Options

BT's automatically renewing contract

I don't feel like I've been misled but I would like to make people aware of BT's procedure with their 12 month automatically renewing contract.

Here's a snippet from the letter I received when I signed up their Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan in August 2008.
At the end of each minimum period of 12 months, unless you tell us you do not wish to continue, your contract for this deal will be automatically renewed for a further 12 months (commencing on expiry of the previous minimum period) and you'll continue to benefit from UK Evening and Weekend calls at no extra cost for another year. If you do not wish to renew you must let us know before the renewal date. We will write to you nearer the time to remind you that the end of your minimum period is approaching and letting you know what to do. If you do not wish to renew your contract, you will be charged the normal price for Unlimited Evening & Weekend plan, currently £2.70 (inc. vat) per month plus line rental.

As I just switched to PlusNet for my calls and broadband, BT have informed me my termination fee will be the best part of £70. At first I was horrified but when I found the letter containing the above quote in my file, it was there in black and white, so I can't complain about being misled. It is, however, slightly unorthodox. Basically, if you fail to inform BT you don't wish to renew your contract, they will renew it automatically for another 12 months and will charge you if you cancel within this 12 month period.

I made the mistake of assuming because I'd had my contract for around 16 months, I was out of a minimum 12 month contract and could transfer to another provider without incurring costs. Should have read my literature.

Just wanted to make people aware of this if they are thinking of switching to BT. I'm not aware of other providers doing this.

Comments

• Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads-up, cursor :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And just to add that when I phoned to cancel the unlimited weekend and evening calls as soon as I received the letter in April.

I was told I could not cancel until the day the 12 month period ended as I would end up paying for the final month.

Think I phoned the day before and didn't have any problems and I've signed up to it again a few days ago as I need BT for my O2 anyway and they'll run out about the same time if I decide to go elsewhere.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, Ajay :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cursor wrote: »
    "We will write to you nearer the time to remind you that the end of your minimum period is approaching and letting you know what to do."
    I wonder how much notice they give? My contract is due to auto renew on 20 January, and not a whisper from BT so far. :confused:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bubbsy wrote: »
    I wonder how much notice they give? My contract is due to auto renew on 20 January, and not a whisper from BT so far. :confused:

I got approx 3 weeks notice but you have to remember to phone on or just before (unless they've changed it since April) the renewal date if your going to cancel it.
  • Options
    BT SupportBT Support Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Hi Bubbsy,

You will be sent a letter one month before the end of your renewable contract commitment date.

Hope this helps guys

Cheers

Craig
    BT Support
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How we laughed in our household when we got the warning letter that we were about to be restart another 12 month contract. Late January we are going to drop BT because they are too expensive, their bills are designed to confuse and the companys pushy attitude stinks.

No telecoms company is perfect but BT stink :mad:

And dont get me started on the soon to be increased costs to customers of all telecoms providers because some numbty at BT started spending money from the pension pot.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/dec/01/bt-price-review-angers-bskyb

So as well as paying Gordons massive debt we have to fill BTs £6.8bn hole.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cursor wrote: »
    BT have informed me my termination fee will be the best part of £70.
    Funnily enough, after saying yesterday that I hadn't heard a word from BT, I got my renewal letter today (just over 6 weeks notice). :) It says termination fee is £7.50 (for Weekend & Evening/Weekend plans) or £8 (for Anytime plan) for each month left of the minimum term. That's pretty reasonable actually. Most providers charge the equivalent of a full monthly payment x period left if you cancel within contract.