Fleur and Jake are both 26! but one is an 'over' and the other isn't?

Red22Red22 Posts: 2,377
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can someone pls explain why that is :confused: I haven't watched the whole series so I'm sorry if its already been mentioned

Comments

• Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's called a fix.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I think Jake was 25 when he auditioned and Fleur was 26. They're referring to it this year as the 'over 25s' rather than '25 and over'.
  • tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only rule is that Cowell makes it up as it goes along
  • R598R598 Posts: 1,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, he was 25 when he auditioned. He only recently turned 26 I think.
  • Red22Red22 Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BCO1 wrote: »
    I think Jake was 25 when he auditioned and Fleur was 26. They're referring to it this year as the 'over 25s' rather than '25 and over'.
    R598 wrote: »
    yeah, he was 25 when he auditioned. He only recently turned 26 I think.

Ah right.. Fair enough I guess
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Red22 wrote: »
    Can someone pls explain why that is :confused: I haven't watched the whole series so I'm sorry if its already been mentioned

Cowell makes all such decisions.:p
  • emma555emma555 Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    tony321 wrote: »
    The only rule is that Cowell makes it up as it goes along

Lol, true.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Red22 wrote: »

Yes I've wondered this also saw their ages when it was in the paper last week
  • MilkitaMilkita Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jake explained on Twitter that when he auditioned, he was 25 so he's in Boys category, overs 25 are people who are 26 and over 26.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Common sense has to play a part as well. Jake looks about 23 and it would be silly having someone like that in an "overs" category. If anything, that category should be 30 and over.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble with the Overs category is the ages go up and down like a yo-yo depending on who is auditioning that year.

One year it's 25 and over, then it's Over 25s, then it's Over 28s. They tend to move the goalposts if they want a chosen contestant to be in the Boys/Girls category rather than the Overs as they see the Boys/Girls category as more favourable and more viewers will vote for a boy/girl than an over.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olly Murs was 25 when he auditioned for X Factor and he was in the Over 25s category.
    There was also that Kisela who was shown on screen to be 25 but was in the Over 25s at this year's bootcamp.

They've just done it so they can fit all the acts they wanted in the live shows in. All the strong younger boys they had they deliberately axed before bootcamp so they could put them in the boyband.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Milkita wrote: »
    Jake explained on Twitter that when he auditioned, he was 25 so he's in Boys category, overs 25 are people who are 26 and over 26.

Kisela who made bootcamp was 25 when she auditioned and at the time of bootcamp and yet she was an over.

It's just about Cowell moving the goalposts to suit anf hoping no one notices.
  • GetridofcoleGetridofcole Posts: 1,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it's just the show squeezing in the acts they want in
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because calling him a 'Boy' generates more votes. Little girls who fancy him will think they are in with a shot and the mums voting will think they are naughty MILFs for voting him.

Ben on the other hand is Over 25's heartthrob, who the mums who 'like real men' will be voting for.
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the more reason why they should change it to 'Over 30s' and keep it.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should be Over 30s IMO. Over 25 is so young for an "over". Jake being in the overs would look a little out of place one would originally think, but Jay looks like the same age as him, so they probably did it to avoid confusion. But even against that, Jake being in the Boys category, he looks a little too old (slightly) so he doesn't really slot in anywhere. Because when I think of "boys" I think of people like Nicholas, Eohgan, people from the ages of 16-20, but when I think of overs I think of Sam Bailey, Wagner, Andy, Christopher. So yep, between the 25-28 age is hard to place in either.
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    All the more reason why they should change it to 'Over 30s' and keep it.

Apparently the current thinking is that Justin Beiber is already starting on the downslide, age-wise (your career starts at 15, peaks at 20, and ends at 25).

Meh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    It should be Over 30s IMO. Over 25 is so young for an "over". Jake being in the overs would look a little out of place one would originally think, but Jay looks like the same age as him, so they probably did it to avoid confusion. But even against that, Jake being in the Boys category, he looks a little too old (slightly) so he doesn't really slot in anywhere. Because when I think of "boys" I think of people like Nicholas, Eohgan, people from the ages of 16-20, but when I think of overs I think of Sam Bailey, Wagner, Andy, Christopher. So yep, between the 25-28 age is hard to place in either.

They could get round it and separate them by age and not gender, as they did on the USA version. 14-19, 20-29, 30+. That leaves them plenty of scope to get the 'right' people in the top 12/16.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    the mums voting will think they are naughty MILFs for voting him.

Ha ha, true!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they think Jake is still a bit childish. He could have been part of the boy band choir. Now that would have been funny to see! :D
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say that this is one of the first years where they have Overs who are not just power ballads and ballgowns types.
    Lets just forget Stevi but Fleur, Jay and Ben are all at the younger end of the category and can all be current and relevant if, and it's a big if, they're given the right songs and styling.

The problem with the overs in the past is they've treated them like cruise ship singers and a 28 year old will be done up like they're 60.

Look at the guest on Sunday, Parrell. He's 40 and still current, credible, relevant and not a power ballad in sight
  • LMAOLMAO Posts: 3,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it makes sense to be flexible about that age limit, it gives the chance for some acts to get to live shows that may not if they were in the other category.

For example Simon has Jay & Ben, so Jake probably wouldn`t have made it through if he was in that category, whereas there was room for more talent in the boys category.
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol when was the year they dropped 28 to 25 to fit Matt Cardle in?
  • OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jake looks too old to be in the boys category.