Telephone number 00000 000 000 called...

SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've come home and dialled 1471 to see if anyone called while I was out, and the number given is 00000 000 000. :D

It was actually a call from yesterday and I was at home to answer - it was the voice of an Indian lady and I'm afraid she didn't get further than the first few words, as I am so fed up with sales calls that I just say I am not interested and hang up as soon as I have ascertained it is a nuisance sales call. (and before anyone says it - yes, I am TPS registered!)

So this clearly wasn't the actual number she was calling from - is this a new version of 'we do not have the caller's number', or is there any significance in me being given a string of zeros instead of a real number?

Comments

• Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a ghost! :eek:
  • OK Then!!!OK Then!!! Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont no what that could be...
  • WiddyWiddy Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously spoofing the caller id to get past annonymous caller reject.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably from Pluto.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telemarketers :D
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    I had this number call me at 2.30am the other week when I was alone in the house and my boys were at their dad's house. There was no-one one the line and it took about an hour for my heart rate to return to normal!
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was God.

Selling loft insulation.
  • Skip_TechSkip_Tech Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    invisicall
  • slt2653slt2653 Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    When an international number rings me, sometimes the caller display says 'international' but on other occasions the display just shows me a load of zero's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw that's amazing...I bet it's the TARDIS number!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it rings you 3 times, you will die
  • FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think its operator services
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    I had this number call me at 2.30am the other week when I was alone in the house and my boys were at their dad's house. There was no-one one the line and it took about an hour for my heart rate to return to normal!

The calls are automatically generated by call centres and when you answer there isn't always someone available straight away to talk to you so you just get silence. They're quite happy to waste your time getting up in the middle of the night to answer the phone but can't be bothered to spend any of their own time waiting while the phone rings in case someone answers it. Feel like buying anything from them?

We have two solutions to this. On one line the phone has a night mode which stops it ringing but you can set numbers in your phonebook to override this. I leave the phone in night mode permanently and set all the numbers in the phonebook to override night mode, so it will only ring when someone I know calls. On the other line we actually need to be able to take calls from strangers so we've invested in a truecall device which can be set to do all sorts of things. We have ours set up so it asks the caller to press a number and only puts them through if they press the right number when asked. This means silent calls never get put through and we haven't had a telemarketer yet who's bother to go through the system. You can block specific numbers and allow specific numbers straight through so friends and family don't have to go through the system. You can also block international, withheld and unavailable numbers, and you can set it so blocked callers don't know they've been blocked if you want. It is pricey though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Just likely a spoofed number.

Just remember you can not rely on the number displayed / read out with the caller display service.

I used to for fun spoof caller id or when I wanted to be anonymous but get through to someone with ACR spoof a number.

Now I just send out the caller ID of a number I have set to permanent voicemail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    slt2653 wrote: »
    When an international number rings me, sometimes the caller display says 'international' but on other occasions the display just shows me a load of zero's.

...or on my services displays the international number when available (which is almost all the time).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just had a missed call on my landline from 00000 000 000 as the numer at 20:29pm.. What the hell kind of phone number is that ? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it has just called me as well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really ? I wonder who the hell it could be calling us with a number like that ? :confused:
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Samara!! :eek::eek::eek:

I'd unplug all your TVs and get 'em to the nearest skip if I were you.