Options

EE - Should DTC come up with a plausable storyline to bring back Kathy or Cindy?

Comments

• Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    No
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Surely folks have learnt with the disastrous return of Sharon that characters are best left in*the past. Sharon was hailed as this huge return and once the initial story has played out they didn't know what to do with her. EE became very successful very quickly with a totally new cast. It should be about future and new stories. There appears to be a small group on here who idolise past characters and demonise new as though it is a badge of honour. I am more of an EE fan if I want Kathy to return and start dislike threads about Carters. I'm an ultimate fan and believe I can dictate to Producers by threatening to stop watching if Michelle is recast. Who even knows what Susan Tully looks like for god sake.

Brilliant post. This, just this. 1000000000000% agree.
  • Options
    james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    Brilliant post. This, just this. 1000000000000% agree.

Yet if your qeeen Shirley left and was then recast in 5 years you wouldn't be agreeing ;)
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't Know
    Yet if your qeeen Shirley left and was then recast in 5 years you wouldn't be agreeing ;)

Ouch! :D Must admit if Angie walked in and said "Ello darlings, I've been trapped in rehab" I'd buy it! :D
  • Options
    SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    No she died get over it. Taylforth has no say in anything Katy is done. There is no plausable way to bring her back. Even is they faked her death she would make sure Ben was kept from Phil etc. Cindy the same she loved her kids. She would never have left mini Cindy.
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    No
    No! No! No! They are Dea, Gone and Burried. I knwe this EE Ghosts was going to be a bad idea as it would stir up the 'Bring back X even though they are dead' rubbish.
  • Options
    dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I don't see why people think Kathy returning is so implausible. After being in such an accident she was claimed to have died in, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume she had amnesia and had been living a whole other life. Or that she was kidnapped by a criminal gang her husband Gavin was involved in. Or as many have suggested, witness protection. My least favourite scenario but still completely plausible.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    I don't see why people think Kathy returning is so implausible. After being in such an accident she was claimed to have died in, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume she had amnesia and had been living a whole other life. Or that she was kidnapped by a criminal gang her husband Gavin was involved in. Or as many have suggested, witness protection. My least favourite scenario but still completely plausible.

because if she had gone in witness protection Ben would of gone with her. Kathy would have done anything to keep Ben away from phil. or if she was leaving him behind she would have ensured that he stayed with Ben.

Honestly if she has to go in witness protection to escape a criminial gang cos she fears for her life why on earth would she leavr her small child behind. it just does not make any sense and to walk back in after all these years is just not plausible in any way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    soap-lea wrote: »
    because if she had gone in witness protection Ben would of gone with her. Kathy would have done anything to keep Ben away from phil. or if she was leaving him behind she would have ensured that he stayed with Ben.

Honestly if she has to go in witness protection to escape a criminial gang cos she fears for her life why on earth would she leavr her small child behind. it just does not make any sense and to walk back in after all these years is just not plausible in any way

This is why I think witness protection is the weakest plot. But ultimately SA has gangs capable of faking someones death.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    The only character that they could POSSIBLY bring back is Kathy, I don't think anyone actually saw Kathy's body. I suppose it worked for Dirty Den, but she is the character that could be a possibility.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    0...0 wrote: »
    I'm in 2 minds. The 'realism' ship sailed years ago and this year alone we've had:

people buying pubs on Xmas Day with a holdall of cash and no survey,

a whole clan of Shirley's never before mentioned family springing out of nowhere and suddenly becoming super close, with a retread of Kat/Zoe thrown in for good measure,

Phil being shot again and out of hospital in 2 weeks,a year after his 3rd car crash( he must cry when it's insurance renewal day - I bet the Meerkat just laughs when he fills the details in),

Sharon on her 3rd wedding in 2 years and becoming ever so forgiving of the thug she's married,

a caretaker posing as a cop and Dot hiding out her 'dead' son,

Max hypnotising another lovely filly young enough to be his daughter with his magic penis, then doing the same to the dopy cop investigating her murder,

and Stacey getting 3 months for murder.

Amongst all that lot Kathy going undercover at special request of Nelson Mandela might not be such a stretch. :p

You win this thread! :D
    CherryRose wrote: »
    The only character that they could POSSIBLY bring back is Kathy, I don't think anyone actually saw Kathy's body. I suppose it worked for Dirty Den, but she is the character that could be a possibility.

Exactly. Cindy died in prison, Pat died at home and Tiffany was seen dying in the street. They really are dead and gone and that's that. But Kathy's death was much vaguer, and IMO Gillian Taylforth completely stole the Ian's Ghosts CIN thing last night. I'm all for bringing her back!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No

oops. end of first paragraph I mean Ian:blush:
  • Options
    Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I'd accept them bringing Pat back despite seeing her die onscreen, I wouldn't care how, I'd accept it without question just to have Auntie Patricia back on the Square :D

Re: Kathy, I've always been very much in the "she's dead, get over it" camp, but IF they wanted to bring her back then there's never been a better time. With the Cottons faking/covering up Nick's death, when it comes out, imagine Ian confiding to Dot that he helped his mum do the same thing. And all those visits to Michelle have really been him visiting Kathy. In fact maybe Kathy's with Michelle and that's the real reason Michelle can never put herself out of her way for major family events 😂
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    As for witness protection and Ben, my money would be on Kathy having a premonition of how Ben was going to turn out and it's him she's been hiding from all these years :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    And can you imagine Sharon's face if Kathy swept back into Walford? Fighting Shirley for Phil's dubious affections was one thing, but Kaff? I'd suspend disbelief for that scene alone!
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't Know
    I've previously been against it but it just felt so right seeing Kathy and Pat back in the show last night...

Someone mentioned above that it would be a disaster because Sharon's return was. I'd say the context is completely different. I don't deny that it would be a huge feat and a stretch of credibility to facilitate it, but once you're around that problem there's never been a better time for Kathy to be needed on the square.

Her sons are a mess. Ben is a messed up and fragile ticking timebomb that she abandoned years ago, and her granddaughter has been brutally murdered. It's a goldmine of storyline opportunity. Contrast that to Sharon who returned to get together with Jack ****ing Branning and have a vague 2 week drug addiction, not to mention her crap son.

I don't think it would be easy for Kathy to return, but it sure as hell would be interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    oops. end of first paragraph I mean Ian:blush:
    Ben was supposed to live with Ian when Kathy died, but Phil muscled in and claimed his spawn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    Ben was supposed to live with Ian when Kathy died, but Phil muscled in and claimed his spawn.

No Ian realised in time, that Ben should live with his dad and get to know him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    No Ian realised in time, that Ben should live with his dad and get to know him.
    That went well... :D
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No
    CherryRose wrote: »
    Cindy would be a more plausible return as her statements would have been used as evidence against the assassin John Valecue. So there's a valid reason for her death to be faked as part of a Witness Protection deal. The story elements are mostly there with just the one part missing to explain Cindy's survival.

With Kathy, however, an elaborate story would need to be concocted from scratch. That would really stretch the show's credibility too far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Join the Kathy Beale revolution!

https://twitter.com/danthomastaylor/status/533622287858024448

Or just hashtag: #BringBackKathy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Cindy would be a more plausible return as her statements would have been used as evidence against the assassin John Valecue. So there's a valid reason for her death to be faked as part of a Witness Protection deal. The story elements are mostly there with just the one part missing to explain Cindy's survival.

With Kathy, however, an elaborate story would need to be concocted from scratch. That would really stretch the show's credibility too far.

DTC just posted this on twitter

@dominictc: Cindy, Kathy, Pat and Lucy were brought to life by the utterly brilliant director @Davmoo50 - The Ghosts of Ian Beale #EastEnders

can't be a ghost unless you are dead:D
    although I do agree that cindy is more plausible than Kathy but they are both dead :p
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    No

Nope. I wouldn't. If they killed her off then I wouldn't accept her coming back like i wouldnt with any character. Esp if it was after almost a decade...

And, I did notice the little dig there...
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kathy, Yes

Cindy, No
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Yes
    I think they could get away with it. Kathy's return would have the biggest impact, how Ian and especially Ben would react. And the flashback idea someone suggested would be good, seeing as Gillian Taylforth looks the same as she did 10 years ago.

Also on another note, why has the 'Kathy's' neon sign in the cafe been replaced by a 'Cindy's' one? I didn't watch in 2012/13 so this always puzzles me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No

Pretty much, i do not think people are thinking with logic, more with blind faith to one of their favs. I mean would she still fit in the square now, would the writing for her be good as say the Carters right now.

i just think people need to take a step back and think about it probably. Is it best for the show or them?