghost in hell chance of getting them back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    My sister and her hubby just got one, they dumped sky a few weeks back and have now got a nice new Humax Freesat PVR.
    I think Sky is missing something by not allowing people to record on their box. If my sister and hubby could record using the sky box, maybe one day they would go back to paying for sky as they would still have the box, so easy to do. But since they have now gone out and replace the sky box with a nice new freesat box, the old Sky box is now going to be either dumped or chucked into the shed and forgotten.

so if Sky ever to get them to join again, they will need yet a new box, not that I think Sky have a ghost in hell chance of getting them back

But if the nice new Humax Freesat PVR is so damn good why would they ever want to go back to Sky. For Sky to give free recording facilities to a subscriber who have cancelled their subscription in the hope that they may return one day is just expecting too much of any business — very nice and convenient for the ex-subscriber but virtually nothing in it for Sky
  • maninthemaskmaninthemask Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    When i cancelled sky, i ripped my sky box apart for the hard drive . and chucked the rest of the useless bits away .......
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a silly mistake to make any sensible person would have bought a Youview PVR.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you expect from a company that still charges for HD?

... and as a result GIVES access to decent range of HD CHANNELS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    racey43 wrote: »
    Where have you got the figures for the number of Sky sports and movies subscribers?

The information is easily found on the Ofcom web site and is published every 6 months.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    a wider range of HD channels than Freesat provides. yes they do but how many are just SD upscaling so you are paying for what you think you are getting, hope you still think that's its worth it

All HD channels provide HD content, they are not allowed to just show SD upscaled and call it a HD channel.

A HD channel can sometimes show content that will be upscaled, but that really depends on the channels content, for example an old comedy on Comedy Central HD.

I'd say the premium channels are more or less HD all the time.

So to answer your question BIB - none, I'm paying for a HD service and yes its worth it.
  • racey43racey43 Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    ds_reader wrote: »
    The information is easily found on the Ofcom web site and is published every 6 months.
    Can you give the link please? I couldn't find the figures.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why after you have paid for a sky+ box by joining the service and even after years of being a customer when you stop they switch off the recordable part of the box yet with other companies you get a box the fully works like ondigital/ Itv digital / top up tv/ BT / Talk Talk youview boxes / old type of sky boxes ????

They have shown the mean side again and that will try to get you resigned as soon as possible by switching software off on the box and knowing when you miss the control of recording and freezing shows you may come back .... dirty tricks

I always understood that On/ITV digital boxes no longer worked after DSO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »

Many people, like myself, found them as good as useless before DSO.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »

Many multiplex config changes rendered them useless before DSO as they couldn't handle the changes, like alot of early Freeview stuff was rendered useless at the same time
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i have other services but as I had sky way back in old days as the two satellite companies joined to make BskyB now become sky and i went digital with them then I got hold of an a sky + box £5 and I have free card still so I started it and as I have second dish I just liked the idea of getting few different channels and record more channels at the same time. ..but I read before starting the box about sky blocks of the recording on the + box and I looked into this and on sky site and i could not find a price for the + but for 6 months it's £7.45 but then £21 ... YES it's does say that + is free with a contract .. but I still think that sky is greedy that you can only us the recording part within a contract and there is not a system if not free to have a one off payment of say £30 or £10 a year ...
    I do think that companies should be made to put a full clear price list of services. .so that prices are on one page with new and old customers price together. ..
    Does anyone know if it's a software only switch to the + or is there a switch inside that could override all ???
  • MP3_4_LifeMP3_4_Life Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I pay around 90 quid a month for Sky with sport and movies and 1 multiroom box and fibre broadband this gets me skygo which is used quite well and I am happy with the service. Yes I can use things like xbmc to get the above for free (except BB obviously) but the ease of use for my family makes sure it is kept in the household (Sports may be going after my discounted deal mind). I was one of the BTVision fans for a while and slagged sky off for fun BUT for what they offer its better value. Bottom Line to the OP but a pvr off the shelf if you want to record freesatesqu programming.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if it's a software only switch to the + or is there a switch inside that could override all ???

One box (a Pace Sky+ box) could be hacked to perform Sky+ functionality without an active Sky card in the slot - but this was approx 8 years ago.

Since then all Sky+ and Sky+ HD boxes have been controlled by the card in the slot - if the card does not have Sky+ functionality on it, the box can't record (or rewind, or pause).