Best #2s in the UK Singles Chart - that should have been #1?

Comments

• CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Waterloo Sunset ~ The Kinks

Kept from the top by The Tremeloes' Silence is Golden.
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take That kept off Xmas no1 by mr blobby, I remember being about 14 and furious lol

Although they were no 1 a week previously. Still it could be worse, Eminem was denied the number 1 slot by Bob The Builder for the Christmas No1 in 2000
  • AKindSoulAKindSoul Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    'In The Air Tonight' by Phil Collins.

Very well known that Joe Dolce stopped Ultravox with 'Vienna' getting to number 1, but Phil would have been number 1 had the UK not been mourning John Lennon's death and his songs were swapping the number 1 spot between them.

F.R David with 'Words'

Sadly this classic piece of euro love was denied by Spandau Ballet and 'True' , what a travesty ;)
  • THEXFACTORKINGTHEXFACTORKING Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dannii minogue- I begin to wonder
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although they were no 1 a week previously. Still it could be worse, Eminem was denied the number 1 slot by Bob The Builder for the Christmas No1 in 2000

Anyone releasing a song at Christmas is going to be kept off the top by a pile of crap these days.
  • hadjilouca05hadjilouca05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    As much as I can't stand Pharrell Williams - "Happy", I do wish it got #1 a week earlier to stop that X Factor crap from getting Xmas #1.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Fairytale of New York
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Michael Jackson - Man in the Mirror back in 2009, kept off number 1 by the incredibly chavvy Cascada - Evacuate the Dancefloor
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,910
    Forum Member
    Shakira - Whenever, Wherever
    Tin Tin Out & Emma Bunton - What I Am
    Rihanna - Unfaithful
    One Direction - Story Of My Life
    Girls Aloud - Something New
    Gabrielle & East 17 - If You Ever
    James Morrison/Nelly Furtado - Broken Strings
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Jackson - Man in the Mirror back in 2009, kept off number 1 by the incredibly chavvy Cascada - Evacuate the Dancefloor

When Man In The Mirror was originally released in 1988 it only got to No.21 which is odd as it's, in my opinion, one of his better songs. I think it charted so low originally as it never had a proper video but obviously after his death it became a sort of unofficial anthem so I was happy it got a higher chart placing the 2nd time around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Legend - All Of Me
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Song 2 by Blur and Speed of Sound by Coldplay.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fairytale of New York

Good shout, I always forget about this song in polls like this unless it's Christmas.
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,690
    Forum Member
    Dannii Minogue - I Begin To Wonder
  • hadjilouca05hadjilouca05 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    When Man In The Mirror was originally released in 1988 it only got to No.21 which is odd as it's, in my opinion, one of his better songs. I think it charted so low originally as it never had a proper video but obviously after his death it became a sort of unofficial anthem so I was happy it got a higher chart placing the 2nd time around.

It didn't do well first time round because its parent album "Bad" was a massive success so there would be no point people buying the single if they were buying the album.
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas Time(Don't let the bells end) by The Darkness
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Ballroom Blitz - The Sweet. (Mind you they had a long history of missing out on the No 1 spot))
  • rocking_chairrocking_chair Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scorpions - Wind of Change
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Michael Jackson - GIve In To Me, kept off number 1 by 2 Unlimited - No Limit
  • Sparky9870Sparky9870 Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Kayleigh, was kept off the top by a charity single.. hate these things

Yes - Kayleigh was one of the finest singles of the 1980s, an absolute classic. Kept from No. 1 by a charity version of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' in aid of the victims of the Bradford City Football Club fire. Well-intentioned but a shockingly bad record. I seem to remember it was organised by Gerry Marsden but cannot for the life of me remember anyone else who sang on it (wasn't the 'group' known as The Crowd?) Really bad video as well.
  • pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Saturday's Comic Relief single "Just Can't Get Enough" which was beaten by Flo Rida of all people >:( and "Forever Is Over" which I think was beaten by Chipmunk- "Oopsy Daisy"
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjh8 wrote: »
    The Saturday's Comic Relief single "Just Can't Get Enough" which was beaten by Flo Rida of all people >:( and "Forever Is Over" which I think was beaten by Chipmunk- "Oopsy Daisy"

Some might say that all Saturdays singles are number twos.
  • TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God Only Knows by the Beach Boys (the b-side was Wouldn't it be nice)

2 of the best songs ever written.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some might say that all Saturdays singles are number twos.

:D:D Harsh!