Options

Unless he's killed off I think Dean could come back (poss spoilers)

boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
Forum Member
✭✭
I think we all realise now that the Linda rape reveal (probably around Christmas) will result in Dean leaving Walford in the aftermath.
although Im hearing that rape is irredeemable (& I agree) I don't actually think that its a guarantee that Dean can never return.

I think that if murderers in Walford can return that a rapist could in the future, no matter how unpalatable it is to us now. As many are saying, Dean's rape sl is being played in a different way, he is not seen as a panto baddie, or thoroughly evil. Once this taboo has been broken there are likely to be similarly plotted rapes in other soaps where the perpetrator is not played as utterly evil. of these, a few will either not leave the show after the event, or be re-occuring characters.

Because a rapist character cannot be conceived of as returning to a show now, doesnt mean that the same perception will be present in 5-10 yrs time.

Add to this Dean's connections at the heart of the Square (Mick, Shirley, Linda being the mother of his child??) none of whom look like they're leaving any time soon, I'd say that he'd be suited to a return in a few years.
Depends on whether the actor would want to of course! (and as long as Dean doesnt die at the reveal!)

Comments

• Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He will forever be a baddie from now on
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Time could possibly tone down feelings in the future I suppose, but he will always be a rapist. It depends on how Dean is written after the reveal and if he's not killed!
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I like the actor but there's no way on earth that the character should return to the square after raping Linda! If he did Mick would finish him off for good.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping it's mental health realayed.
    He has been unstable and certainly was the night of the rape after Shirley leaving him again.

When it's all revealed Shirley should step up and get his mental health sorted out. It's the best way to redeem him in anyone's eyes and atleast he didn't purposely murder linda like some rapists do. Dean I find a fanistating character ATM because it's just unclear where he is going next.
  • Options
    Imogen_GaleontiImogen_Galeonti Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I'm more excited to see how Shirley reacts and she's going to make a hard decision between Mick and Dean. Shirley may feel partly responsible for Dean's rape because if she didn't abandon him again, Dean might have not raped Linda.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just ask if Dean has ever acknowledged the rape? I remember in the beginning that he seemed genuinely convinced that it was totally consensual.

Perhaps he could be redeemed if he realises what he did, takes responsibility, and seeks help?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dean has never acknowledged what he's done. He doesn't seem to realise that it wasn't consensual.
  • Options
    SandsssSandsss Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone not remember DTC saying the outcome of this story will not be what you think? I'm also sure he said they were still planning this story and the consequences well into next year. I don't think Dean will be leaving until well after the 30th Anniversary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    craig_25 wrote: »
    Can I just ask if Dean has ever acknowledged the rape? I remember in the beginning that he seemed genuinely convinced that it was totally consensual.

Perhaps he could be redeemed if he realises what he did, takes responsibility, and seeks help?

I don't think a rapist can ever be redeemed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »

Very true. I just wondered if DTC may try to take a different angle on things, and explore things from Deans point of view, maybe ask the audience 'can a rapist ever be redeemed if he did what he did due to mental health issues?' it would certainly be controversial and cause some debate.

If a murderer can serve his time and walk back into the community, would we accept the same of a rapist?
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I agree, if not killed off then he should leave for good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I agree, if not killed off then he should leave for good.

Agreed. Shame to lose Dean though. I had high hopes for him when he was re-introduced :(
  • Options
    issy17issy17 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    I think he might commit suicide..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    issy17 wrote: »

This is definitely a possibility. Dean's tried it before (Kevin and the lighter in the car lot....I think) and so it wouldn't be out of character under the circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    issy17 wrote: »

I am yet to see a convincing and compelling suicide in soap. I would welcome this, if done correctly.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why not?

Ben killed Heather
    Stacey killed Archie
    Janine killed Barry
    Ronnie stole Kats baby
    Alfie burned Kat
    Billy abused Jamie
    Pat Butcher killed a child
    Nick killed Eddie

so why cant Dean have a future?

I don't get why people think sexual invasion is worse than a taking a life. Rape is horrendous but viewers have forgiven worse.
  • Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Any Emmerdale fans on here that can correct me on this one? I swear there was a storyline a few years back of a convicted rapist who came to the village, who was shunned by pretty much everybody. I believe the storyline was dropped due to viewers complaints....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any Emmerdale fans on here that can correct me on this one? I swear there was a storyline a few years back of a convicted rapist who came to the village, who was shunned by pretty much everybody. I believe the storyline was dropped due to viewers complaints....

I didn't really watch ED when that happened, but was that something to do with Pearl's grandson?
  • Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I didn't really watch ED when that happened, but was that something to do with Pearl's grandson?

Yeah, that sounds about right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that sounds about right.

Yeah Pearls son. Convicted of rape of a neighbour, and moved to the village to be with his mother upon release. He was beaten to a pulp, by Scott Windsor who mistakenly thought he had tried to rape Donna.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CherryRose wrote: »
    Why not?

Ben killed Heather
    Stacey killed Archie
    Janine killed Barry
    Ronnie stole Kats baby
    Alfie burned Kat
    Billy abused Jamie
    Pat Butcher killed a child
    Nick killed Eddie

so why cant Dean have a future?

I don't get why people think sexual invasion is worse than a taking a life. Rape is horrendous but viewers have forgiven worse.

I think rape is every bit as bad as taking a life! >:( I think that unless someone has been raped themselves they don't really understand how devastating it is. It ruins lives especially if a pregnancy comes out of it like Linda's rape.