Has Moffat jumped the shark?

Comments

• PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Another poor Christmas episode, a lesbian lizard in a relationship with an earthling, trying to upstage the gay robots in the last series? Could not see any relevance to the story line?

Dr Who trying to be more kissy feely with his new assistant?

In the BBCs attempt to promote minorities and shiny medals for all, has Moffat had his day?

No, next!
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Speaking of CBeebies the spin off show could do well there as she is a lesbian lizard the show could be called The Lizzy Lezzy Show
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the return of the gay agenda!! and no RTD in sight !

but on a more serious note, i think this was the best xmas episode so far.
    i usually find them absolutely dire, but i really enjoyed this one - and more importantly could see myself watching it again, which is usually the sign of a good episode for me, as i simply cannot sit through any of the previous 'specials' again.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    I think he's completely lost the plot (no pun intended).

Series 5 was (mostly great).

Series 6 was at times incredible up to the resolution - lazy lies and a total cop-out, imo.

The Doctor never uses guns and hates war, except when he blows up half a cyber-fleet just to find out where Amy is, etc/

Now he says that the arc-heavy stuff was too much, so he gives us less than half a series with completely independent stories.

Next we get a poorly plotted and paced, nonsensical, Christmas special that is totally arc heavy. Doesn't appeal to families as light viewing and makes no sense to fans until you've watched it at least twice.

The Doctor's 'married' but is smothered in kisses by Clara, and in return smothers her in kisses as she dies.

Yet another 'impossible, impossible' girl (is that number three after River and Amy?).

It makes no sense unless she's linked to either/both - which I guess she may well be.

In any case it's all getting a bit repetitive, no? A Doctor who doesn't die even when the showrunner promises he does. A girl who dies every time she appears (so far), but will keep on reappearing. A bit like Rory eh?

Where's the threat? There is none. There certainly wasn't any in yesterdays' effort.

My dad's ready to give up, I am too. What's the point? there was some terrible dross during RTD's tenure, mainly the Christmas specials, and most of the 'special' specials, but despite such moments on the whole you always thought the next episode could be better, so stuck with it.

I have no such hopes for Moffat-era Who, despite loving Smith to death. He can only work with what he's got.

So we now have yet another unsympathetic female companion from Moffat who is in love already (it seems) with the Doctor (that's a full house in my book). Another one who won't die. Another one who's 'impossible'. And this time, we have one who not only seems as clever as he is, but also more important to the plots and resolutions (so far, but I expect this to continue until the arc is resolved).

I never thought I'd look fondly back at Rose (she served an important purpose but never liked her, really), but...

As for Vastra I thought she was poor. Strax was lovable for me but just the butt of jokes (quite unkind ones at times). RTD started the pan-sexual nonsense with Captain Jack. Think about how that extrapolates...if you dare. For starters, what's the age of sexual maturity for aliens and the legality of it? Didn't matter to Jack, he'd rut a baby mouse imo if he was in the mood.

I'm done with this pile of **** for now. I hope to be proven wrong, but I don't expect to be.

And the BBC may be gone before too long anyway, with all this Savile stuff.

Interesting though - lizards having sex with humans, pan-sexuality in general, the moon having a major mention in this ep despite it breaking up the flow, reincarnation. David Icke may as well retire now, because almost all the really weird stuff he talks about is being beamed direct into out living rooms on Christmas Day.

Oh and just for the clincher, all the 'I'm off to find Clara' spiel at the end. That was new. Oh, hang on, it wasn't - we had exactly that with the end of AGMGTW. To paraphrase 'I'm going off to find Melody'.

And he didn't. Ddidn't even try as far as we know, and then for a number of episodes that poor distraught, helpless baby wasn't even mentioned.

Baby-snatching. Who cares about that eh?! Not the Doctor or the parents (apparently).

Done with this show for now. I shan't post here anymore until things have got an awful lot better.

OP - the shark was jumped when we saw a shark jumping in the Christmas episode two years' ago, imo. At least Moffat had the good grace to try to tell us.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Speaking of CBeebies the spin off show could do well there as she is a lesbian lizard the show could be called The Lizzy Lezzy Show

I think that's a You Tube cartoon already! No Cbeebies storylines though.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    And the BBC may be gone before too long anyway, with all this Savile stuff.

It won't go anywhere, i wouldn't worry. It's been found there was no cover up - and which big establishment "back in the day" didn't have paedophiles in it?
    Forum Member
    JayPee86 wrote: »
    the return of the gay agenda!! and no RTD in sight !

I think the phrase you're looking for is 'pan-sexual'.

And it's disgusting.

Wanna **** a cow or a sheep? Why not if it looks like they're keen eh? :rolleyes:
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Doctor never uses guns

Had to break my own rule just to highlight this masterpiece.
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »
    It won't go anywhere, i wouldn't worry. It's been found there was no cover up - and which big establishment "back in the day" didn't have paedophiles in it?

I'm not worried at all - I cannot wait. The BBC will be finished soon imo :)

Oh and paedophiles are everywhere, so that's ok then, let's just accept it eh? :rolleyes:

Thank goodness Doctor Who blazed the way in the public consciousness with its pan-sexuality!!
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wanna **** a cow or a sheep? Why not if it looks like they're keen eh? :rolleyes:

I must have missed that episode.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can Moffat jump the Shark unless he did it on a visit to Seaworld?

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think its Moffat with the problem. It seems some ao called 'fans' of the show have a Tardis full of issues that they would do well to discuss with their GP rather than subjecting us to their bizarre rantings. Also. Can people stop misusing the term Jump the Shark? It doesn't give your argument any more weight. Just shows you didn't understand what it meant in the first place.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I think the phrase you're looking for is 'pan-sexual'.

And it's disgusting.

Well, not quite the same. The Silurian and the human were able to converse in the same language and have a relationship based on seemingly equal control of the situation.

I agree with some of your criticisms of recent arc plots and general plotting and characterisation problems. But these things have been discussed more constructively in better threads than this homophobic one.
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Had to break my own rule just to highlight this masterpiece.

Yes, yes I know, no show of this type can run for so long without some major inconsistencies.

I am a child of the 70s. So I was thinking more of recent 'continuity'. Did you miss the whole Tennant era? :sleep:

Various sentences or phrases from my very long post can no doubt be torn apart. Take the whole thing, please, or not at all.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a child of the 70s. So I was thinking more of recent 'continuity'. Did you miss the whole Tennant era? :sleep:

Then thank you for highlighting that the Tennant era was the anomaly. The Doctor never uses guns, only when he did for 26 years,

I return to my slumber.
    Forum Member
    I'm not worried at all - I cannot wait. The BBC will be finished soon imo :)

Oh and paedophiles are everywhere, so that's ok then, let's just accept it eh? :rolleyes:

Thank goodness Doctor Who blazed the way in the public consciousness with its pan-sexuality!!

Largely missing the point with that response.

Any large organisation, particularly back in the 60s/70s/80s will have paedophile in it. There's no sense in shutting a place down because of what happened. That doesn't solve anything.

If your local hosptial have a Paedophile member of staff would you rather; A) Shut it down B) Take measures to stop it happening again, but still have a hospital?
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Another poor Christmas episode, a lesbian lizard in a relationship with an earthling, trying to upstage the gay robots in the last series? Could not see any relevance to the story line?

Dr Who trying to be more kissy feely with his new assistant?

In the BBCs attempt to promote minorities and shiny medals for all, has Moffat had his day?

Short answer: No.
    Reason: The Angels Take Manhattan.
    Forum Member

I don't think the BBC have any input at all into the writing of the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not Seen it mentioned but thought very telling it wasnt the fact she was a lesbian or even a lizard but Richard E grants Disgust she was Female.

When its mentioned about BBC trying to promote a Gay Agenda I really wish people would stop assuming if someones watches Gay themed thats going to turn people Gay.With all the Hetrosexual themes force fed to Gay people it had zero impact on me..*blush^

The Really clever moments
    the one word answers how he interlaced Pond with one of MS catchphrases.

I think Lessons have been learned the much darker tardis.The toned down madness of the doctor
    Im almost getting the vibe like with DT's doctor he's lost so many people its entering that stage of his adventure he knows it could be him next.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankyou Moonburn. Your second paragraph totally destroys the pernicious lies and nonsense perpetrated by the homophobe brigade. Good work.
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Well, not quite the same. The Silurian and the human were able to converse in the same language and have a relationship based on seemingly equal control of the situation.

I agree with some of your criticisms of recent arc plots and general plotting and characterisation problems. But these things have been discussed more constructively in better threads than this homophobic one.

I appreciate the language point, and thank you for at least reading my post fully (unlike some here it seems) and appreciating some of my arc and characterisation points, even if you disagree with the thread in general :)

I am certainly not homophobic, many of my best friends are gay. But it seems we have gone beyond gay rights now in Doctor Who, somehow, at least to me.

Anyway, getting back to the discussion; in the first appearance of Vastra and Jenny there was certainly no equality - it was almost S&M (perhaps). Vastra was 'Mistress' and Jenny was servile (the incredibly heavy-handed hint was that that was because of Vastra's incredibly long tongue, Jenny loved the oral sex so much she would put up with anything).

I am done with this show, at least for now. I do (dearly) hope to be proven wrong, but I'll put the rest of the series on record and catch up with it all at once. For me it's better that way than waiting months and months after a character is supposedly killed off for the next bit of the series, only to pop up again in a few episodes' time. And then the next episode. And then the next. And I expect a lot of that with Clara. It was 'cute' with Rory the first few times, tiresome when he started to do the same to Amy. And so it was mystifying when they finally WERE gone, because they had both been pulled back form far, far worse, many times already.

There is no THREAT anymore in Doctor Who, so what's the point?

Moffat can't write sympathetic female characters. That's a fact as far as I'm concerned. Just an aside. Expect Clara to be smart, sassy and sexy. Nothing deeper.

As for the thread title and OP, I don't see it as homophobic. The main point is that he's 'jumped the shark'. As someone who's old enough to have seen the origin of the phrase 'live' on TV at the time I did have to chuckle when 'called out' on knowing what it means. I'm aware though that's it's become a terrible cliche that's diminished the original meaning, so all I can say is that for me now, the show is over. But, I hope it returns :)

Love and light to you all xxx

P.S. I think it is high-time I went back to the start of the show and watched from the beginning, for the first time. What better way to celebrate the 50th?! :)
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I think that's a You Tube cartoon already! No Cbeebies storylines though.

You are quite right I should have known about it to since I do watch it as it's often on a FB page I use

On the minorities front why has there not been any Asexual's in Doctor Who or any show to my knowledge it would be good to see one show up somewhere just to show people we do exist
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    It's been a long time since I've enjoyed an episode of Dr. Who this much. So obviously the answer to your question is a resounding Nyetski!!!
    Forum Member
    As someone who's old enough to have seen the origin of the phrase 'live' on TV at the time I did have to chuckle when 'called out' on knowing what it means.

All I can say to that is "Aaay"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the BBC is under immense pressure to promote homosexuality into as many of its shows as possible as part of its mixed diversity, multi-cultural, left wing agenda . Just my opinion of course that I have noticed it creeping into more programmes.

They also need to appease their funding paymasters in the wake of some the Beebs stars being too friendly.

This thread was never intended to bash the Dr Who Xmas show, merely an observation from someone that has been watching Dr Who on and off over a 40 year period.

I suppose as you get older you can only compare the more recent actors efforts against Messrs Pertwee, Tom Baker, Manning, Sladen etc and I'm afraid Mr Smith is simply awful, as was the scottish girl introduced to try and sex it up, whose accent I could never understand.

Dr Who these days would not be out of place on the same channel as Blue Peter and In the Night Garden.

Feel free to call me stuck in the past but this forum was never intended just for Dr Who luvvies. I can only say it as I
    see it but Mr Smith & Co are only marginally worse than McCoy.