Forum Member
I'm after a new petrol lawn mower, requirements as follows:

- Electric start - this is essential!
- Self propelled
- Readily available parts in the UK
- Rotary, not cylinder
- Good for tough/thick grass and slightly uneven/bumpy ground
- Reliable, sturdy

I won't specifiy a price at this stage, let's just see what happens. :)

Thanks

Comments

• c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how big an area do you need to cut ? What sort of cut width are you looking for ?
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Haven't really measured it to be honest - two smallish lawns with thick, dense grass AND a moderate amount of grassy paths that also have thick, dense grass. Quite a bit really - not huge in total, but certainly not small either.

The mower really needs to be tough, capable and reliable.

As for cut width - at least 16 inches (42 cm).

Thanks
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wont go far wrong with a Mountfield petrol mower....If you can obtain one with a Briggs and Stratton engine so much the better.

Whatever you do don't go for a cheapie ....the likes of power devil etc etc.
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I was reading about Mountfield and they do sound good. However, some people were warning that some of the engines used are poor so presumably it MUST have a Briggs and Stratton engine?
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Thanks, I was reading about Mountfield and they do sound good. However, some people were warning that some of the engines used are poor so presumably it MUST have a Briggs and Stratton engine?

I have a fiend who services and repairs petrol mowers and he swears by Briggs and Stratton (not at them lol) he also recommends Honda engined mountfields.

edit: I'll be speaking to him tomorrow and I'll ask what size B&S engine he reccomends.
    Forum Member
    Perfect, many thanks. :)
  • oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Hi

After 20 years cutting 5000 square metres of rough lawn I suggest a Honda engine and an aluminium chassis Briggs and Stratton engines are Ok but in my opinion Honda are more powerful The first thing to go, I have got through 4 in this period is the clutch/gearbox via a band drive followed by a rusty steel chassis , if I could afforded it I would buy hydraulic drive and side evacuation for when the going gets tough I have no idea of self starters
    Forum Member
    Thanks very much, that's useful to know.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Honda engine definitely has more poke than the Briggs and Stratton.
    (I've used both, in 20" Mountfields)

Why do you insist on an electric start?
    Just another thing to go wrong, in my opinion.

Mind you, a pull start can be hard on the elbow. Specially if you stand too close to a wall or fence post when trying to start it. :eek: :cry::D

I've been a professional gardener for 20 years, and when I first started I had nothing but Honda mowers, but they've priced themselves out of the market, as far as I'm concerned.
    Mountfields aren't as good, but with a Honda engine, they are the next best thing.
    Still not cheap by any means though.

Using it professionally a mower is worn out in about four seasons (unless you buy the proper 'professional' models), but for my own grass at home I have a little Haytor, and that's been going strong for 22 years.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice.

We need an electric start as my wife has problems with pull starts.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Definitely go for a Mountfield fitted with a Honda engine.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Mountfield fitted with a Mountfield engine; it's Chinese!
    Forum Member
    Noted re the engines - apparently some are also Indian and they're also of a poor quality.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we just bought a Viking (made by Stihl) from a proper farm machinery place. They also had John Deere mowers, which were out of our price range

The viking is brilliant.