Options

Food For Foxes Help Needed

MadonnaMIXMadonnaMIX Posts: 9,692
Forum Member
I have three foxes that have been coming into my garden every night Mum & her two cubs , Would it be ok to put a tin of dog food out for them to eat ?

Any other sugestions on what to feed them would be a great help , With all this snow the poor things must be starving

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    If you start feeding them, you never get rid of them.

Foxes are wild animals and can find their own food. This time of year might look harsh but it provides plenty of opportunity to foxes as there is more food about not less as the snow makes birds weaker and easier to get.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I normally wouldn't feed them , but all three are very thin , And the snow is up to my knees here
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cat food is ideal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cat food is ideal

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We put a mixture of dog and cat food out - the foxes love it so do the hedgehogs earlier in the autumn and some of the birds get stuck in too.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    They will eat your leftovers too - they aren't generally fussy.
  • Options
    19711971 Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes they love cat food - but generally any scraps.

Some good tips here:
    http://www.foxes.org/urbanfox/feeding.html
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's up to you of course, but in my opinion urban foxes should not be encouraged by way of food given to them.
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    MadonnaMIX wrote: »
    I normally wouldn't feed them , but all three are very thin , And the snow is up to my knees here

Good for you, I would do the same if the animals were thin and cubs were involved none of us know how long this cold spell is going to last .:)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung! wrote: »
    It's up to you of course, but in my opinion urban foxes should not be encouraged by way of food given to them.

After the horrendes experiance my parents had last year with foxes, I agree with this.
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I wouldnt encourage foxes either..they will keep coming back..which you may like,but they will get braver..if you have a cat or small dog..then be warned they will have a go at most things and do kill at random and for pleasure..and i speak from experience after my sons chicken shed,my rabbits and our cat were all attacked..only our cat survived..barely though..I wasnt surprised in the slightest by the fox attacks earlier this year..they are more brazen than ever and dont need encouragement.
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    shirlt9 wrote: »
    I wouldnt encourage foxes either..they will keep coming back..which you may like,but they will get braver..if you have a cat or small dog..then be warned they will have a go at most things and do kill at random and for pleasure..and i speak from experience after my sons chicken shed,my rabbits and our cat were all attacked..only our cat survived..barely though..I wasnt surprised in the slightest by the fox attacks earlier this year..they are more brazen than ever and dont need encouragement.

Sadly these things do happen as foxes are naturally predators but if people had not destroyed their natural habitat then they would not have to come into towns and cities looking for food and shelter, these animals are no different than human beings in that respect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the tips & links , I will only be putting food out for them while the snow is here

I understand what some of you are saying about Not encouraging foxes , But i live in the outskirts of Glasgow
    I am surrounded by the countryside so i'm not bringing them into the city center
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    give them anything im sure they will be grateful, poor things and the badgers too
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MadonnaMIX wrote: »
    I have three foxes that have been coming into my garden every night Mum & her two cubs , Would it be ok to put a tin of dog food out for them to eat ?
    NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGH!!!!

Foxes belong in the countryside not the suburbs! You will do more damage to the cubs in the long run than if you leave them alone. They will never learn to hunt (why hunt when they can get their food on a plate) and come the summer time they will starve anyway. Or if you keep feeding them they will breed more foxes that will hang round houses, becoming a pest - and getting the pest control out to kill them.

We have foxes round where we live and they are a pain in the arse. They rip up bins and drag the contents all over streets and gardens. It doesnt help that the dirty kebab meat factory doesnt store their trash properly, but if you feed them you only encourage them to keep coming back.

If foxes and other wild animals really struggled that much in the countryside they would have died out as a species a long time ago.
    1971 wrote: »

* The most serious problem is that the animals may become habituated to people. As they lose their fear of people, they will become bolder in approaching people and may put themselves in hazardous situations they would normally avoid. Not all people are well-disposed towards wildlife, remember. Those who aren't actively hostile may be afraid of an over-friendly animal, especially a raccoon or a fox, notorious rabies carriers (although raccoons and domestic dogs are more likely to be carrying rabies than foxes are).
    * Another concern is that the animals, if fed regularly, will come to depend on humans for their food. They won't starve if you stop feeding them, but they will be hungry and unafraid of people, and could get very aggressive in approaching other people.
    * There is always the fact that these are wild animals. They may eat tamely out of your hand for weeks on end, and one day they may be startled by something and bite you. If you are bitten by a wild fox, you should report the injury to a hospital, which will notify the state department of health. You will probably have to get a series of rabies shots, which are expensive and painful (though they are given in the arm and not the stomach). There is even a chance that someone will come out to try to find the fox that bit you, in which case it will have to be killed for tests.
    surely that tells you all you need to know?
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    Sadly these things do happen as foxes are naturally predators but if people had not destroyed their natural habitat then they would not have to come into towns and cities looking for food and shelter, these animals are no different than human beings in that respect.

you dont need to encourage them though! Christ what is wrong with people!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dont live in the city i'm out in the countryside surrounded by trees & fields , The snow is above the foxes head

I do agree with a lot of what the above poster said , But is it right to watch three animals starve , The cubs are tiny & boney ,The mother is stick thin You can see every bone on her body
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shirlt9 wrote: »

Foxes do not kill for pleasure. That's ridiculous. They kill as much as possible at once with the intention of returning for the food, whether to store it or to eat it. They don't kill pet rabbits to piss people off.
    NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGH!!!!

Foxes belong in the countryside not the suburbs! You will do more damage to the cubs in the long run than if you leave them alone. They will never learn to hunt (why hunt when they can get their food on a plate) and come the summer time they will starve anyway. Or if you keep feeding them they will breed more foxes that will hang round houses, becoming a pest - and getting the pest control out to kill them.

We have foxes round where we live and they are a pain in the arse. They rip up bins and drag the contents all over streets and gardens. It doesnt help that the dirty kebab meat factory doesnt store their trash properly, but if you feed them you only encourage them to keep coming back.

If foxes and other wild animals really struggled that much in the countryside they would have died out as a species a long time ago.

surely that tells you all you need to know?

:rolleyes:

Foxes are omnivores and oppurtunists. They can survive in a multitude of habitats, eating a very wide array of foods depending on their location. Any fox cub that is raised by a vixen will be taught basic hunting skills that it shall retain throughout it's life. Unless a cub has been raised by humans and doesn't know how to hunt, it will not become reliant on being fed by humans and starve if that feeding stops. Urban foxes are aided by human food waste, and why not? They have as much right to love in our cities as we do.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Foxes are almost considered vermin now. Best not to encourage them with food.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used to take our chicken left overs etc over to the woods and leave it for the foxes but when I mentioned it to someone who works for the Forestry Commission they said I shouldn't as it makes the cubs lazy and they lose their hunting skills which causes more problems when the food isn't left out and then they migrate further into towns where food is left out and easier to come by. I dont know if that's true but it ties in with what Daisy said..
  • Options
    19711971 Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try take some pics OP

Try not placing the food in same place each night, so they don't get too familiar with you feeding them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Meat pies. They love them!

Easy to throw (they'll be eating them from your hand if fed regularly). Very fatty (pastry) and very meaty. Lots of calories - will keep them going through winter.

A security guard at my father's offices would sit in his portocabin and feed the foxes who would turn up in their droves. One night my father drove us to his place of work and we watched the old man feed them (unbeknowns to him) and talk to them - from a distance you would have thought they were tame dogs the way they were with him (the vixons - female - were particularly tame). Was quite lovely to watch, especially when he dozed off and they laid down by his cabin (Dad wasn't too pleased at that for some reason :D). Anyway, he would throw them meat pies.

In this weather the fatty pastry and calorific contents will keep them going.
  • Options
    jim4bbjim4bb Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may sound cruel but a harsh winter is natures way of making population adjustments. So you should not feed them its survival of the fittest.

However being the softy I am I would probably feed them.
  • Options
    Doll FeetDoll Feet Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a ridiculously short-sighted statement. How can you be unaware that until relatively recently there was a lot more countryside and consequently prey/food to sustain wild animals throughout harsh winters than there is now.

Humans have left wildlife struggling because we've removed their habitat and most of what nature provided to sustain them. Without human interference and encroachment wildlife has been proving for aeons that they're perfectly adept at surviving the harshest that nature has to throw at them.

As for your quote warning of the danger of catching rabies from foxes and statement "surely that tells you all you need to know?" - all it tells me is that you're ill-informed and evidently unaware that we don't currently have rabid foxes (or raccoons) in this country.

Op, foxes are omnivores, they're not fussy, they'll eat anything.
  • Options
    tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My foxes love cat food. the cat scares them off though :)... see photos http://www.facebook.com/tony.seaton.southampton?v=photos#!/album.php?aid=203887&id=739137267