Bauer Place changes

Comments

• sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »
    At the moment some of the presenters, Nick Wright in particular refer to the town the listener is emailing from. I assume that will stop. You can't have texts read out on Metro 2 sent by Bill in Warrington or Len in Leeds.
    They read out the town people are e-mailing from on the Scottish stations.
  • listeninglistening Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    The gremlins hit in Liverpool this morning. Radio City went to dead air prior to the news at 0600hrs then broadcast the Clyde 1 breakfast show hosted by Brian Marshall including initially Clyde 1 jingles then adverts from both stations! The 0800hrs news was completely lost after more dead air, followed by a short Queen track. Interestingly the scheduled still showed Stu & Kelly suggesting the programme should have come from Newcastle. In the meantime over on Magic 1548 it was even more bizarre, as there was no Mike Read, DAB signal appeared to be dead air whilst on 1548 it was continuous rock must from about 0800 to 0830 with the first Magic jingle airing at about 0830. DAB was still dead at this time but the online stream was going showing the presenter as Mike Read, then about 0845hrs a Kerrang aired. At 0910 I caught Ray Rose mention he had started his show an early because of some things being shifted around and other things. All very curious, perhaps there a problem at Newcastle programmes and feeds being distributed to the Tower and possibly other northern Bauer stations?
  • NewbieBen12NewbieBen12 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    It would appear Metro Radio's syndicated Stu & Kelly 6-9am didn't make it to air accross the North of England stations - "No radio show this morning. Computers actually melted." @stuartaelmore on Twitter.
  • John CollinsJohn Collins Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I don't think there are ant Brian Marshall's a Clyde - I'll think you'll find it was Grant who saved the day: http://www.clyde1.com/djs/homerun/

Top bloke!
  • listeninglistening Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I don't think there are ant Brian Marshall's a Clyde - I'll think you'll find it was Grant who saved the day: http://www.clyde1.com/djs/homerun/

Top bloke!

That was also the other curious part, I'm sure the presenter said he was Brian Marshall at least twice on the bits I heard and I checked the Clyde 1 website and Google before I posted but could not find any trace? You may be correct but would be interested to know if anybody else caught the programme?
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    I heard Billy Sloan say last night his last show would be 28th Dec.
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not ? Isnt that the same as reading out a letter from Leeds on Magic 1152 ?

Because they are making a big thing of being local. Emphasising the heritage names.
  • Declan_McGrath1Declan_McGrath1 Posts: 7,296
    Forum Member
    I heard the technical glitches yesterday on radio city 96.7 i love when radio goes wrong
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard Billy Sloan say last night his last show would be 28th Dec.

Inevitably a show from Manchester replacing Billy Sloan. Shocking.
  • phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Inevitably a show from Manchester replacing Billy Sloan. Shocking.

It is most likely the show is going to come from Newcastle Upon Tyne as the existing Magic North stations are networked from there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is most likely the show is going to come from Newcastle Upon Tyne as the existing Magic North stations are networked from there.

Ok. But even so it's not going to be from Scotland.

A Newcastle based show airing to Scotland on a DAB and standard radio in place of a Scottish based show on the same station is going to see a sudden big drop in listening figures.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All Bauer London stations (Kiss, Magic, Absolute) are experiencing technical difficulties caused by a power cut at One Golden Square, all are currently playing a back-up CD at present.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. But even so it's not going to be from Scotland.

A Newcastle based show airing to Scotland on a DAB and standard radio in place of a Scottish based show on the same station is going to see a sudden big drop in listening figures.

It may but it will also save a lot of cash, so long as it doesn't effect listening too much there will still be a profit in getting rid of the jock and doing it networked.
  • KempoKempo Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmnn...chasing cars now playing for 3rd time in a row on magic fm......problems indeed
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technical issues were so much better in the old days when it was just the record that skipped or stuck or was knocked accidentally, or a cart sounded warbled as it fired off slowly.....
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kempo wrote: »
    Hmnn...chasing cars now playing for 3rd time in a row on magic fm......problems indeed

That song played just the once is a problem for me :D
  • digiwigidigiwigi Posts: 1,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard lots of clashing tunes on Heat earlier; guess it was linked to the power failure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    It may but it will also save a lot of cash, so long as it doesn't effect listening too much there will still be a profit in getting rid of the jock and doing it networked.

But there is a big danger of the smaller stations in the Bauer Group going off air altogether if they lose too many listeners due to over extensive networking, especially Radio Borders and West FM programming mainly coming from Manchester, or Westsound FM and Westsound AM programming mainly coming from Newcastle e.g.

Their DJ savings could result in a much lower profit if too many listeners switch to other commercial stations that are truly local and play many of the same hits. There's no point Bauer saving £200,000 in savings but losing out on £3,000,000 in profit.

Bauer are gambling on not losing more of their profits than DJ savings they are making. There are plenty of proper ilr stations on FM in Scotland who will likely gain many listeners from Bauer after hearing e.g. a Hull born DJ broadcasting from the Newcastle studio on GHN instead of one of their favourite Scottish DJ's.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Tuned into Clyde 1 for the news at 2pm the other day. Found no news but a blatantly networked show from Key 103 instead. Sighed, switched to Spotify and haven't been back.

I have no particular objection to networking as a thing - I get that the fractured media landscape means advertising cash is being divided between more and more choices, and local radio can't operate like it did in the 80s. But a jarring hour of networking that sounds nothing like the rest of the output and the omission of a news bulletin from a newsteam which is presumably in the building anyway? How much money can it possibly save?

There's pruning to keep your profits up and giving up and going home.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is it with all the Scots moaning on here about a show being networked?? It's Magic you don't listen to Magic for the presenters you listen to it for the oldie music.

It isn't a talk show if you listen to Magic for the presenters you are listening to the wrong station.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,619
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    What is it with all the Scots moaning on here about a show being networked?? It's Magic you don't listen to Magic for the presenters you listen to it for the oldie music.

It isn't a talk show if you listen to Magic for the presenters you are listening to the wrong station.

Many listeners tune into local radio for BOTH the music AND friendly, local voices.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But there is a big danger of the smaller stations in the Bauer Group going off air altogether if they lose too many listeners due to over extensive networking, especially Radio Borders and West FM programming mainly coming from Manchester, or Westsound FM and Westsound AM programming mainly coming from Newcastle e.g.

Their DJ savings could result in a much lower profit if too many listeners switch to other commercial stations that are truly local and play many of the same hits. There's no point Bauer saving £200,000 in savings but losing out on £3,000,000 in profit.

Bauer are gambling on not losing more of their profits than DJ savings they are making. There are plenty of proper ilr stations on FM in Scotland who will likely gain many listeners from Bauer after hearing e.g. a Hull born DJ broadcasting from the Newcastle studio on GHN instead of one of their favourite Scottish DJ's.

Do Radio Borders or West FM have a local competitor? Even Clyde, in Scotland's biggest city, is basically just competing against other stations that are networked during daytime. On the FM dial in Glasgow between 2-3pm, you've got XFM 96.3 (London), Heart 100.3 (London), Smooth 105.2 (London), Clyde 1 102.5 (Manchester), Capital 106.1 (London). All that's coming from Scotland (on FM, in Glasgow) might be a weak signal of Your Radio, a few community stations and BBC Radio Scotland/Nan Gaidheal. Clyde 1 is at least Scottish for most of daytime; where will its disaffected listeners go?
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    But a jarring hour of networking that sounds nothing like the rest of the output and the omission of a news bulletin from a newsteam which is presumably in the building anyway? How much money can it possibly save?

There's pruning to keep your profits up and giving up and going home.

There's jarring and appointment-to-listen. OSAH should be an appointment-to-listen programme, like Kisstory on Kiss. I guess the overly-slick style of it is what jars?

Clyde 2/Forth 2 (and indeed, the English heritage AM stations) have always had a fair amount of chat as well as music. There format isn't 'More Music Less Talk', unlike the London Magic station.
  • radio tunerradio tuner Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Tuned into Clyde 1 for the news at 2pm the other day. Found no news but a blatantly networked show from Key 103 instead. Sighed, switched to Spotify and haven't been back.

is the news any good on spotify ?
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"All the Scots are moaning" because it is NOT Magic and that is the point. Until 2-3 years ago these stations were pretty much local all the time. Presentation that was more like the old style stuff and the listeners loved it. Then networking started but the presenters that took the locals place were still old school in thier presentation.

Now, these guys are getting punted and if you are suggesting the new sound will be like Magic then that is a completely different style to what we have been used to so effectively it is a new station. Scottish radio has been so different to that south of the border and now our heritage AM stations are being scrapped to make way for content from England to go with the continuing spread of English based shows on the FM stations.

That's why all us Scots are moaning.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    "All the Scots are moaning" because it is NOT Magic and that is the point. Until 2-3 years ago these stations were pretty much local all the time. Presentation that was more like the old style stuff and the listeners loved it. Then networking started but the presenters that took the locals place were still old school in thier presentation.

Now, these guys are getting punted and if you are suggesting the new sound will be like Magic then that is a completely different style to what we have been used to so effectively it is a new station. Scottish radio has been so different to that south of the border and now our heritage AM stations are being scrapped to make way for content from England to go with the continuing spread of English based shows on the FM stations.

That's why all us Scots are moaning.
    But the greatest hits oldies AM format was losing listeners, not getting good adverting rates and the AM transmitters getting expensive to run. In Surrey we have now lost the format on 1521 and now 1566, and Global have changed many Gold stations to easy listening Smooth. Bauer seem to be doing something to ensure the greatest hits format music stays on the Place 2 stations.