Options

Doc Martin (Part 16 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - we are now halfway into S6 and I really don't see any kind of a rift between M & L. I rewatched the latest episode last night and really concentrated on their interactions. They seem fine to me. When Louisa was urging Martin to take James to storytime it seemed like they had developed a shorthand where he knows when she is pushing him to be a better father and husband. He knows that he needs her help to learn these things ("You could learn." "Yes, I could.") The other scenes between them really had an intimacy in my opinion. Especially when she peeked her head in the door to tell him dinner was almost ready. The tone of her voice was really sweet and then she gave him a dazzling smile.

Nope, I think (relationship-wise) everything is fine in the Ellingham house. Louisa seems to have settled into work-home and Mike taking care of the baby. Martin is starting to develop problems, but it seems to me not at all related to the state of his relationship with Louisa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Can't resist remarking that Fifty Shades of Gray started out as fanfic (I think). Fan of what, I don't know.

It was fan fic of "twilight" and then a self published ebook.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    OK - we are now halfway into S6 and I really don't see any kind of a rift between M & L. I rewatched the latest episode last night and really concentrated on their interactions. They seem fine to me. When Louisa was urging Martin to take James to storytime it seemed like they had developed a shorthand where he knows when she is pushing him to be a better father and husband. He knows that he needs her help to learn these things ("You could learn." "Yes, I could.") The other scenes between them really had an intimacy in my opinion. Especially when she peeked her head in the door to tell him dinner was almost ready. The tone of her voice was really sweet and then she gave him a dazzling smile.

Nope, I think (relationship-wise) everything is fine in the Ellingham house. Louisa seems to have settled into work-home and Mike taking care of the baby. Martin is starting to develop problems, but it seems to me not at all related to the state of his relationship with Louisa.

Someone on FB remarked that Louisa seemed a good deal more confident in this series -- much more secure in her relationship with Martin. I was struck by that comment, which I think is largely true, and it parallels your post.

Just think --- we;ll know what they have in store for us in four more short weeks! (And then wait another two years.... for any resolution that might be needed:( )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone on FB remarked that Louisa seemed a good deal more confident in this series -- much more secure in her relationship with Martin. I was struck by that comment, which I think is largely true, and it parallels your post.

Just think --- we;ll know what they have in store for us in four more short weeks! (And then wait another two years.... for any resolution that might be needed:( )

I don't think they'll make us wait. I think (hope) it will be resolved in the last 2 mins of ep8. Imagine hoping for that when I'd be much happier with five minutes! :D:D:D

I refuse to entertain the worst case scenario. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I don't think they'll make us wait. I think (hope) it will be resolved in the last 2 mins of ep8. Imagine hoping for that when I'd be much happier with five minutes! :D:D:D

I refuse to entertain the worst case scenario. :rolleyes:

Good for you! I'm with you cookie!

I doubt it will end like "St. Elsewhere" where the entire show took place inside a snow-globe owned by an autistic child.

Rob
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Good for you! I'm with you cookie!

I doubt it will end like "St. Elsewhere" where the entire show took place inside a snow-globe owned by an autistic child.

Rob

Wasn't that lame? At least, I thought it was. Not worthy of the whole production which was quite innovative and well-done.

Or, we could have him coming out the shower in a London hospital (like Bobby in Dallas, after his supposed death) and realizing that the preceding 6 seasons had been a bad dream!

I will grant you that anything would be better than those gimmicks!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Or in Seinfield in which the 4 principal characters end up in jail

Or in The Sopranos when Tony's family ends up a diner

I can't wait to see how Breaking Bad ends tonight. If they go with the cliche, the meth lab explodes. If they go with the lameness, the character is cured of cancer and has to go back to teaching
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two weeks ago I got "Practice Makes Perfect." What a disappointment! I started reading it, then skimming, then opening to various points toward the end to peek at those pages. Essentially, it was a rehash of S1, but with some slight plot changes. Not accurate enough to be authentic and not different enough to be interesting. Hoping the Christmas book is something new - not a rehash of the S2 Christmas special. What were they thinking? :confused:

I just had a thought that maybe with the first book, they were going with the introduction of the characters, village, etc. just as they did in S1 for TV, but for the potential book audience that never has seen the show or had access to it. In essence, a start-up for a whole new audience of the printed word. And not necessarily intended for the fan base of the show (especially, us diehards! though they had to expect us to want to read them as well.) Hmmmm.......

I will be curious to see the second book's story and whether it will cover new ground or embroider some already unviewed territory in the Port Wenn time frame of the show. Just went and looked at the cover for it and LG has the Series 3 concert dress on, I believe. But that may not mean anything.....???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Or in Seinfield in which the 4 principal characters end up in jail

Or in The Sopranos when Tony's family ends up a diner

I can't wait to see how Breaking Bad ends tonight. If they go with the cliche, the meth lab explodes. If they go with the lameness, the character is cured of cancer and has to go back to teaching

Some of the best tv show endings I can think of were: Mary Tyler Moore, Newhart, and MASH. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Some of the best tv show endings I can think of were: Mary Tyler Moore, Newhart, and MASH. :)

If BP hadn't decided to go forward with S6, I think the Castle scene would have been the perfect way to end the series.

We could all have had our own fantasies about how they lived "ever after" -- widely different fantasies, I'm sure, but nonetheless quite satisfying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If BP hadn't decided to go forward with S6, I think the Castle scene would have been the perfect way to end the series.

We could all have had our own fantasies about how they lived "ever after" -- widely different fantasies, I'm sure, but nonetheless quite satisfying.[/QUOTE

I am sure the castle scene and that helicopter-shot ending sequence WERE intended as the finale, just in case the series did not go any further.

That will take some beating...when the time comes ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »

I agree completely. In episode 2 I was a bit worried, but otherwise I think they're doing fine. A few hiccups, naturally, but nothing to worry about.
    I also liked the way she respected his space when popping her head in to tell him dinner's ready. Also in episode 3 when she was worried about him in the last scene.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had a thought that maybe with the first book, they were going with the introduction of the characters, village, etc. just as they did in S1 for TV, but for the potential book audience that never has seen the show or had access to it. In essence, a start-up for a whole new audience of the printed word. And not necessarily intended for the fan base of the show (especially, us diehards! though they had to expect us to want to read them as well.) Hmmmm.......

I will be curious to see the second book's story and whether it will cover new ground or embroider some already unviewed territory in the Port Wenn time frame of the show. Just went and looked at the cover for it and LG has the Series 3 concert dress on, I believe. But that may not mean anything.....???

Yes, I figure that's what they're up to. It was essentially an outline of S1, with a few details changed. Someone (here or at FB, not sure) suggested maybe BP provided the original S1 scripts to author North and he based the book on them and that his instruction was to recap S1. Maybe originally it was written that Martin and Louisa would arrive by train, not by air, and that Louisa wasn't a Portwenn native, etc, etc, etc.

For people familiar with the show, it was just a boring rehash, missing the magic. I suppose for people unfamiliar with DM, it set the stage for whatever is to come. It does sound as if the second book will have a new plot. Hope so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    I agree completely. In episode 2 I was a bit worried, but otherwise I think they're doing fine. A few hiccups, naturally, but nothing to worry about.
    I also liked the way she respected his space when popping her head in to tell him dinner's ready. Also in episode 3 when she was worried about him in the last scene.

I agree. M and L seem to have a comfortable intimacy going on, with an occasional glitch, which is to be expected with these two. Things probably will get more iffy in the next couple of episodes as we watch Martin evolve deeper into his own problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Newhart! OMG! They brilliantly stole from the ridiculous dream and unreality plots of "Dallas" and "St. Elsewhere" and had people literally screaming with laughter. I sure did. It was pure genius.

St. Elsewhere was such a high quality show. The stupid finale infuriated me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There might be more I didn't get written down, but these did it for me:

LGE (to DM): "Mike will be here in about 15 minutes, well actually, he'll be here in exactly 15 minutes."

LGE (after looking at the video): "Good, now I won't need any breakfast."

DM (to James, about the video): "Concentrate."
    (I nominate this and the wording just before it for the best written and acted delivery of the ep.)

Mr. Moisey (to DM about the nosebleed): "I must apologize for coming to the doctor's with a medical condition."

DM (re the espresso filter): "Where's the-um filter basket?"
    LGE: "Filter basket, um?
    DM: "Silver cup, yay big, black handle, so long."
    LGE: "Over there with the carrots."
    DM: "What's it doing there?"
    DM: "Shiny, makes nice noise when you bang it on the table."
    (It took me a while to realize this referred to James using it as a play toy. If messing with Doc's espresso equipment isn't enough to drive Doc over the edge, what will?!! (Or maybe I'm just channeling my own town's coffee culture here!)

Tattoo patient #1: "I'll have a cup of tea while I'm waiting then."
    DM: "No she won't."

LGE (to DM): "I'm making a sauce with the anchovies, but I'm leaving out the anchovies."

Thanks for that, Susie. I had listened several times to Louisa's line about the sauce but never got the whole thing down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Thanks for that, Susie. I had listened several times to Louisa's line about the sauce but never got the whole thing down.

Oh, I just "got it." Louisa probably left the anchovies out because they're so salty! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, people: kindly posted by Leanne at FB spoilers page, and answers quite a lot of q's:

EPISODE 7! We know what happens to Louisa here http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep7week42/doc-martin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, people: kindly posted by Leanne at FB spoilers page, and answers quite a lot of q's:

EPISODE 7! We know what happens to Louisa here http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep7week42/doc-martin

Very interesting! Thanks, NewPark. And Leanne.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I just "got it." Louisa probably left the anchovies out because they're so salty! :rolleyes:

Thanks, ReneeBird. I thought about the saltiness of anchovies, bringing up a memory of the glasses of water I drank after having a pizza with them on a million years ago! But that didn't turn the light bulb on for me re salt in DM. Now I get it.

I have to admit I laughed at the line as CC originally delivered it, just because of her delivery. And probably because I, too, make things and find I'm missing an ingredient and just substitute or leave out, depending.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,298
    Forum Member
    In just in time for Doc Martin! Phew!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to remember someone saying something about Martin Clunes being unwell during this series. Can anyone tell me what was wrong because he looks dreadful tonight, drawn and thin in the face.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very disappointed with tonight's episode, we have only seen the doc for around three minutes and the programme is half way through:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The manny
    pity they are losing the manny. Do you think Margaret will stay on and fill in permanently? :D:D:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure where this series is going. V poor tonight so far. Penhale's escapade is ridiculous.

The whole episode seems flat and I'm not too keen on the Morwenna and Al storyline. Prefer to see him with Aunt Ruth! That would put some spice back into the show! :D

The Doc will never 'open up' to Louisa and I'm surprised that she's surprised he's keeping his fears to himself.
This discussion has been closed.