So that means that during one of her many lives Clara was a...

claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
Forum Member
✭✭
Time Lady ;)

Now THAT'S an interesting concept!

Comments

• Gary of BeestonGary of Beeston Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it means she was on Gallifrey to prompt him to take the 'correct' TARDIS. No suggestion she's a Time Lord/Lady at all, she's merely inserted herself into his narrative.

As the actress said to the Bishop.

Gary
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it means she was on Gallifrey to prompt him to take the 'correct' TARDIS. No suggestion she's a Time Lord/Lady at all, she's merely inserted herself into his narrative.

Gary

I wouldn't be too sure about that, Dalek Clara and Victorian Clara both had lives away from the Doctor, so why wouldn't Timelady Clara?
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gary

It was made very clear that she was BORN over and over again - we saw one of them with baby Victorian Clara, she's says that she's born, she lives and she dies - and lived her life to find the Doctor and help him, even if she didn't really know it. The only way she could be on Gallifrey is if that particular part of Clara was born there.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords though, so she still isn't necessarily a Time Lady.
  • Gary of BeestonGary of Beeston Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not being a Time Person would stop a few obvious questions arising... such as, does she become the Doctor's mum? Nudging Wilf to pack his pistol (fnarr) did sort-of save his life in the End of Time. And did she later regenerate? Or become the R**i?

We can definitely say she isn't Susan, as we see Susan precede Doc1 into the 'wrong' TARDIS. :D

But: if Clara was there to undo everything the GI was doing: then if Clara's a Time Lady, the GI would be a Time Lord, by extension...

Gary
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    It was made very clear that she was BORN over and over again - we saw one of them with baby Victorian Clara, she's says that she's born, she lives and she dies - and lived her life to find the Doctor and help him, even if she didn't really know it. The only way she could be on Gallifrey is if that particular part of Clara was born there.

Not necessarily. Leela ended up living on Gallifrey. It's not unheard of for other aliens to visit and/or settle there (in the audios they were admitting other races to their schools, if I remember correctly).

A Clara echo could either have travelled to Gallifrey in a spaceship or even been picked up from another time period by a TARDIS traveller (for some unspecified reason - perhaps he fell in love :D ).
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was also following Four on Gallifrey as well...

I think, the clip was from The Invasion of Time anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Not all Gallifreyans are Time Lords though, so she still isn't necessarily a Time Lady.

Wasn't it explained that once a year, every citizen of Gallifrey would venture out to the tear in the fabric of time and stare into it?

Which is the passage of rite for the time lords/ladies.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    S'funny, for once I almost guessed how it was going to turn out.

I had my money on the TARDIS splintering Clara through time to help the Doctor battle with the GI.

After TBOSJ I was utterly convinced it was gonna turn out this way but the start of TROA kinda confused me.
    I mean, if Clara was actually born in 1989 (or whatever), had parents and grew up on Earth then it obviously means that she wasn't just "beamed in" to do something.
    I guess we're just supposed to accept that the whole thing was more fundamental than that though.
    Clara was actually "seeded" through time so she'd grow up and go on to be in a place where she could help the Doctor.

Regarding the Clara on Gallifrey, maybe I'm showing my ignorance here (cos I know it was supposed to be an insular society) but there's no guarantee that Clara was actually a native of Gallifrey.
    For all we know she could have been a human who ended up there specifically to help the Doctor.

The odd part is that clearly Clara1 knew her job was to steer Doctor1 toward a particular TARDIS whereas the Clara in AOTD helped the Doctor by monkeying around with the Daleks computers without, apparently, knowing she was helping the Doctor and we had pretty-much the same situation in The Snowmen.

Course, I suppose that could be explained by suggesting that the Clara's were all being evasive as to the purpose of their tasks.

Seems like there's a wealth of fan-fiction and extended-universe stuff that could be written about the adventures of the Clara's.
    Shame it was all cut down to a blurry 10-second montage on screen.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Leela ended up living on Gallifrey. It's not unheard of for other aliens to visit and/or settle there (in the audios they were admitting other races to their schools, if I remember correctly).
    I think I'm right in saying that that was a much later change to Gallifreyan society, possibly as a result of the Doctor's influence. I think, originally, that outsiders weren't allowed.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I think I'm right in saying that that was a much later change to Gallifreyan society, possibly as a result of the Doctor's influence. I think, originally, that outsiders weren't allowed.

Think so too. It certainly makes more sense of the Doctor's reasons for leaving if among them were a desire to escape a claustrophobic and insular society. Clara was Gallifreyan in at least one of her lives as far as I'm concerned. Although the whole Clara reborn thing is bonkers if you think about it too literally. I'm filing it away in "Somehow this stuff just happened".
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member

Possibly Clara wasn't allowed but managed to sneak in anyway. She's a resourceful girl, you know :D
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member

You are totally correct
  • dhdefenderdhdefender Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Not being a Time Person would stop a few obvious questions arising... such as, does she become the Doctor's mum? Nudging Wilf to pack his pistol (fnarr) did sort-of save his life in the End of Time. And did she later regenerate? Or become the R**i?

We can definitely say she isn't Susan, as we see Susan precede Doc1 into the 'wrong' TARDIS. :D

But: if Clara was there to undo everything the GI was doing: then if Clara's a Time Lady, the GI would be a Time Lord, by extension...

Gary

Yes, I think the Souffle Girl of Gallifrey could well be the sombre old lady in the End of Time played by Claire Bloom. So that character wouldn't be the Doctors Mother after all.
    But as the whole question about her identity was left deliberately vague, we are free to speculate.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At the end of The Hand of Fear, the Doctor is summoned to Gallifrey and is unable to take Sarah Jane. In School Reunion, he tells her that they didn't allow humans at that time, with the inference being that at other times that rule didn't exist. So I'd say you're right.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Was meant to happen to Ace in season 27 in 1990 too.