IMAX arrives in the North East!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
Forum Member
The new Odeon opened at the Metro Centre in Gateshead today........... and it's got an IMAX screen!! Either they've kept this quiet or its slipped through my net!

Just in time for Avatar, tickets already booked for the weekend!

Comments

• UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Oo very nice!! That's the new one in the new yellow section. The shopping centre isn't far from me either.

I'll be seeing Avatar a few days after Christmas though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say it's IMAX, that means different things to different people. An old fashioned IMAX is a huge screen with a fairly square aspect ratio. With the exception of the old Manchester screen, Odeon use IMAX Digital, which is something different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Further to UV's response:

http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/imax/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I posted a link to the following image in another thread, it's something I found on another site discussing IMAX Digital, they used the Odeon IMAX Digital in Greenwich as an example. It's a comparison of screen sizes:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2502/sydneyimax.jpg

Basically IMAX Digital is bigger than a normal screen, but not anywhere near as big as the old ones. It's more a system that allows for better quality sound, 3D and the audience is placed a bit closer to a specially coated screen. Should be more fun than a normal screen.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    2k projectors!!! People go to imax cinemas thinking they are going to see 70mm film run sideways through the projector to give much higher resolution than normal 35mm film. Some ordinary cinemas are using 4k projectors now - how can digital imax possibly claim to be better when they're only using 2k projectors and a barely bigger than normal screen???
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's completely bogus, and just a pathetic market ploy....

Imax Digital is good, but not as good as proper IMAX...

Typical of a media company to turn a familiar term, with set parameters, into a flexible, marketing buzzword.

Just like THX, it's now a watered-down pile of poo.