Horse meat in burgers

Comments

• KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reports are coming in that Tesco's Everyday Value Fish Fingers have also been affected. DNA tests show conclusively that they're 29% seahorse meat. ;)
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Brazilian woman shared some food with me that she got down the Brazilian restaurant and she said it was horse meat after I had eaten it. It did taste superb, but had she told me that it was horse meat beforehand, I may have chosen not to eat it. I am not sure if she was having me on though, or perhaps was getting confused with the language barrier.

You see, I don't care if Tesco serves me horses in my burger but only if they keep the info to themselves. Now that I know the truth , it's a bit off-putting. I just don't love the idea of eating horse. Not for any moral reason, just...because.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    One Brazilian woman shared some food with me that she got down the Brazilian restaurant and she said it was horse meat after I had eaten it. It did taste superb, but had she told me that it was horse meat beforehand, I may have chosen not to eat it. I am not sure if she was having me on though, or perhaps was getting confused with the language barrier.

You see, I don't care if Tesco serves me horses in my burger but only if they keep the info to themselves. Now that I know the truth , it's a bit off-putting. I just don't love the idea of eating horse. Not for any moral reason, just...because.

I think that's the issue. What else aren't they telling us?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member

So you are happy for Tesco to serve you anything they like as long as they don't tell you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    I think that's the issue. What else aren't they telling us?

Lack of quality control is scarier. What else don't they even know?
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the public or the press want to excited about the labeling I can't argue with that - It is very important.
    But as a way forward - I can't help but notice that some own brand (and even famous brands) fish fingers are called 100% fish or 100% white fish.
    For those who can eat Pork, and are not disgusted by the concept of eating horse, I would have thought that a Tesco Value burger which actually tastes not too bad, and has a stated meat content would be a slightly more attractive proposition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you are happy for Tesco to serve you anything they like as long as they don't tell you?
    I guess so, as I wouldn't know. As long as it's not unhealthy.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horse instead of beef.

Quite a Whopper of a lie.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

Other way round for me. If it's meat that's been through the proper processes so it is safe for human consumption then it should be fine to eat, but it should be stated on the ingredients.

I'm not religious but if you were and had issues with certain meats then it's not good to find out you've been eating pork for example.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    The presence of horse meat in the burgers sold by Tesco and other supermakets does not pose any health issues. The presence of pig meat would undoubtedly upset those whose religions forbid its consumption.

However, it is concerning that the contamination was not detected by the supermarkets themselves during routine testing.

Presumably they specify standards for all meat products, so how many others have been supplied to them containing other meats?

Perhaps in the rush to make even higher profits, routine testing has been abandoned or reduced.

The burgers in question cost £1 for 8. That is 12p each! I don't think anyone prepared to eat that standard of food can expect rigorous testing procedures to be carried out during the manufacturing process.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    The burgers in question cost £1 for 8. That is 12p each! I don't think anyone prepared to eat that standard of food can expect rigorous testing procedures to be carried out during the manufacturing process.

They absolutely can expect just that. Our food whether cheap or expensive has to come up to certain standards and should be labelled properly telling us what is in it. The law extends down to even the poorest people on this one.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course they are unhealthy! They are cheap processed burgers! :eek:

Of course the quality should be assured! You think they can sell you anything you like and put any old crap in it just because its cheap? No cheap food is above the law and food standards and hygiene.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course they are unhealthy! They are cheap processed burgers! :eek:

Of course the quality should be assured! You think they can sell you anything you like and put any old crap in it just because its cheap? No cheap food is above the law and food standards and hygiene.

You have contradicted yourself here.

They do put any old crap in cheap food. The recent news proves that. It is not a contravention of food hygiene but it is a case of making the food as cheaply as possible. There can't possibly be any profit in a 12p burger once you've taken away the packaging and distribution costs away. They've got to scrimp somewhere and the testing and quality procedures are bottom of the list.
    Forum Member

Who decides if it's unhealthy? Don't you want to know what you're eating?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who decides if it's unhealthy? Don't you want to know what you're eating?
    Stuff that's been dropped on the floor, dirty, or gone off or diseased can be unhealthy for me. I can eat everything else. For me, horse isn't unhealthy, provided it meets the rules I've just described. It just makes me feel a bit...Ewww. You eat what you want, and I'll eat what I want. Ok?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having read the crap that is in some burgers horse meat is possibly the healthiest thing in them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course they are unhealthy! They are cheap processed burgers! :eek:.
    I'm not unhealthy and I eat processed stuff on a regular basis, just not for every meal. Eating cheap, processed food hasn't harmed me.
    Forum Member
    Stuff that's been dropped on the floor, dirty, or gone off or diseased can be unhealthy for me. I can eat everything else. For me, horse isn't unhealthy, provided it meets the rules I've just described. It just makes me feel a bit...Ewww. You eat what you want, and I'll eat what I want. Ok?

Yeah I do eat what I want, but you seem to be happy that companies are putting things in your food and not telling you they're in there which to say the least is a bit of a blase attitude to your health.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have contradicted yourself here.
    I have not.
    They do put any old crap in cheap food. The recent news proves that. It is not a contravention of food hygiene but it is a case of making the food as cheaply as possible. There can't possibly be any profit in a 12p burger once you've taken away the packaging and distribution costs away. They've got to scrimp somewhere and the testing and quality procedures are bottom of the list.
    Maybe we are crossing technical wires here.

When i'm talking about quality procedures, i am talking about hygiene not quality meat or food.

They are not legally above the FSA and the law!
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, to me it doesn't matter much what is in a product as long as they label it as such. Then we can all make our own minds up what we will eat and what we won't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I do eat what I want, but you seem to be happy that companies are putting things in your food and not telling you they're in there which to say the least is a bit of a blase attitude to your health.
    You actually didn't read my post, did you? Well I am not going to repeat myself.
    Forum Member
    You actually didn't read my post, did you? Well I am not going to repeat myself.

Love to know which bit I missed. Your attitude is weird to say the least.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has made me wonder about the "wonderful" cheap continental meats that Aldi and Lidl sell. They could have squirrel and badger in them for all we know.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like how that the horse dna that was found has appropriately been assumed in general in this thread and throughout the internet that it's actually good quality meat that was found:D

The clue is in the name, Horse DNA = any part of the horse
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    It has made me wonder about the "wonderful" cheap continental meats that Aldi and Lidl sell. They could have squirrel and badger in them for all we know.

Or they could just sell them at a lower profit margin.