Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious how many of us are reading the spoilers. There were only two people who responded to my recent spoiler and I realized perhaps most on this forum might be filtering their info until the show airs.

Would you let me know if you're reading the spoilers?

For me half the enjoyment of a holiday is the anticipation and planning. This is the same for the spoilers because the tiny sneak peeks we get, the anticipation of the show and watching it come together make the final product all the more fun, for me.

As I see the spoilers I am thinking "how are they going to incorporate that character/plot line...". I come up with a whole lot of scenarios, only to be blown away by the actual plot that the writers come up with. Some of the scenes we see in the spoilers are edited out but it is great looking for them when the episodes unfold. This gives me something extra to look for in each episode as I watch them for the first time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if we think about Edith's life story and how it might end... but here is a bit more info since you are into spoilers, cc.cookie--
    It is about a woman diagnosed with late stage ovarian cancer. The ending is poignant, not happy--but there is much to be learned here. My husband died from prostate cancer and this film means a great deal to me. The music Spiegel im Spiegel by Arvo Part is used to great effect.

Ah, thank you, last Romantic. Not a movie for me.

Last Romantic, So sorry for you loss.

In the last 7 years I have lost my father in law to bladder cancer, my sister in law (age 53) to pancreatic cancer, my brother in law survived prostrate cancer but has contracted parkinsons (age 60). My mother in law is in the last stages of pancreatic cancer and we're taking it in turns to look after her in her home. My mother is on the slippery slope to dementia but luckily she's in a great nursing home.

I can only tolerate happy movies and shows in my life right now. :):):)
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm..bad boy! Wonder what others think?

For sure a bad boy. But not the type of bad boy your mother warned you about - the type of bad boy who likes to get into mischief.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was puzzled about the "embarrassment" part but then remembered that in their first encounter he showed her diagnosis up to be wrong and saved the dog psychologist woman from unnecessary surgery. That should have been a bit embarrassing for her.

And yes, it did take her a bit to start up as a predator, because first and foremost she was dismissive of him in his new role, and she had to ascertain that Martin "hadn't lost his edge", that he was someone she still could and had to respect (he did that clearly with the above surgery save).

And I do so love your observation and Martin's statement in the words I made bold in your message!

And I do agree with everyone about the poetry piece being one of the most intriguing aspects of the Doc and his inner life.

It's interesting that Edith trying to win DM over to her, and her setting up a hotel room for their intimacy to fully restart their relationship, with him being sober the entire time, is seen as her being a "predator", but LG attempting to get him drunk so she can seduce him is a love story.

I guess what folks perceive is Edith using DM for her own whims, while LG was in love with him. We know DM is in love with LG, but I don't really believe Edith knew that or that she understood LG loved him too. Certainly, LG's actions during the last three months of her pregnancy would not lead Edith to believe she loved him; she wouldn't even allow him to come with her on an ultrasound. They were separated as a couple nonetheless when LG did show up at the back door, Edith did courteously leave.

I'm not really a "fan" of Edith Montgomery, although her character is very intriguing to me, but I do not think she is as evil and and wicked as some folks view her. She is obviously backwards emotionally just like DM is, and perhaps we should not blame her outright for her actions, as we have come to see DM more as damaged from his childhood than simply a total, conscious jerk. One wonders if Edith has much the similar traumatic past and is loving DM as best she can, just like DM is loving LG as best he can when he mentions she is "hormonal" or calls her an "erotomaniac".
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Martin Ellingham drop dead sexy? I never thought of him in that way but I suppose he has some appeal in the way of an exceedingly intelligent man. But if I had my choice between a shirtless Doc Martin and a shirtless PC Penhale, I would forego the intellectual stimulation.

I cannot agree with that!

DM over Penhale for me, 100%, clothed, nekkid, or any other way. ;):o:)

(And, I'm not interested in MC; just DM.)
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by Mofromco View Post
    MC is the best on screen kisser that I've ever seen...
    You know, I am really glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. What is it about him?! :confused:

For me, there seems to be a "gentleness" (sorry, Mark Mylow!) about his kisses, and yes, I've looked at a lot of them from all his different stuff, even his young years. They usually seem quite romantic, even in some of the sexier scenes from Dirty Tricks.

But then I like his fuller lips also. Gave up dating thin-lipped men a million years ago. Just never seemed to fit. Now there's a bias for ya. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Northern exposure.

Sorry, all I remember about the location of Northern Exposure is snow. Lots and lots of snow. :(
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, there seems to be a "gentleness" (sorry, Mark Mylow!) about his kisses, and yes, I've looked at a lot of them from all his different stuff, even his young years. They usually seem quite romantic, even in some of the sexier scenes from Dirty Tricks.

But then I like his fuller lips also. Gave up dating thin-lipped men a million years ago. Just never seemed to fit. Now there's a bias for ya. :o

Yes, there is a gentleness and tentativeness about them that is so gentle and sweet. And even when things are getting down to business he is not shoving his tongue down their throats. But it's very hot...yes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Ah, thank you, last Romantic. Not a movie for me.

Last Romantic, So sorry for you loss.

In the last 7 years I have lost my father in law to bladder cancer, my sister in law (age 53) to pancreatic cancer, my brother in law survived prostrate cancer but has contracted parkinsons (age 60). My mother in law is in the last stages of pancreatic cancer and we're taking it in turns to look after her in her home. My mother is on the slippery slope to dementia but luckily she's in a great nursing home.

I can only tolerate happy movies and shows in my life right now. :):):)

Yes, that I can understand.
    My condolences, cc.cookie--that is a huge amount of trauma to cope with in a seven year period. I sympathize--I lost my son to suicide one year after my husband's death. This was ten years ago but it is still all with me. I actually like movies with the theme of death (talking about quality films here)--I myself do not fear death but I find they help me think my way through various aspects. By the way, since you are in Australia, you must know about Muriel's Wedding. My husband and I loved it. While heartbreaking in parts, it is very upbeat. Whoever made it doesn't seem to have made any others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    It's interesting that Edith trying to win DM over to her, and her setting up a hotel room for their intimacy to fully restart their relationship, with him being sober the entire time, is seen as her being a "predator", but LG attempting to get him drunk so she can seduce him is a love story.

I guess what folks perceive is Edith using DM for her own whims, while LG was in love with him. We know DM is in love with LG, but I don't really believe Edith knew that or that she understood LG loved him too. Certainly, LG's actions during the last three months of her pregnancy would not lead Edith to believe she loved him; she wouldn't even allow him to come with her on an ultrasound. They were separated as a couple nonetheless when LG did show up at the back door, Edith did courteously leave.

I'm not really a "fan" of Edith Montgomery, although her character is very intriguing to me, but I do not think she is as evil and and wicked as some folks view her. She is obviously backwards emotionally just like DM is, and perhaps we should not blame her outright for her actions, as we have come to see DM more as damaged from his childhood than simply a total, conscious jerk. One wonders if Edith has much the similar traumatic past and is loving DM as best she can, just like DM is loving LG as best he can when he mentions she is "hormonal" or calls her an "erotomaniac".

That word "predator" comes up for me because MC himself described EM that way in an interview. So I have to assume that is the assessment we are at least somewhat to take away regarding EM. I didn't see her as predatory at first (or pushing the romance wagon, if you will) but later she does go straight for it, pushing all the way.

But then I didn't like her from the moment she told Doc "you don't have to save her" when he learned that LG was pregnant. (I can still remember an actual physical response I had on hearing it.) Of course, he didn't have to, but I thought it was quite brassy of her to advise at all in a situation where she knew nothing of its history.

Interesting to think about: your last paragraph. Except, I just can't like her/respect her/care enough to do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Yes, there is a gentleness and tentativeness about them that is so gentle and sweet. And even when things are getting down to business he is not shoving his tongue down their throats. But it's very hot...yes

Ah, yes, you completed the last part of my thought that slipped away (the tongue part--well, maybe just a little in a couple scenes). Hot, hot, hot--yes, yes, yes!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    For sure a bad boy. But not the type of bad boy your mother warned you about - the type of bad boy who likes to get into mischief.
    I cannot agree with that!

DM over Penhale for me, 100%, clothed, nekkid, or any other way. ;):o:)

(And, I'm not interested in MC; just DM.)

Wow!--a lot of imagery going on here! It's getting a bit steamy...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Mona brings up a good point that Edith may have had a similar background to Martin with detached parents. Martin is attracted to Louisa and she had a similar background of parental neglect, although not as severe as Martin. Perhaps there is something in Martin that relates to women with similar bad childhoods.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really like your thoughts on Edith, Mona.
    I don't really see Edith as predatory. I see the big difference between Edith and LG is that Edith wants to change DM. She doesn't like Portwenn, she wants him to be a surgeon in London, she wants him to get over his blood phobia. Edith likes the idea of a relationship with DM but I'm not sure she really loves DM even to the full extent that she can love someone.

LG recognises that he's difficult, a stick of rock and gruff, monosyllabic and rude (even if he's well meaning) but she still loves him. She's prepared to go to London for him which is a huge step for her because we know she hates it there.
    She doesn't just like the idea of him but even though it is against her will at times, she really loves him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Sorry, all I remember about the location of Northern Exposure is snow. Lots and lots of snow. :(

There sure was a lot of that. But there was also a lot of beautiful water views, animals, ancient trees, beautiful timber buildings, and lovely wide open spaces.

As long as I wasn't actually there freezing I could enjoy the view from my nice warm lounge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that I can understand.
    My condolences, cc.cookie--that is a huge amount of trauma to cope with in a seven year period. I sympathize--I lost my son to suicide one year after my husband's death. This was ten years ago but it is still all with me. I actually like movies with the theme of death (talking about quality films here)--I myself do not fear death but I find they help me think my way through various aspects. By the way, since you are in Australia, you must know about Muriel's Wedding. My husband and I loved it. While heartbreaking in parts, it is very upbeat. Whoever made it doesn't seem to have made any others.
    What an unbelievable time you have had. Losing a close relative is one thing but losing a husband and a son are totally beyond my comprehension. My thoughts are with you.

Muriels Wedding was written and directed by PJ Hogan (not Paul Hogan) who has done a few other off beat movies since but none as successful as Muriel's Wedding.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow!--a lot of imagery going on here! It's getting a bit steamy...

I still think the kiss in the back of the taxi was very, very sexy - and there was a lot to it. First was the build up, the anticipation. Once their fingers touch, Louisa makes her move. Then they stop and she looks at him with pure lust in her eyes (great acting?) Is there anything sexier than a partner that has THAT look? The second part of the kiss, he reaches for her and really gets into it (that's why we know the breath thing can't be such a big deal.) MC/the Doc is a great kisser - and he and CC/Louisa are such a fantastic match physically. Tremendous screen chemistry in every way.

You know, Julie Graham has said how extremely sexy Martin is to work with romantically, but I have never heard CC say anything about that. In fact, why is she not interviewed more? Is it that she's not asked or not willing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am having a good laugh over the things emerging here - spoilers, big hands and ears, tall men, brunette women, clothing, filming and camera angles, myths and legends, pony tails and makeup, contraception... :) I'm glad we all understand this is a TV show, right? TV? Like ... on no, maybe it's not??? :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    I am having a good laugh over the things emerging here - spoilers, big hands and ears, tall men, brunette women, clothing, filming and camera angles, myths and legends, pony tails and makeup, contraception... :) I'm glad we all understand this is a TV show, right? TV? Like ... on no, maybe it's not??? :o

Do you mean there's another world out there ? ? ?

:eek:
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think the kiss in the back of the taxi was very, very sexy - and there was a lot to it. First was the build up, the anticipation. Once their fingers touch, Louisa makes her move. Then they stop and she looks at him with pure lust in her eyes (great acting?) Is there anything sexier than a partner that has THAT look? The second part of the kiss, he reaches for her and really gets into it (that's why we know the breath thing can't be such a big deal.) MC/the Doc is a great kisser - and he and CC/Louisa are such a fantastic match physically. Tremendous screen chemistry in every way.

You know, Julie Graham has said how extremely sexy Martin is to work with romantically, but I have never heard CC say anything about that. In fact, why is she not interviewed more? Is it that she's not asked or not willing?

Do you know where Julie Graham talked about this? I'd like to read or watch it. They were great in William and Mary although she was a shrew in the last season. PM me if it's one of those risky posts. Back to DM
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Oh not for me - it's the whole package. So Ellingham over Penhale all day long!

Sorry - me too

No contest :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know where Julie Graham talked about this? I'd like to read or watch it. They were great in William and Mary although she was a shrew in the last season. PM me if it's one of those risky posts. Back to DM

I read it fairly recently and I think it was a print article somebody provided to either this forum or one of the FaceBook sites. My guess is Connie, our archivist of everything MC, provided it.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I read it fairly recently and I think it was a print article somebody provided to either this forum or one of the FaceBook sites. My guess is Connie, our archivist of everything MC, provided it.

Here's the quote and a link to the interview with JG.

"Glaswegian Julie says she loved working with Martin. "He is very sexy. He's smart, funny and talented, a demon combination. He's also madly in love with his wife and little girl." She even enjoyed filming a scene where both actors were required to strip off and share a bath together.

"Oh, it was lovely," she says. "But then, it would be lovely being naked with Martin Clunes anywhere." But then, Julie is no stranger to unconventional love scenes."

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Cheating+made+me+feel+disloyal+but+I+knew+Joseph+was+the+one%3B...-a099015106
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read every one of them! When I was reading DM S5 blogspot after S5 was being filmed, seeing the pixs of fans visiting PI and some of the outdoor scenes you really didn't know what was going on. Climbing that ladder to the PW school roof and many flicker pixs posted I still couldn't piece together why DM was going to climb. When Penhale's patrol car goes over the stone wall, I didn't know why that happened, the conversation DM & AR had outside the surgery when he held JH in one arm and a bag of refuse in the other, no clues either what transpired, the conversation LG had with ELInor outside the pub patio--couldn't tell. So for me nothing is spoiled, it only heightens my enthusiasm to see
    S6 with the indoor and outdoor dialogue.
    As for Northern Exposure, the actor Rob Morrow playing the doctor appeared to me to be queasy touching his patients, whereas DM never gave you that feeling that he was an actor playing a doctor and had to touch some of his disgusting patient's feet, stomach, whatever. He was completely at ease
    sticking his finger in mouths, too.
    In speaking of Edith, what a complete turnaround from when this forum discussed her after S4! She was referred to as boney trollop, or BT for short. She was an essential element in the storyline IMO. Just as at this point we didn't much care for S5, perhaps we will see by the end of everyone viewing S6 why that was played with such darkness.
    Talk about a true fan, I am typing this with my cast on my right hand, all I can say is I am coping and enjoying all your posts (and Spoilers) --a real pick-me-up.:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I read every one of them! When I was reading DM S5 blogspot after S5 was being filmed, seeing the pixs of fans visiting PI and some of the outdoor scenes you really didn't know what was going on. Climbing that ladder to the PW school roof and many flicker pixs posted I still couldn't piece together why DM was going to climb. When Penhale's patrol car goes over the stone wall, I didn't know why that happened, the conversation DM & AR had outside the surgery when he held JH in one arm and a bag of refuse in the other, no clues either what transpired, the conversation LG had with ELInor outside the pub patio--couldn't tell. So for me nothing is spoiled, it only heightens my enthusiasm to see
    S6 with the indoor and outdoor dialogue.
    As for Northern Exposure, the actor Rob Morrow playing the doctor appeared to me to be queasy touching his patients, whereas DM never gave you that feeling that he was an actor playing a doctor and had to touch some of his disgusting patient's feet, stomach, whatever. He was completely at ease
    sticking his finger in mouths, too.
    In speaking of Edith, what a complete turnaround from when this forum discussed her after S4! She was referred to as boney trollop, or BT for short. She was an essential element in the storyline IMO. Just as at this point we didn't much care for S5, perhaps we will see by the end of everyone viewing S6 why that was played with such darkness.
    Talk about a true fan, I am typing this with my cast on my right hand, all I can say is I am coping and enjoying all your posts (and Spoilers) --a real pick-me-up.:D:D

It looks like several of us are getting a pick-me-up of the non-medicinal variety here while we deal with medical and other not-so-fun life issues. How thankful I am for this lovely distraction that's been helping me cope. A true fan--yes, you are, marchrand! :)
This discussion has been closed.