The Nottingham accent?

Comments

• CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Menk wrote: »
    Or even radged! :D

Lol, yeah, I've not heard that for a while.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Lol, yeah, I've not heard that for a while.

Or gearer's beng in the shurra.

Strange language isn't it - I have no idea how these words should be spelt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Newbie here! :) SInce I'm a Nottingham girl, this seems an appropriate thread to make my debut! :D

In my experience, you can go to places like Derby, Chesterfield and Leicester and hear very similar sounding accents. With Leicester, there is a hint of Brummie in it, whereas Derby and Nottingham have similar accents, though it's much stronger in Nottingham.

It seems to be a curious combination of Southern, Yorkshire and Birmingham all spliced together in a very curious combination. If you don't live here, I think it's hard to distinguish a Nottingham accent when you hear it, but if you do, and you hear it somewhere like on TV, it's absolutely unmistakeable. It's also very catchy! :D
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    lea_uk wrote: »
    We say duck in Northumberland too, mainly when we see a duck.

We from Brighton say it when someone is about to bang their head on a low beam. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    tmj83 wrote: »
    Newbie here! :) SInce I'm a Nottingham girl, this seems an appropriate thread to make my debut! :D

In my experience, you can go to places like Derby, Chesterfield and Leicester and hear very similar sounding accents. With Leicester, there is a hint of Brummie in it, whereas Derby and Nottingham have similar accents, though it's much stronger in Nottingham.

It seems to be a curious combination of Southern, Yorkshire and Birmingham all spliced together in a very curious combination. If you don't live here, I think it's hard to distinguish a Nottingham accent when you hear it, but if you do, and you hear it somewhere like on TV, it's absolutely unmistakeable. It's also very catchy! :D

Welcome to DS ! There are a few of us from Nottingham on here. I don't think I have much of a Nottingham accent , though, certainly not a strong one , but I did live in London for a bit , so may have lost it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I had a friend from Nottingham, her accent was pretty netural. I wouldn't be able to place it, it wasn't strong or noticable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived there for a couple of years 'dont have a mardie' is quite common. (dont be in a mood). Never heard 'Duck' apart from in Derby.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    barneyboy wrote: »
    I lived there for a couple of years 'dont have a mardie' is quite common. (dont be in a mood). Never heard 'Duck' apart from in Derby.

I always assumed mardie was quite common!

The Nottingham accent is quite muted. As a Derbyshire girl who works in Nottingham I always thought I had a muted accent myself... Apparently I sound rural to them...
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Us lot in Derbyshire are guilty of saying duck more then the Nottingham lot.

Agree.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    And the most slovenly and lazy drawl...

ent i... (isn't it)
    doown cha (don't you)

Agreed, I grew up in Nottingham, and it isn't an accent ,it's just lazy speech. "Esser code inti" Ever so cold isn't it.
    "Encher" haven't you.
  • phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Without offence to people from there, I think Mansfield has one of the worst accents in the country... It horrid! :o:o

Newark has a whole new vocabulary.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBilly wrote: »
    They say 'duck' a lot.

I don't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the Nottingham accent :D
    Loughborough I like the accent there as well [pretty similar I think?]
    I'm from South Yorkshire the accents around here are just rubbish! :sleep:
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ey-up me duck! canya gerrus a cheese cob fu me dinna
  • Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I have ever heard a Nottingham accent. Is there anyone famous who I can refer from?
  • allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    They only speak like that in Bulwell ' or Bu''ll as they pronounce it .

Just the word Bulwell gives me flashbacks and makes my stomach churn.
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    Nottingham's really weird for accents, they can be completely different in really small areas. I can remember being on a school trip and there were some kids from less than 10 miles from where I came from and I could barely understand a word they were saying. I guess that's the Bullwell accent for you though lol.

One thing that's always stuck in my mind when I talk about the Nottingham accent is what Bob Hoskins said once about it when he was interviewed about it when TwentyFourSeven came out:
    O: But was it difficult to adopt the Midlands accent?

BH: What's difficult is that Nottingham is a town with people from all over, a moving population—a lot of project housing and stuff like that. When I got there, I thought I'd try to get a Nottingham accent together, but then everyone I met had a different accent! I went into a pub, and this old guy swore to me that he had been born in Nottingham and his was a true Nottingham accent—and if I treated him to a few drinks, he would teach me his accent. Well, he used to go home drunk every night, and I still don't know if he came from Nottingham or not.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I don't think I have ever heard a Nottingham accent. Is there anyone famous who I can refer from?

It's not Nottingham as such, but Rebecca Adlington is pretty close.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I first came across the Nottingham accent in D H Lawrence's masterpiece 'Sons and Lovers'

But it read from the page like a lancashire or yorkshire accent

Maybe because I'm from Lancs i was reading it in my accent..............:p

But when i knew people from Nottingham and visited there it seemed pretty non-descript............
  • Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you was off having a listen on youtube :)
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Su Pollard is from Nottingham :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rebecca is from Mansfield... there's even a swimming pool there named after her :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    ey-up me duck! canya gerrus a cheese cob fu me dinna

He he, very typical ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newark has a whole new vocabulary.

I have family who live near Newark and know the area very well and have never heard any of those words and phrases before... never mind understand them!! :o;)
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I have family who live near Newark and know the area very well and have never heard any of those words and phrases before... never mind understand them!! :o;)

That type of lingo is most commonly used by the gypsies, people from the rougher areas and kids. Every school kid knows what 'someone's chorn me chockers' means (stolen my shoes) but very few adults would seriously speak like that.