2013 Classic Series DVD releases.

Comments

• davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I've started posting my dvd covers on a blog for easy reference. I have completed and posted my second cover, for The Abominable Snowmen. It isn't great, but as I don't have photoshop, it's the best I can do.

http://dwdvds.blogspot.co.uk/p/dvd-covers.html
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jethryk wrote: »
    Well my K9 and Company is in between Logopolis and Castrovalva.

The Lost in Time DVD's are after The War Games.

Same here.

Davros, I like your covers and would probably use them for my recon collection but for the fact that I keep the discs without the covers to save space. :)
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Same here.

Davros, I like your covers and would probably use them for my recon collection but for the fact that I keep the discs without the covers to save space. :)

Why don't you get one of those "smaller on the outside" houses for more cupboard space?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Why don't you get one of those "smaller on the outside" houses for more cupboard space?

I did! That's where I throw the covers and it's full now.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fingers still crossed for an announcement this year about more recovered episodes.

I think there is something secret going on - whether its a story, episode or loads of clips found I guess we can only wait and see.
    I'm suspitious about the Ice Warriors now because the VHS recon of episodes 2 and 3 are listed as extras. Could this mean they have found episode 2 and 3? I mean surely we would have heard about any amination by now (plus if you are going to start animation why begin with Reign of Terror when you could do Ice Warriors which is more popular?

I thgink after getting animation for Reign it would be a disappointment to get nothing on Ice Warriors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    I think there is something secret going on - whether its a story, episode or loads of clips found I guess we can only wait and see.
    I'm suspitious about the Ice Warriors now because the VHS recon of episodes 2 and 3 are listed as extras. Could this mean they have found episode 2 and 3? I mean surely we would have heard about any amination by now (plus if you are going to start animation why begin with Reign of Terror when you could do Ice Warriors which is more popular?

I thgink after getting animation for Reign it would be a disappointment to get nothing on Ice Warriors.

Personally, I found the Reign animation disappointing itself. Had to turn it off after just a few minutes. They seemed to be throwing in facial movements at random, not in a meaningful or expressive way but for their own sake, like some CGI version of a Tim Hunkin robot. They say an animator has to be an actor, and these animators either were lousy actors or didn't even try. They left it to the computer to make the people look alive and it just made them look ridiculous.

Anyway, rant over. It would be brilliant if they found the missing Ice Warriors episodes.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I found the Reign animation disappointing itself. Had to turn it off after just a few minutes. They seemed to be throwing in facial movements at random, not in a meaningful or expressive way but for their own sake, like some CGI version of a Tim Hunkin robot. They say an animator has to be an actor, and these animators either were lousy actors or didn't even try. They left it to the computer to make the people look alive and it just made them look ridiculous.

Anyway, rant over. It would be brilliant if they found the missing Ice Warriors episodes.

I agree in a way but I do think it improved as they went along. Even DWM was critical of the animation but I guess its better than listening to a blank screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree in a way but I do think it improved as they went along. Even DWM was critical of the animation but I guess its better than listening to a blank screen.

Agreed, but I'll stick with my Loose Cannon for now. :)
  • Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the reign of terror animation wasn't as bad as people make out, i mean don't get me wrong. the invasion is defiantly better, but it wasn't that bad. One thing i will say is that i noticed to audio on the animated episodes was poor as it sounded very muffled.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,056
    Forum Member
    Sorry, being lazy . . when's Zygon out?
    Forum Member
    June IIRC
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,056
    Forum Member
    June IIRC

Thank you!
    Forum Member
    No problem :)
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I doubt that they would include the VHS recons if the full episodes were on the disc.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For DWM read Gary Gillat, who is well known for slagging off anybody trying something original, e.g. he moaned about the "Day of the Daleks" remix, despite the original being available. He called the "Reign" animation a failure, which it clearly wasn't, since it made Episode 6 make sense, which it never did on the VHS. Having said that I do agree the animation was a disappointment and six years later than "The Invasion" was worse!
    Forum Member
    Why was the animation disappointing?! I thought it was beautiful! Of course, the movement jarred a little with me, but it did so in the same way that the Invasion's animation jarred with me; the movement was surreal, which is no surprise since it's animation and not real.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    I have to say that I was a little disappointed by the animation as well, although I was too scared to say so before as everyone seemed so excited by it.

I thought the backgrounds and scenery was beautiful but some of the character animations looked a little odd. I found the teeth and eyes quite distracting for some reason and some of the shots of William Hartnell's face looked quite odd.

It just didn't seem quite as good as the animation for The Invasion, but I do appreciate that the animation used for the that was a one off, rather expensive method that just wasn't cost effective so I'm happy to live with the compromise it if means that we will get more animated recons and It would also be great to get some behind the scenes doco's about the animation on future releases.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    What I find most strange about the release date of the Ice Warriors is:
    That they don't seem to be timing it to coincide with their return in the new series, you would have thought they would want to capitalise on this. So I can only assume they are doing "something" behind the scenes otherwise they would put more effort into releasing it sooner.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was pleased to have the animation, but the Doctor did look like Gollum in some shots. His eyes were too big, in my 'umble opinion
    Forum Member
    I totally read that post in Uriah Heap's voice (David Copperfield, 2000 film adaptation, Sally Field was in it) -- no?

I'll get my coat :o
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally read that post in Uriah Heap's voice (David Copperfield, 2000 film adaptation, Sally Field was in it) -- no?

I'll get my coat :o

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does anyone know where i can watch a evil of the daleks recon?
    Forum Member
    There are a couple on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-3mKA6q-8c

I listened to it again recently. Briliant story :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are a couple on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-3mKA6q-8c

I listened to it again recently. Briliant story :D

thanks dude:D although the person only put up the 1st 4 episodes :(
    Forum Member
    darn. There's a recon of episode 7 out there, using all the youtube animation sequences and clips made by fans (some clips are better quality than others!) -- but it shows what would happen if fans animated a little bit of an ep each :)