Options

Storyville: Your Father's Murderer - A Letter To Zachary

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
Forum Member
There are a few Storyville's I've seen that have been fairly memorable, but never have I been left totally speechless by the dumbfounding affect of such a powerful and unbelievable film.

I'm actually too exhausted to post anything resembling sense as it's an extremely tough emotional ride, but I urge anyone to watch this docu/tribute/murder mystery/whatever you want to call it film as it's easily one of the most astounding things I've ever seen in my life.

Amazing that people will watch the shit on ITV tonight whilst something like this goes almost unnoticed. Anyone see it?

Comments

• Options
    Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few Storyville's I've seen that have been fairly memorable, but never have I been left totally speechless by the dumbfounding affect of such a powerful and unbelievable film.

I'm actually too exhausted to post anything resembling sense as it's an extremely tough emotional ride, but I urge anyone to watch this docu/tribute/murder mystery/whatever you want to call it film as it's easily one of the most astounding things I've ever seen in my life.

Amazing that people will watch the shit on ITV tonight whilst something like this goes almost unnoticed. Anyone see it?

From the EPG on my Humax, I thought it was a foriegn fiction film, just seen its a "Storyville" which are normally excellant... will try iplayer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    i watched it, Radio Times website had it highlighted.

i'm not over it yet, i know i won't forget it, i might have to stick to films, so i can remind myself they are just actors.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just finished watching this, i knew it would be upsetting but did not realise how harrowing it would be. I have never cried so much or been so horrfied. Terribly upsetting but definitely worth watching.
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen about 40 minutes so far and I am dumbstruck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I have ever been as moved and affected by something I've seen on television as I was by that. I felt totally shattered at the end - angry at the incompetence of the authorities but awe struck by the patience and dignity of the parents who always believed the right result would come eventually because they had faith in the system and being proved wrong in such a tragic way.

Phew, I'm filling up now just thinking about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I was too shocked to cry. It was just unimaginable and if I didn't know it was a true story I would have assumed it was a storyline to a movie.
  • Options
    BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Can someone give a brief outline of this as a spoiler.

I read about it, and was warned by the reviewer that it was upsetting ( so decided not to watch) but I am curious about it.

And Storyville is always excellent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/feb/23/married-single-other-storyville

This is a review from today's Guardian which gives a synopsis - and the ending just in case someone hasn't seen it yet and doesn't want to know how it turned out.
  • Options
    didiedidie Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    I watched it and it was just heartbreaking. I knew what had happened at the end before I started watching it and it was still a horrific shock.

I've ordered the book as it gives more detail about the background and what went horribly wrong with the Canadian justice system.

Storyville is a consistently good informative series.
  • Options
    enfant_terribleenfant_terrible Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    I was like a wrung out cloth emotionally last night. I can't remember a time when a documentary has made me so distressed and angry.

Apart from the fact that this was a technically brilliant piece of documentary film making, it was also a love story and tribute.

I have nothing but admiration and respect for the Bagby family and friends.
  • Options
    BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    vidalia wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/feb/23/married-single-other-storyville

This is a review from today's Guardian which gives a synopsis - and the ending just in case someone hasn't seen it yet and doesn't want to know how it turned out.

Thanks for that.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not, by any stretch of the imagination, an easy thing to watch. I've recommended it to my wife, but I'm not sure she'll make it all the way through.

K
  • Options
    willow32willow32 Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this and cried. Very powerful and moving and so very, very sad.

I thought Andrews parents/Zacharys grandparents were remarkable people.
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh thank God it wasn't just me. I couldn't post last night.
    I watched this last night by accident, after channel hopping. I was crying after only a short time watching - I didn't move, just sat staring at the television.
    But when the worst happened. God.
    I couldn't get it out of my head all day, it's left me feeling so completely sad for the parents. How have they managed to keep going, that is a strength I just don't think I'd have.
    Horrific watching, but an absolutely amazing film.
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A completely heartless and wicked 'woman' with a voice that drove me crazy. Such a cruel thing to do to such a lovely looking boy. Why do parents use their children, once created out of such love, as weapons and destroy lives because of their selfishness?? I watched this totally upset and heartbroken for the poor Grandparents who did everything in their power to regain custody of their Grandson. A brilliant documentary. The Grandparents showed incredible restraint and dignity throughout this terrible tragedy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still thinking about this programme, two days later.

The mother obviously was a very disturbed woman who should never, ever have been allowed to be free to do what she did but I can't help wondering how she turned out like that. I can totally understand why the film maker didn't choose to take that road, but I'd like to know more of her background and what turned her into a killer.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    I am still thinking about this programme, two days later...
    Me too! I just can't get the story out of my mind. I'm still both :(:cry: and :mad: about it.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, it's on iPlayer for another month and is repeated late (23:45) on sunday night on BBC4.

K
  • Options
    NestNest Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just watched this as a result of this thread, so thank you OP. I have been sobbing out loud. What a powerful film and what absolute needless tragedy. The strength of Kate and David Bagby has humbled me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I joined the forum just to post on this thread, because I felt I needed to talk to people about it. It really was one of the most shocking, powerful things I have seen for a long time. I felt so angry after watching it. I hope that the judge who let her out had many, many sleepless nights over her actions, as well as the authorities who saw fit to give a suspected murderer custody of her victims child. The mother was obviously mentally ill for whatever reason, but for the authorities not to have done anything is an absolute disgrace. I have nothing but admiration for the grandparents. I was in a blind rage just watching that, thinking of what I would do if someone did that to my son.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I recorded this and watched it today and, like others, just sobbed whilst watching it.

The film maker Kurt produced such a powerful and moving tribute to his friend Andrew (who seemed a great guy and so many people seemed to love), gorgeous little Zachary (who was the image of his Dad), and the wonderful grandparents, who tried everything in their power to protect their grandson.

I hope those in authority who made such tragically stupid decisions are ashamed of themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Braintree wrote: »
    I think I was too shocked to cry. It was just unimaginable and if I didn't know it was a true story I would have assumed it was a storyline to a movie.

Same here, even though I knew what happened to Zachary it was still truly shocking.

A fine piece of work that I can't recommend to enough people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you so mich for letting me know when its on again, I watched the 1st 5 mins and then my youngest twin son (1) deleted it. I don't know how but I was hopping mad.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched in, stumbles across it by accident flicking though the channels. What an amazing film, very moving. I cried so much at the end when they were all talking about how much Andrew's parents meant to them. So pleased that they are getting the law changed, it feels as though more of the professionals involve should be taken to account.
  • Options
    didiedidie Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    I met a friend for lunch today and we were talking about the film and I just found myself crying in the middle of this restaurant as I was telling her what had happened. It is a film that really does stay with you.