Options

William to spend Christmas with Kate's family

lovetochatlovetochat Posts: 737
Forum Member
✭✭
Taken from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20824017

Does anyone have any views on this?

As the second in line to the throne do you think it is appropriate that he spends the day there?

My main worry with Kate is that she (and her family) is changing so much about the way things have been done for years and in doing so, giving her family a ridiculously greater input into the future of the British Monarch than they should have.

All the other women who have "married in" have kept their families at a discrete distance even if they were from aristocratic families like Diana.

Kate really seems to be wearing the trousers in their relationship. The Middletons are present at major Royal events in carriages (like Royal Windsor), hosting them for holidays and even replacing royal nannies for the future children of this couple.

I remember the Christmas before William and Kate married, Kate spent Christmas with the Middletoms as she said it would be her last with her family before she became "Royal". Fair enough.

The excuse now is her pregnancy and the fact she needs "rest" despite making it to several parties and SPOTY. Is her life so taxing she needs more rest than she already has?

What's going to be the excuse next year? The baby needs her Granny Carol?

Comments

• Options
    RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for them
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Im afraid I find it impossible to care who they spend Christmas with
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Kate wants, Kate gets......
  • Options
    RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets all hate Kate today
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lots of people do alternate Christmases between both families. If he wasn't royal and saying she couldn't spend Christmas with her family he'd be called a controlling wife abuser trying to keep her under the thumb.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lovetochat wrote: »

As the second in line to the throne do you think it is appropriate that he spends the day there?

My main worry with Kate is that she (and her family) is changing so much about the way things have been done for years and in doing so, giving her family a ridiculously greater input into the future of the British Monarch than they should have.

All the other women who have "married in" have kept their families at a discrete distance even if they were from aristocratic families like Diana.

Kate really seems to be wearing the trousers in their relationship. The Middletons are present at major Royal events in carriages (like Royal Windsor), hosting them for holidays and even replacing royal nannies for the future children of this couple.

I remember the Christmas before William and Kate married, Kate spent Christmas with the Middletoms as she said it would be her last with her family before she became "Royal". Fair enough.

The excuse now is her pregnancy and the fact she needs "rest" despite making it to several parties and SPOTY. Is her life so taxing she needs more rest than she already has?

Only on the fact that this is regarded as news. Do people need to know (or care) what David Cameron's children are doing for Christmas?
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing is that this year the multitude of people who make their annual pilgrimage to Sandringham to see the Royal Family go to church on Christmas morning no doubt hoping to eagerly present the couple with all sorts of gifts for the baby they do not want or need will be bitterly disappointed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I will be able to sleep well tonight knowing who William will be spending Christmas with.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Man goes to in-laws for Christmas.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucky William - escaping from having to hear Uncle Andrew drone on about his golf handicap and how he gets the public to pay for his helicopter to go from course to course.............
  • Options
    SupersarahpSupersarahp Posts: 4,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it is anyone's business where they spend Christmas day and if you are worrying about it I respectfully suggest that you shouldn't let it bother you.

I, for one, couldn't care less what they do - doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me. Providing they don't expect me to pay for it they can spend Christmas at the North Pole for all I care - in fact that is a bloody good idea - let them stay there all year too!
  • Options
    JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from a dull story and thread, I'll keep my views to myself.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Kate wants, Kate gets......
    Including acting above her station as just the producer of the heir & spare. How dare she!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The level of interest in our Royals, not to mention the fact that we have any in the first place, is embarrassing.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as they don't want to come to my house for Christmas, I don't give a hoot where they go.

Surely, which in laws to spend Christmas with is a matter for the couple in question, whether they be William and Kate or you and your spouse?

Still, at least it means that the silly sods who spend their lives trying to take unauthorised photos of the Royal family going about their business will have a dilemma on their hands.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe William would rather spend Christmas with Kate's family, can't say I'd blame him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well im glad thats been clarified, at least i know they wont be turning up at mine on christmas morning demanding turkey :D
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's great news. Shows the modernising of the royal family and that they are taking her feelings into account like they never have before with those that have married in.

Kate is very close to her family and William gets on very well with them. Lots of young couples take it in turns to spend Christmas with his and then her family. .
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    zombie wrote: »
    well im glad thats been clarified, at least i know they wont be turning up at mine on christmas morning demanding turkey :D

they are coming to yours for Boxing Day Turkey Curry Buffet
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    It's a break from tradition, but I think that's a good thing. I suppose in some ways they are like any other young couple trying to please the in-laws :)
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My main worry with Kate is that she (and her family) is changing so much about the way things have been done for years.....

The only reason traditions exist is because somebody one day said "I know - lets do this.....".

Why people hold "tradition" up as some unchangeable/immovable standard i'll never know. There is absolutely no reason that new traditions cant be forged and old ones dropped. IMO this sounds like a good one........move with the times.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they having turkey?
  • Options
    Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds a perfectly reasonable idea to me. Hardly newsworthy, though.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to let everyone know - i'm also spending Christmas with my wife's family.

Can somebody do me a favour and let the BBC know. I'm on my way out and dont have time to call them up to inform them.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Maybe William would rather spend Christmas with Kate's family, can't say I'd blame him.

Especially squashed in the wardrobe with Pippa when they all play Sardines.