Has Janette been a let down to Jake?

Don't get me wrong I think Janette is an incredibly talented dancer and absolutely beautiful. But there is something about her teaching and choreography that I feel showcases solely herself or is in a way too out there and focused on tricks as opposed to dancing? I believe if Jake had stronger routines, focused more on the technique of steps and had more well known basics incorporated to his performances he would be a lot lot better at this stage in the competition, especially being an actor and with his natural ability. For example, his samba. Yes the hips were good but hello, a samba? I also think the past while Jake has been aware of this, even though they seem to get on quite well. I dunno, I just feel a little sorry for him. He doesn't excite me anymore.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I think part of that is her trying to hide any of his weaknesses though. It is possible maybe she didn't push his enough technique wise, but maybe he wasn't up for it?
  • Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she has done well to get him this far tbh.......I dont think he has much ability as a dancer though as its his performance that gets him through rather than dance ability.

He always looks out of his depth and disinterested and I never even thought his salsa was that good though it was early in the contest and so much can be forgiven early on.

He does not appear to have improved at all, either he just can't be arsed or is ambivilant about it all due to his massive support and thinks that will carry him through without having to make the effort.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong I think Janette is an incredibly talented dancer and absolutely beautiful. But there is something about her teaching and choreography that I feel showcases solely herself or is in a way too out there and focused on tricks as opposed to dancing? I believe if Jake had stronger routines, focused more on the technique of steps and had more well known basics incorporated to his performances he would be a lot lot better at this stage in the competition, especially being an actor and with his natural ability. For example, his samba. Yes the hips were good but hello, a samba? I also think the past while Jake has been aware of this, even though they seem to get on quite well. I dunno, I just feel a little sorry for him. He doesn't excite me anymore.

You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
  • foxyredfoxyred Posts: 15,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Janette has done as much as she can to be honest. Jake is good at shaking his hips and acting but that's it really, that can only take you so far!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    That is possible, but I just feel like dances such as his American smooth could have been a lot better , instead of just highlighting herself in the air... And the first 15/20 seconds of the cha cha tonight just reinforced it more to me. Everyone entitled to their own opinion though!!
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    I'm in two minds to be honest. I don't think there is any chance of teaching what you don't know, and Janette, to my eyes, is a poor ballroom dancer (in pro terms). That said, she has put together very eye catching routines for Jake which have played to his performance strengths and they seem to have a good partnership together, so on the whole, I think she has done well by him (and he by her). I've enjoyed them together, and some of their dances are the ones I have wanted to watch more than once, which is all you can ask really.
  • perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    Janette's not great at teaching technique (to say the least), so deficiencies in routines are being covered up by his performance and her tricks. Had he not been able to perform appealingly, they would have been gone long ago.
  • CamisCamis Posts: 13,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that Janette is that good at the 10 dances herself. The critically acclaimed salsa was just a re-hash of her SYTYCD audition, so nothing new. She admitted that she taught the routine, rather than the technique. Jake has not been taught how to dance, merely how to sell a routine.
  • tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janette's not great at teaching technique (to say the least), so deficiencies in routines are being covered up by his performance and her tricks. Had he not been able to perform appealingly, they would have been gone long ago.

^ this! over-reliance on gurning when he has it in him to do subtle.
  • bloggingbellebloggingbelle Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Janette is ok but needs to be matched with a shorter man - the height difference means Jake's frame will never look as elegant as it could.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YES. Its clear to see how incompetent she is as a teacher.....She is a VERY good dancer but was terribly miscast for this show imo.

I dont want her to come back next year but unfortunately that is unlikely :(

I wished Jake had another pro; He would have improved significantly .
  • FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've been very lucky at Jake's ability to perform as well as he does. Her routines while masking have been lacking some basic content. She said it herself she hasn't been focusing on technique but instead, learning him a routine.

The salsa was great, but as said, it was her a carbon copy of SYTYCD audition piece. It wowed then and it wowed on Strictly so kudos there.

She'll continue to be on this show for a while due to being a fave of Jason Gilkison. But as it stands, she's quite possibly the most under-qualified ten dancers Strictly has ever had. I say this as someone who has followed her career since her stint on SYTYCD and really like her as a person, but I've been disappointed.
  • perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    ^ this! over-reliance on gurning when he has it in him to do subtle.

Tonight showed this - the VW was beautifully played, the cha cha riddled with the OTT gurning left over from his Charleston.
  • *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    She's a salsa dancer and has no business being on a show about ballroom dancing. She's been lucky to get an EE actor, who happens to be popular.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I know it could never have happened but had jake been partnered with the likes of erin, flavia, karen hardy or katya I think he could of been ASTOUNDING. Really makes you miss the original pros that were somehow probably taken for granted. I feel as if jake himself even looked unhappy with Janette at times but then again maybe it was just me.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Liya* wrote: »
    She's a salsa dancer and has no business being on a show about ballroom dancing. She's been lucky to get an EE actor, who happens to be popular.

But it's not just all about ballroom, I think Janette has done well, a lot of EE fans don't like Jake's character.
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    YES. Its clear to see how incompetent she is as a teacher.....She is a VERY good dancer but was terribly miscast for this show imo.

I dont want her to come back next year but unfortunately that is unlikely :(

I wished Jake had another pro; He would have improved significantly .

BIB. Well, maybe. Or perhaps he would have been just as awful technically but exposed much sooner with dull routines. I suspect Janette has neglected technique over performance, but it's possible that's been the best approach for Jake. Or not.
  • bigbro24bigbro24 Posts: 11,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jake would be a better overall dancer if he was paired with Natalie Lowe but Jake seemed excited at the thought of getting someone who he could throw about in lifts. I think Jake has been happy with Janette's more showy style because he is more of a performer.
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've been very lucky at Jake's ability to perform as well as he does. Her routines while masking have been lacking some basic content. She said it herself she hasn't been focusing on technique but instead, learning him a routine.

The salsa was great, but as said, it was her a carbon copy of SYTYCD audition piece. It wowed then and it wowed on Strictly so kudos there.

She'll continue to be on this show for a while due to being a fave of Jason Gilkison. But as it stands, she's quite possibly the most under-qualified ten dancers Strictly has ever had. I say this as someone who has followed her career since her stint on SYTYCD and really like her as a person, but I've been disappointed.

Her ONLY specialty is salsa. She is NOT even a 10-dance dancer.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong :confused:
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is an impossible question to answer.

MAYBE if Janette was better at ballroom herself, and really concentrated on teaching Jake decent technique (as Kristina clearly has with Simon) instead of letting him rely on his acting skills, he may be able to dance the ballroom and Latin dances a lot better than he does?

On the otherhand, MAYBE he is actually incapable of learning the technique side of the dances, and she is just very clever at covering up this drawback by letting him act his way round the floor?
  • luigy39luigy39 Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jake would have been out in week 5 or 6 without Janette's Salsa and the way she choreographed around his weaknesses, but since this is a thread created to criticize and put down Janette any common sense is out of the question.

There's blood in the water and the usual suspects are having a feast.

Men in the water
    Blood in the water
    Sharks in the water.
  • GlinnyGlinny Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why start this thread now? Do you know something the rest of us don't or do not want to know. How can she have let him down he is in the semi-final. What's wrong with that I would have thought that is a great achievement.
  • luigy39luigy39 Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edy10 wrote: »
    Her ONLY specialty is salsa. She is NOT even a 10-dance dancer.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong :confused:

This has been clarified several times to you, it is your memory that fails you or maybe an opportunity to bring it yet again to the front.

The fact is that Aljaz and Janette choreographed all of their routines together, just like Karen and Kevin and just like Ola and James before them. The choreography is always a collaboration of the two.
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    BIB. Well, maybe. Or perhaps he would have been just as awful technically but exposed much sooner with dull routines. I suspect Janette has neglected technique over performance, but it's possible that's been the best approach for Jake. Or not.

This is about right.

We may suspect but we'll never know.

I don't think Janette is qualified to teach the dances on the show but that's not her fault. She was offered a big gig and what's she going to do?

Personally, I think Jake can move and may well have been able to gain better technique with someone more qualified to teach it but it's impossible to prove. Janette's routines and Jakes performances have got him a lot of wow moments and a lot of fans during the series so far. He and Janette are one pair who wouldn't struggle to find crowd pleasers in the final.
  • *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    curvybabes wrote: »
    But it's not just all about ballroom, I think Janette has done well, a lot of EE fans don't like Jake's character.

Janette's speciality (salsa) is not classified as a latin dance in competitive ballroom. There are different competitions for salsa dancers....most of them have no clue about ballroom/ballroom latin dances...let alone how to teach them.

I thought i read on here that Anya Garnis was helping Janette out with her choreography?