Options

Week 6 Big Band Song Choices

Comments

• Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stereo Kicks @StereoKicks · 1h 1 hour ago
    It's all about rehearsing now!! On our way back to the house after a long day at studio! The Rehearsing continues 😝 - Casey

We still don't know the song :D
  • Options
    BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lauren's song choice is so bloody predictable, can she not be given something to push her even a little bit?

Cheryl was quoted in an interview as saying she wouldn't push her into anything she was uncomfortable doing. Commendable in one way, hypocritical in another :(
  • Options
    dog_eat_dogdog_eat_dog Posts: 3,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lauren's song choice is so bloody predictable, can she not be given something to push her even a little bit?

There was a rumour going around Twitter today that she was going to be singing 'Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend'.

I reckon that would have made her stand out more and showed more of her personality off.
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a rumour going around Twitter today that she was going to be singing 'Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend'.

I reckon that would have made her stand out more and showed more of her personality off.

Oh that's a shame.

I suspect she couldn't handle the "performance" aspect, best to just plonk her on a stool and sing a ballad. As per...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh that's a shame.

I suspect she couldn't handle the "performance" aspect, best to just plonk her on a stool and sing a ballad. As per...

It is a shame.....I do love that song!
  • Options
    EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    "I'd love to see the meltdown on this forum"

If that's not baiting and trolling then I don't know what is.

Alright I'll give you an example.

If someone went onto Fleur's appreciation thread and said "Fleur is terrible and her fans are all idiots", it'd be baiting and trolling, as they specifically went to a place where Fleur fans would be, and said something negative purposely to get a reaction.

Saying "I'd love to see the meltdown on the forum" isn't baiting/trolling because they're not the one causing it. Just saying they'd like to see how the forum reacted if it happened. There's a difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alright I'll give you an example.

If someone went onto Fleur's appreciation thread and said "Fleur is terrible and her fans are all idiots", it'd be baiting and trolling, as they specifically went to a place where Fleur fans would be, and said something negative purposely to get a reaction.

Saying "I'd love to see the meltdown on the forum" isn't baiting/trolling because they're not the one causing it. Just saying they'd like to see how the forum reacted if it happened. There's a difference.

Is it like saying 'I'd like to see Simons face if he had two of his acts in the sing off?'

It doesn't mean you dislike the two acts - it just means you'd like to see Simons reaction ;-)
  • Options
    E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Changing the hot topic of discussion slightly. ...anyone know what SK are singing yet???

it could be the performance of the 'moment', hence the last minute change! !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    E05297535 wrote: »
    Changing the hot topic of discussion slightly. ...anyone know what SK are singing yet???

I think everyone's waiting to hear if they got 'That's Life' - AKA the song of death!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    E05297535 wrote: »

Their last tweet gives nothing away:

It's all about rehearsing now!! On our way back to the house after a long day at studio! The Rehearsing continues 😝 - Casey
  • Options
    Kenneth_ChowKenneth_Chow Posts: 3,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    Their last tweet gives nothing away:

Who has time to tweet a day before the big performance especially since they got the song hours ago...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't decide on themes at all - Simon did. What's the point in having themes if you can just sing any old song?

Disco theme - let's just sing Shake It Off by Taylor Swift wearing hot pants with a disco ball spinning overhead and a picture of the Bee-Gees on the backround screen.

80's theme - let's just sing My Humps by Fergie wearing shoulder pads and legwarmers with a stern looking chap playing a synthesiser in the backround and a picture of Alison Moyet on the backround screen.

Do you see where I'm gong with this....?

LOL! When did I miss these performances?

I would argue that the "Swing era" big band treatment has been applied to a diverse range of songs right from its inception in the 30s.

In addition, the `"big band" sound has diversified since the days of swing and the ratpack. Doesn't Strictly use a big band most of the time?

So I can accept that Big Band Week uses all kind of songs, so long as the big band is there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    Very boring and predictable choice for Lauren as always,there's no denying she has a good voice but it's only good she doesn't push herself,make songs her own,I'm finding her so boring now ..... Interesting choice for Andrea,I loved it when Leona Lewis sung it so I think Andrea will hopefully do a great job
  • Options
    JennieXJennieX Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    BEN HAENOW

Just had a quick browse through and noted that Ben Haenow is not one of the favourites on here.- Why not?

He is much better than Andrea and Stevi. He is MY FAVOURITE and I think he could win!: :cool:
  • Options
    hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jean4ever wrote: »
    BEN HAENOW

Just had a quick browse through and noted that Ben Haenow is not one of the favourites on here.- Why not?

He is much better than Andrea and Stevi. He is MY FAVOURITE and I think he could win!: :cool:

Agree love Ben and really looking forward to hearing him sing Cry Me a River
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    Oh that's a shame.

She has Never sat on a stool, ande doesnt just stand there either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    She has Never sat on a stool, ande doesnt just stand there either.

In fairness, Brian Friedman openly criticised her for throwing a hissy fit when he suggested a few easy dance moves a few weeks back. She does prefer to just stand and sing, rather than overly exert herself! That's fine, but it can be seen by some as rather one note and boring after a while.
  • Options
    BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fairness, Brian Friedman openly criticised her for throwing a hissy fit when he suggested a few easy dance moves a few weeks back. She does prefer to just stand and sing, rather than overly exert herself! That's fine, but it can be seen by some as rather one note and boring after a while.

and by seen by some as selfish and lucky i.e. other fans of acts who have gone because of this crap - why should she get away with it? I don't like Brian for being biased etc on a number of acts but you can't help thinking therefore that despite Brian saying that Simon has decided that even if she does not win she cannot be criticised and will finish in a certain order and not be given 'constructive' criticism.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Fleur has decided to not adhere to the theme this week and instead pick whatever she wants. Wow, that's fair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Fleur has decided to not adhere to the theme this week and instead pick whatever she wants. Wow, that's fair.

Exactly... If ever someone went completely off the theme...this is it...I mean... People talk about slowing down songs etc....Fleur didn't even pick a big band song...not only that..it is something she already sang...how great ...*eye rolls*...
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    But does the british public know the song?

It is the second most well known song from Jungle Book, I'm pretty sure the Bristish Public will know they song
  • Options
    KittygodfreeKittygodfree Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very predictable choices noone can sing summertime like ella and cry me a river is the typical older bloke show stopper yawn
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    If we still don't know StereoKicks song they're going to have barely any time to rehearse

Just another 'Stunt/sob story' to get then through another week, just like last weeks 'Stage(d) Invasion'
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why people are getting their knickers in a twist about the songs not adhering to the theme, IMO this theme is a lot more open to interpretation than say Rock Week which in the past has seen artists sing songs by Rock Legends like err...Katy Perry, Ke$ha and Gnarls Barkley. IMO, Big Band should be open to modern songs provided they are done with a big band arrangement, jazzy flavour. Like in Series 4 when one of the acts did Valerie by Amy Winehouse. I'm just glad nobody is doing Mr. bloody Bojangles or Feeling Good...in before SK do a mash-up of the two lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Not sure why people are getting their knickers in a twist about the songs not adhering to the theme, IMO this theme is a lot more open to interpretation than say Rock Week which in the past has seen artists sing songs by Rock Legends like err...Katy Perry, Ke$ha and Gnarls Barkley. IMO, Big Band should be open to modern songs provided they are done with a big band arrangement, jazzy flavour. Like in Series 4 when one of the acts did Valerie by Amy Winehouse. I'm just glad nobody is doing Mr. bloody Bojangles or Feeling Good...in before SK do a mash-up of the two lol

It should be open to modern songs with the big band style... Michael Buble tracks, Candyman, Mambo #5 etc....anything like bang bang ..no...you completely missed the point of the theme if you went so out of the box...Its unfair, I'm sure almost everyone would pick something more modern if they could, but they aren't allowed... Simon would not let them...ts only cuz Fleur is Simon's act that she is allowed to do this ..everyone else would be blasted by Simon for going off the theme rules...BTW, I think Amy winehouse songs fit the theme...