Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• Options
    chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    i have a "legal" russian link if interested.now 3-0 final set with 2 breaks.cant believe it after first day
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Dan 2 breaks up in the 3rd
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    i have a "legal" russian link if interested.now 3-0 final set with 2 breaks.cant believe it after first day

Perfectly legal official LTA link with English commentary!:D

http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/Davis-Cup/Watch-LIVE/
  • Options
    TransponsterTransponster Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: Jelena takes the first set 6-3 against Serena. Was not expecting that.
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the links, although I may switch off as he was doing fine before I turned on.

Edit, no I think I'm ok, he just won the game :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Perfectly legal official LTA link with English commentary!:D

http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/Davis-Cup/Watch-LIVE/

mine is legal too:eek:

i need this.....in ireland....4-0 lol. will this put britain in a world group play off?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    mine is legal too:eek:

i need this.....in ireland....4-0 lol. will this put britain in a world group play off?

Yes - sorry. Fine if you are in the Irish Republic!

GB will play one of the eight teams that lost in the world group round 1 - the losing teams on the left hand side. That includes Spain and Switzerland - although Rafa and Roger probably wouldn't play.

http://www.daviscup.com/en/draws-results/world-group.aspx
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't want to get ahead of myself, but way to go Dan! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    could they play australia?australia and britain are my 2 fav davis cup teams.if so.i hope murray is not interested and hewitt kills evans on grass.sorry in advance!!
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Don't want to get ahead of myself, but way to go Dan! :D

never forget 6-0 6-0 5-0 eh?

anyway just got home and saw the score, who says we're a one man DC team?

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes!

well done Evans and Ward
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    never forget 6-0 6-0 5-0 eh?

anyway just got home and saw the score, who says we're a one man DC team?

:)
    Not wishing to take away from today's fantastic achievement, but Russia may well have sent a stronger team if Murray was playing. Even if you assume Murray were to win his two matches (which isn't certain as he was trashed by the Miami final), it's possible they'd have a different doubles team. As it is, I think they assumed they'd win the singles matches fairly easily, so didn't need to worry much about doubles.

Whatever may have happened, I think it's best all round it happened like this. A brilliant experience for Ward and Evans and they'll get proper attention for it too. Plus Murray will go into the clay season a bit fresher, and hopefully with some fancy new clay moves he's been working on.
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES! :D

Evans' variety and net approaches were too much for Donskoy to cope with.

Pleased to be proved wrong, that was quite the comeback. It serves Russia right for taking us lightly. :p

Should have Muzza for the WG play-off in Sep. Fingers crossed we avoid Spain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Not wishing to take away from today's fantastic achievement, but Russia may well have sent a stronger team if Murray was playing. Even if you assume Murray were to win his two matches (which isn't certain as he was trashed by the Miami final), it's possible they'd have a different doubles team. As it is, I think they assumed they'd win the singles matches fairly easily, so didn't need to worry much about doubles.

Whatever may have happened, I think it's best all round it happened like this. A brilliant experience for Ward and Evans and they'll get proper attention for it too. Plus Murray will go into the clay season a bit fresher, and hopefully with some fancy new clay moves he's been working on.

Not wishing to get carried away either, but we could only beat what was in front of us. The fact is we lost two close ties on Friday, convincingly won doubles and did the job today

Well done the GB team, glad we didn't just fold "because we can't win without Andy"
  • Options
    popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to the Dan and James (and of course the doubles team on Saturday). It may have been a weak Russia team but still a great result. Let's hope it will see them realise their potential on the singles tour.

So Britain could play

Spain
    Swizerland
    Brazil
    Austria
    Belgium
    Croatia
    Israel
    Germany

What are the chances of Andy playing? It would be great if we were drawn at home and it was played on Centre Court at Wimbledon!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact Venus at 33 years old and no where near her best still beat two of the up and coming Americans in the same day is quite something.

I was just coming online to post something similar - quite worrying for the future of American tennis. On the other hand, who was that young woman Serena played in the semis? She seems to have something about her.
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Novak beats Querrey 75 67 61 60 and Serbia are through.

Horrible. Novak twisted his ankle very badly at 1-1 in the first and was in obvious pain and discomfort for the first two sets. In his post-match interview he said he would have retired if he wasn't playing for his country ... and he hopes he hasn't made it worse. Guess we'll have to wait and see. :(
  • Options
    GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »

Horrible. Novak twisted his ankle very badly at 1-1 in the first and was in obvious pain and discomfort for the first two sets. In his post-match interview he said he would have retired if he wasn't playing for his country ... and he hopes he hasn't made it worse. Guess we'll have to wait and see. :(

It's touching to see that level of devotion. I like how he went and thanked all the members of the USA team.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So potentially, for at least one clay court tournament, we could see the unique situation where Andy is the No 1 seed

Seeing as he's never made a final of a clay event, this does show up the occasional quirks of the tennis ranking system
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What are the chances of Andy playing? It would be great if we were drawn at home and it was played on Centre Court at Wimbledon!

I've read various sources on twitter saying Murray has confirmed he'll play.
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smartie 33 wrote: »
    I was just coming online to post something similar - quite worrying for the future of American tennis. On the other hand, who was that young woman Serena played in the semis? She seems to have something about her.
    :confused:

Serena played Venus in the semi. Other semi was JJ v Voegele.

Querrey checked out after winning the TB. No excuses for that with Courier in your corner and a home crowd.

Nole was grimacing for a long while after the injury, he could've aggravated it. Suppose he (and we) will find out in a few days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You've got to hope that he will play in the play off and then if we qualify committing to the DC whilst we are in the world group at the very least.

With him and a decent doubles pairing GB could go far..

Does anyone know if Heather Watson is playing in the Fed Cup?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Querrey checked out after winning the TB. No excuses for that with Courier in your corner and a home crowd.

Nole was grimacing for a long while after the injury, he could've aggravated it. Suppose he (and we) will find out in a few days.

One would think winning the tiebreak would have filled him with confidence and determination, but you're right, it was just the opposite. Very strange to see. He played some magnificent points in the first two sets.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nole pulled out of Monte Carlo to be honest. I've thought he might ever since he committed to playing DC in the US, with this injury I would suggest it's the sensible option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's on the record as saying he plans to play in September, but obviously that doesn't rule out injury etc.

That tie is the week after the US Open, in the gap before the Asian swing, so we'll have to hope he doesn't lose any toe-nails this year! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused:

Serena played Venus in the semi. Other semi was JJ v Voegele.

Didn't mean the semis - but the quarter final the day before. Serena was playing a young woman whom the commentators kept saying was straight out off college with little experience at that level. Hey - think I'd recognise if it were Venus!!!:)
This discussion has been closed.