PS4, PS+ and online play

NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't have an issue with Sony requiring PS+ for online play particularly.

Do we know how this will work for multiple accounts on the same machine though?

i.e. are we going to have buy a + sub for each user in household who wants to play online?

Not sure how this works on the xbox etc.

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It used to work like that on 360 but they've changed it to one payment per console now for x1. Ps4 better also be this way.
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed. I wouldn't mind paying a touch more for a multiple sign in account - but having to buy multiple accounts would suck.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its unlikely to be multiple accounts as would be pointless over the whole giving games side of things. However until they say we are only guessing of course. If it was to be multiple then MS win on that score plus we as a family WILL be sharing as I wouldnt pay multiple times.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see how this works out on PS4. Currently a lot of PS+ stuff can be used on multiple accounts on the same PS3 so hopefully that will continue on PS4 including online play.

I play a lot of PS+ games when i'm just checking them out on another PSN account as I don't want to add the trophy list to my main account for games I may only play for 30minutes.
  • stokesy_9stokesy_9 Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    quick noob questions.., my ps3 psn+ membership is going to expire soon, if i renew on my ps3, does it automatically mean it carries onto the ps4?

and if i buy a psn card, can i use this on my ps4 to buy stuff?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stokesy_9 wrote: »
    quick noob questions.., my ps3 psn+ membership is going to expire soon, if i renew on my ps3, does it automatically mean it carries onto the ps4?

PS+ will carry over from PS3 to PS4. A PS+ sub covers PS3, PS4 and PS Vita. Sony showed this at E3.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o564/ryanw30/psplus_zpse8696c66.jpg
  • stokesy_9stokesy_9 Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    PS+ will carry over from PS3 to PS4. A PS+ sub covers PS3, PS4 and PS Vita. Sony showed this at E3.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o564/ryanw30/psplus_zpse8696c66.jpg

nice one, thanks!
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I know PS Plus is a great service and i've been a subscriber for the last year. It's much better than what Xbox Live offers. And i like the fact that netflix or other media services are not behind the paywall. But the fact that Online gameplay now comes under PS Plus is a bit annoying. Sony really need to justify it by announcing something like dedicated servers or saying gaikai streaming is covered by it.

But even then the automatic updates being behind a paywall is stupid. That shouldn't be a paid feature. Automatic updates is free on every system from PC to Android to Xbox One.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Turns out i was wrong. The auto updates won't be behind a paywall. I'm a bit happier now.
  • claymore74claymore74 Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Turns out i was wrong. The auto updates won't be behind a paywall. I'm a bit happier now.

Yeah. I think when PS+ first came out (without the igc), automatic updates were probably included as part of it to try and justify what you had to pay for it. Imo PS+ was ok when it launched, but i didn't renew when my first sub ended as it wasn't worth it to me - then they added igc and totally transformed the service into something of exceptional value, leaving automatic updates as part of it just because it was there to begin with.

Taking it out of PS+ and making it part of the free offering on PS4 seems like another sensible move by Sony.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Are you guys not sure you read it wrong? The Automatic Updates refers to the feature of the PS3 where Plus updates Games and stuff automatically. The Plus Features list was covering all the platforms with PS4 at the end (regarding Multiplayer).
  • claymore74claymore74 Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Are you guys not sure you read it wrong? The Automatic Updates refers to the feature of the PS3 where Plus updates Games and stuff automatically. The Plus Features list was covering all the platforms with PS4 at the end (regarding Multiplayer).

I don't think so - article on DS today has a quote:

"Things like auto-updates on PS4 sit outside of PlayStation Plus, so we're trying to be as balanced and as fair as we possibly can."

I know the PS+ sub will cover all 3 platforms, but whether the above means that auto-updates will become free on PS3 as well as PS4 is another question - but it suggests to me that on PS4 at least, you'll get it without a PS+ sub.

I'm not that bothered personally (I'm subbed up to March 2015 - using various offers 28 months worked out at £56), but I can see it being an issue for those that don't play mp.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am hoping MMOs can sit outside the gate but I guess that is probably too much to ask. I probably wouldnt bother getting PS+ otherwise, never had it on PS3 and only rarely played online.

I do plan to play FFXIV on PS3 and probably will upgrade to the PS4 edition when its out so I guess I'll have to see then. But if the price stays around £40 a year its hardly going to break the bank and it seems like you get really good value for money. But if they do some deal with MMO publishers whereby they get a cut of subs or something and so let subscription gaming sit outside PS+ then I wont join.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am hoping MMOs can sit outside the gate but I guess that is probably too much to ask. I probably wouldnt bother getting PS+ otherwise, never had it on PS3 and only rarely played online.

I do plan to play FFXIV on PS3 and probably will upgrade to the PS4 edition when its out so I guess I'll have to see then. But if the price stays around £40 a year its hardly going to break the bank and it seems like you get really good value for money. But if they do some deal with MMO publishers whereby they get a cut of subs or something and so let subscription gaming sit outside PS+ then I wont join.
    Free to play games can sit outside the gate.

So the two at launch, DC Universe and Planetside 2 are free to play without a sub.

In addition cross-game-chat, automatic system updates (but not automatic game patches) and media services like Netflix also do not require a subscription.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JvGezGA_-c

Also mentions launch will have Driveclub and an additional digital title for subscribers.