"Appalling" is not spelled with a "u"!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When people have to end a sentence with like.
    Yeah I went out to the pub like.
    Its one of those like.

However. If i was to put this in a list of the worlds problems. It would probably feature somewhere around 192,158 place. Tho the problem of "I get crumbs in my butter" is threatening to knock it off its spot.

Yawn next thread please.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noone shud bee to bovered bout spellin if yo can nderstnd it.

Actually - that's bullshit, all of the above really get my goat.

Edit - I think I'm bothered about spelling because I have worked so hard to get mine right. I occasionally slip up but at least I try, unlike some people who are just do it to wind me up ;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Noone shud bee to bovered bout spellin if yo can nderstnd it.

Actually - that's bullshit, all of the above really get my goat.

Edit - I think I'm bothered about spelling because I have worked so hard to get mine right. I occasionally slip up but at least I try, unlike some people who are just do it to wind me up ;):D

Aye its lazyness sometimes. I got a friend, and she always types in really terrible txt speak, and I have to ask her to reword it. But she can actually type perfectly well when she wants to.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Too' instead of 'to'.

Also, another one which seems to have appeared recently - the word 'were' being spelt 'where'. That stops me in my tracks, as I have to tell my brain that the author doesn't mean 'where' but 'were'. This is why it matters - it takes longer to read a word which is incorrectly written, particularly when the incorrect version is a proper word with a different meaning.

Both the examples I have given are instances where the incorrect word is longer than the correct one, so it is not a case of the poster thinking it is OK to abbreviate, as is sometimes suggested.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definately.

I used to be an English teacher and that was one that came up again and again. And "should of". And there / their / they're.

I could go on, but it'll just get me annoyed :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend on Facebook is known as "Name xxxxx 'formally' xxxxxx" :rolleyes:
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tischlampe wrote: »
    A friend on Facebook is known as "Name xxxxx 'formally' xxxxxx" :rolleyes:

Oooh. Well, it's useful to know what to call them when they feel like being formal :)
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    'Too' instead of 'to'.

Also, another one which seems to have appeared recently - the word 'were' being spelt 'where'. That stops me in my tracks, as I have to tell my brain that the author doesn't mean 'where' but 'were'. This is why it matters - it takes longer to read a word which is incorrectly written, particularly when the incorrect version is a proper word with a different meaning.

Both the examples I have given are instances where the incorrect word is longer than the correct one, so it is not a case of the poster thinking it is OK to abbreviate, as is sometimes suggested.

I HATE that one! The thing is, why is it so difficult?

I am going to Morrisons. Waitrose is too expensive.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rediculous. Very few bother me, but that one does. Probably because an ex-friend frequently used it to slag off other people or as a put-down, and that was how she pronounced it.
  • HendersonHenderson Posts: 11,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A thread about spelling, and no sign of Moany Liza yet?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I see 'noone' I pronounce it in my head as in Peter Noone of Herman's Hermits and see if the sentence is funny or not.....................:D
  • Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definately.

I used to be an English teacher and that was one that came up again and again. And "should of". And there / their / they're.

But it's definitely... :cry:
  • FritzFritz Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    'are' instead of 'our'. "Are TV is broken". What's that all about?

The other one that winds me up is when people tell me to put something in my 'draw'. It's a drawer, not a draw!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definately.

I can see why you're not anymore!! :D
  • LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is slightly different since it's not a spelling mistake per se, and I'm sure someone has probably said this already but "damp squid."

I f**king loathe that phrase. Sometimes people say it as a joke, knowing that it's wrong, but more often than not, they're being completely serious.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,527
    Forum Member
    Henderson wrote: »

Any more. Excepting American English. Mostly. ;)
  • kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    One of my Facebook friends writes the word 'no' when she means know, this sometimes makes her post hard to decipher. She also uses yer instead of you quite frequently, it has the same number of letters so why not spell it correctly.
    Overall bad spelling does not bother me as I am not that great myself but text speak is annoying when written in posts or emails or whole paragraphs with no capital letters or punctuation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know these have been mentioned before but what annoys me the most -

Mixing up you're/your, they're/there/their etc.
    Also lose and loose.

It's not that hard!
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definately.

But it's definitely... :cry:

I got it, Shobeedowah! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    I got it, Shobeedowah! :D

Ah, I was hoping for a bite!!
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, I was hoping for a bite!!

:( I feel so used!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just people online. A few years ago, when I renewed my passport, one of the questions on the form was: "Where you born abroad?"
    You would think that such a form would have to go through half a dozen pairs of hands between the person doing the initial draft and the printers. I suppose they just run a spellcheck on it, and if all the words really exist, then they think that's good enough.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And saying somebody is phased or not phased by something - it is FAZED:rolleyes:
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    QTC13 wrote: »
    I'm not fussed by people making spelling mistakes. So long as the message is clear and you're understood, so what.

I'm more bothered by people pointing out mistakes made by others. As if it makes them somehow superior. Funny when they make mistakes themselves when pointing out these mistakes:rolleyes:

I'll bite. What you're saying, in effect, is that we should be tolerant of errors. Fair enough, but the unintended consequence will be that errors will accumulate, such that we will eventually not be able to understand each other.

So I make no apologies at all for pointing out mistakes, because indulging personal idiosyncrasies leads to mutual confusion.

That said, of course I don't approve of nit-picking, but stressing one's dislike of petty behaviour is a misplaced priority.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On saying the wrong words, but somehow they're so right :)

On Facebook, a friend of mine was posting about what a busy she'd had and all the things she'd done. She said, "I get more of a restbite at work than I do at home."

:D