Films you hated or didn't like the first time that you liked after watching again.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
Forum Member
Yesterday I watched Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland which I saw at the cinema when it was released. When I watched it I saw the 3D version and wasn't blown away by the film.
However, yesterday I enjoyed the film a lot more and thought it worked better than I remembered.

I would like to say that it was because the film wasn't in 3D of which I'm not a fan, but I don't think it was that. Maybe it's because I'm now watching it without the initial anticipation I had and all the hype at the time. I'm not sure. Whatever the reason it seemed a much better film than when i first saw it

Have there been any films that you've watched that you have changed your opinion and liked it when initially you thought it was a bad or poor film?

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I absolutely hated Lord of the Rings: fellowship of the ring when I saw it at the cinema.
    I remember my wife and I having an argument about her wanting to buy the DVD. She bought it and I ended up watching it again under protest and now it's one of my all time most favourite films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I absolutely hated Lord of the Rings: fellowship of the ring when I saw it at the cinema.
    I remember my wife and I having an argument about her wanting to buy the DVD. She bought it and I ended up watching it again under protest and now it's one of my all time most favourite films.

That one is still an no-no for me. I've tried it a few times and it still bores me and I switch off. lol
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Reservoir Dogs, because I wasn't used to QTs style of directing some films 'back to front'.

Now I like it, along with the Kill Bill volumes, which are filmed in the same style.
    That one is still an no-no for me. I've tried it a few times and it still bores me and I switch off. lol

Same for 2001: A Space Odyssey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first time I saw Clerks 2 I found it to be very long and drawn-out even though it's only 93 minutes, however I recently watched the first hour (actually 54 minutes) again and I loved it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superbad. I didn't hate it the first time but I just didn't see the fuss about it, but after watching it again it really, really had me in stitches.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oliver! Saw it when it was first released and didn't get it at all. A perfect example of how a U certificate film can be unsuitable for young audiences.
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time I saw Gangs of New York I didn't enjoy it one little bit, probably something to do with being very drunk at the time with a few mates, and we'd already watched 8 Mile that evening. It seemed far too long and drawn out to me, even though we did have a break to order kebabs.

Subsequent (sober) viewings have been far more enjoyable though.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't stand "Independence Day" when I first saw it. It just didn't work for me, but when I watched it on the small screen I actually found myself quite liking it.

Same goes with 'Star Wars: Phantom Menace' as well ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like my romcoms, so when I heard about When Harry Met Sally I was super excited as it is supposed one of the best romcoms out there, but I absolutely hated it when I first watched it and was so disappointed.But having watched the Bollywood remake, I watched When Harry Met Sally again and I totally got it and now I absolutely love the film.

I had a similar experience with Sleepless in Seattle; I adore You've Got Mail, but the first time I watched Sleepless in Seattle I absolutely hated it
    as the leads only met each other once, yet fell in love with each other so quickly when they met each other at the end of the film. They hadn't even had a proper conversation!

But after watching it again, years after I first watched it, I kind of get it now and see the romance of it. I don't love it though.
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeepers Creepers :o
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matrix Reloaded & Revolutions.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't stand "Independence Day" when I first saw it. It just didn't work for me, but when I watched it on the small screen I actually found myself quite liking it.

That's the exact film I was about to post. I watched it in the cinema and I think the reason I hated it was down to me, as I probably expected something totally different, like some dark menacing sci-fi whereas ID is very toungue-in-cheek. I almost walked out I was so disappointed in it. However I watched it about 5 years later on my wife's insistence and I loved it! Crazy :D
    Same goes with 'Star Wars: Phantom Menace' as well ..

I still hate that piece of shit. :p
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Oliver! Saw it when it was first released and didn't get it at all. A perfect example of how a U certificate film can be unsuitable for young audiences.

Just enjoy the singing and dancing mun!!!! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Trainspotting, I mean, so much swearing and vulgarity throughout the movie, but when i watched the movie again I got the whole point of the movie. It was actually fun to watch.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Pulp Fiction

I didn't really know what to expect, I'd heard little about it except that it was amazing and I "must see it". I probably thought it was going to be some kind of action packed Goodfellas-esque film.

Therefore the first time I saw it was like "wtf", and I then rewatched it without the weight of expectation and it was fantastic. Watched it loads of times since then and it's definitely in my top 5 favourite films of all time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aliens

I hated that it was a shoot-em-up in space rather than a haunted house in space. Didn't like at all how easy they were to kill, and the "molecular acid " for blood didn't do much damage - still a bit confused as to how many there were - as it should be 1 per settler tops

I love it now, and no matter how good Alien was, not much happens
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    bugloss wrote: »
    Aliens

I hated that it was a shoot-em-up in space rather than a haunted house in space. Didn't like at all how easy they were to kill, and the "molecular acid " for blood didn't do much damage - still a bit confused as to how many there were - as it should be 1 per settler tops

Suspense, that's what happens. I still feel that Aliens is a relatively bad remake after all these years. It's basically, as you say, a shoot-em-up in space with the typical Cameron trick of quantity over quality. However, it's on later this week on TV, so I'll be giving it another watch, but I doubt it'll grip me like the superior original. Still, maybe I'll be proved wrong and will be coming back to this thread to add Aliens to the list.

Saturday Night Fever was a film I didn't really care for the first time I watched it decades ago, but I got to appreciate it after some rewatching.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Bear in mind that both films have a directors cut.

For Alien, the theatrical cut is better than the directors cut, which unusually is shorter than the theatrical version.

For Aliens, the directors cut is better.

For the best experience on DVD, get the R1 version of the Alien Quadrilogy box set, rather than the R2 (UK) version.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=4361
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't rate Alice in Wonderland much the first time either, but loved it after a second viewing - very pleased I gave it another chance. I think it's a "grower" sort of movie.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »

That was the point !
    The ANTICIPATION of occurrence !
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like "Seven" the first time i saw it.Then 1 night BBC1 were showing it & i thought i'd give it another try & i enjoyed it.
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like 'Alien' when I first watched it but loved it second time.

..with 'Pitch Black' it took me 3 goes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the point !
    The ANTICIPATION of occurrence !

i loved Alien. I thought it was a perfect film. Everything about it was wonderful, but it was a small film
  • dirrrtydirrrty Posts: 8,442
    Forum Member
    Transformers
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have quite a few. Quite often I grow to love a film and can't work out why it didn't notice how good it was the first time round.
    I'm the same with music.

Here's a few where they grew to be some of my favourite movies.

Far and Away
    Contact
    Mars Attacks
    Starship Troopers (I just didn't get how tongue in cheek this was the first time around)
    Jerry Maguire
    The Incredibles
    The Mummy
    Pirates of the Carribean - Curse of the Black Pearl.