Options

Contacting BBC Local Radio

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    You could. But don't expect an answer as BBC London left there nearly a year ago.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    You could. But don't expect an answer as BBC London left there nearly a year ago.

Erm yes... good point that :D

Having said that, they will be temporarily at TVC in the autumn whilse safety tests are carried out at Broadcasting House. So 0208 743 8000 might well be the best number!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Dr Bobbins wrote: »
    Really? Do you feel that your opinion isn't worth 12p? Did you never used to call them on their 0532 phone number back in the day? Or send a letter with, god forbid, a stamp on it?

12p eh... And don't tell me it's the principle of it. Why should non-texting license fee payers subsidise your texts?

Not the point for me. Firstly, interaction is key to the radio programmes, and reducing it is bad. Are you saying that listening to those texts doesn't add enjoyment to a programme? Looking at the numbers above, the cost to the BBC PER TEXT would be vastly less than the sum of the individual costs to the texters.
    Why couldn't they go to one 07 number nationally, and collate and disseminate the texts? Why should I lose one of the benefits of having an inclusive package?
    Worse, some local radio stations use an 0800 number for traffic reports. Great - it's free from your home phone (where you have no idea what the traffic is like) and is at least network standard cost from your mobile (where surprisingly you are hands free and able to report on the traffic). AND it costs the local radio station.
    Conclusion: get rid of 0800, change all to any standard landline.
  • Options
    Germany boundGermany bound Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed on Tuesday morning News 24,is a text number only
    service the mobile number has gone missing!
  • Options
    chunkymagmonkeychunkymagmonkey Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nathan wrote: »
    Cheaper for them, more cost to the listener who can't use their inclusive texts. It's time ofcom defined a shortcode range that should be charged as inclusive texts.

I contacted the BBC to complain about proposed change affecting BBC Radio Newcastle and got the following reply:

"Thanks for your e-mail.

There are plans to introduce generic 5 figure numbers across BBC local radio (rather than the current 11 figure number), for which you will only be charged your operator's standard SMS charge. The BBC will not receive any payment through using this new number.

This is in order to make the number easier to remember and to bring local radio into line with BBC network services. However, even though you have received that reply, there is no date set at the moment for this change at BBC Newcastle."

At the present time I pay 10 pence per text, so does it mean, that is all I will pay, or will it cost me 25 pence to send the text, which happens if I send one to Real Radio? The big draw back is that I have a "text package" with my pay as you go phone and I suspect that it will not be able to use it when sending texts to Radio Newcastle. :cry:
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC LR shortcode number is charged at your standard network rate. However it may not come out of text bundles which the current long number does.
  • Options
    Germany boundGermany bound Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish I could say what I presume most of us know is happening at our BBC.

For those who have text bundles package,
    it does not cost anything to send a text as part of your bundle.

BBC do not get any money out of you sending this text to them

You use the five digit code which cost's you money and surprise surprise the BBC don't benefit from this 10 to 25 pence charge on sending this five digit short code

So whose pocket/s does this 10 to 25 pence charge end up in?
    I presume just your mobile phone providers pockets.
    It would not end up in any one else pockets would it?

As regards to being easier remember,if you are texting from your own mobile phone,would all your important phone numbers be stored in your mobile phone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At the present time I pay 10 pence per text, so does it mean, that is all I will pay, or will it cost me 25 pence to send the text, which happens if I send one to Real Radio?

It will cost you 10p. Real Radio are allowed to make/share profits out of phone/text numbers, the BBC is not.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    Apart from the studio number, is there any other phone number outside the studio to contact BBC London 94.9?

*sings* "four eight six double-seven double-four"
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio Leeds has now moved over to using the text shortcode, but there has been a distinct lack of forward planning.

A few weeks ago Radio Leeds started using the BBC corporate Local Radio jingle package with a travel 'out' that has a nice professional voiceover artist "Share your travel news - Text 07786 202 924"

Now they've had to bodge it and re-record it using the voice of one of the newsreaders! "Share your travel news - Text 81333 start your message with the word Leeds"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Radio Leeds has now moved over to using the text shortcode, but there has been a distinct lack of forward planning.

A few weeks ago Radio Leeds started using the BBC corporate Local Radio jingle package with a travel 'out' that has a nice professional voiceover artist "Share your travel news - Text 07786 202 924"

Now they've had to bodge it and re-record it using the voice of one of the newsreaders! "Share your travel news - Text 81333 start your message with the word Leeds"

Shock horror. Maybe their voiceover person wasn't available that day - perhaps they'll re-record it when they are....
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »

An exception is on Diana Luke's 60s show on a Saturday night. She advises us to start out text with "Diana", probably because the show also goes out on BBC Radio Sheffield and, I think, York.
  • Options
    SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ditto Shourjo Sarker's late show, where you have to start the message with SARKER

Good point about the travel out now sounding crap - I get the feeling this might be a sudden change, as it's not long since they got the new jinges.

And yes, it would be nice if 0800 854833 for travel news got changed to an 03700 so it doesn't cost a ridiculous amount to call from mobiles
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Keith Skues had major problems on Suday night during his show he was told that the short code for him was Skuesy to 81133, but it kept being bounced back until listeners worked out it was spelt without an E
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do wonder what happens if you are texting in that York Road is closed in Leeds but forget the prefix

Instead of the text reaching Radio Leeds, Radio York will get a text saying that "Road is closed" :D
  • Options
    missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    its pointless sending a text to bbc radio as they only read out the ones that say great show vanessa, loving your work eddie, i know that bus robert. the only person i have ever heard on radio who reads everything out, even the ones that show his vast knowledge to be a little wrong is big george on london over nights.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    missmaisie wrote: »
    its pointless sending a text to bbc radio as they only read out the ones that say great show vanessa, loving your work eddie, i know that bus robert. the only person i have ever heard on radio who reads everything out, even the ones that show his vast knowledge to be a little wrong is big george on london over nights.

Can you give an example of the texts you're sending so we can judge them.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC London 94.9 are also using the 81333 code,you have to start texts with the word London.
    Nathan wrote: »
    B) Once you have texted the radio station using the keyword "radio", the system remembers your telephone number and will automatically default to our inbox even if you forget to use the keyword. We will be explaining this as part of our communication as the new number is taken up by our texters. Likewise, if you text the old number, a return text will inform the user about the new procedures.

So assuming BBC London 94.9 works the same way,if you were to text BBC Sussex correctly,then text BBC London correctly,and then send a text without the prefix,which station would the third message go to??
  • Options
    NathanNathan Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    BBC London 94.9 are also using the 81333 code,you have to start texts with the word London.

So assuming BBC London 94.9 works the same way,if you were to text BBC Sussex correctly,then text BBC London correctly,and then send a text without the prefix,which station would the third message go to??

That's what i wanted to know!
    also how come BBC Sussex and Surrey got the keyword "Radio" ? was it because they were first to the party?

Originally the website said to use the keyword "SAS" but when I pointed this out to them they said it was in error and updated it to show "RADIO".