Are there any people on here who you think you would get on with in real life?

PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Generally, family aside, I am a solitary person who tends to avoid the company of other people. However, there are times when my withdrawn nature leads to bouts of melancholy loneliness and this is where DS is valuable. I can maintain my anonymous isolation whilst discussing topics that interest me.

During my time on DS I have conferred with many people who have similar interests / personalities / views as myself and i sometimes wistfully wonder what if I knew these people IRL. Could we be proper friends. (in reality we would probably fall out after 5 minutes).

Don't worry my fanciful friends, i'm not going to turn up on anyones doorstep carrying alcohol and snacks hoping for a night of carousing. I'm just trying to point out in my overly soppy way that I feel I relate to a lot of people on here (pretty obviously given the size of the forum and my choice where to post, I suppose).

Comments

• CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I dont think so, not when the general DS mentality is to

1. Select target for whatever reason, jealousy possibly.
    2. Post thread similar to said target, just to reel them in a bit
    3. Sit on target's original thread/post so that eventually they will see the words in front of them.
    4. Laugh heartily when said target repeats their previous post
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cosin wrote: »
    No, I dont think so, not when the general DS mentality is to

1. Select target for whatever reason, jealousy possibly.
    2. Post thread similar to said target, just to reel them in a bit
    3. Sit on target's original thread/post so that eventually they will see the words in front of them.
    4. Laugh heartily when said target repeats their previous post

I think these people are in the minority though.

I feel there are many 'good' people who post on here. However, I am a terrible judge of character (probably due to my lack of real friends).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »

I feel there are many 'good' people who post on here. However, I am a terrible judge of character (probably due to my lack of real friends).

It only takes one to ruin it for the rest.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think I would get on well with several folk on here.
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Yeah there are a few people on here who remind me of my RL friends, so I think I'd get on with them if we were to meet.

To be honest I probably wouldn't stray to far away from the personalitys I have around me in real life, as some views on here seem pretty extreme for various reasons.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes there are a few I think I'd probably get on well with.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally, family aside, I am a solitary person who tends to avoid the company of other people. However, there are times when my withdrawn nature leads to bouts of melancholy loneliness and this is where DS is valuable. I can maintain my anonymous isolation whilst discussing topics that interest me.

During my time on DS I have conferred with many people who have similar interests / personalities / views as myself and i sometimes wistfully wonder what if I knew these people IRL. Could we be proper friends. (in reality we would probably fall out after 5 minutes).

Don't worry my fanciful friends, i'm not going to turn up on anyones doorstep carrying alcohol and snacks hoping for a night of carousing. I'm just trying to point out in my overly soppy way that I feel I relate to a lot of people on here (pretty obviously given the size of the forum and my choice where to post, I suppose).

I like the sound of you Picto, you seem to be a kind and thoughtful person.
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I think I would get on very well with a few like minded people on here, especially on the Politics front ( most of the pro Tory ones are awful and I wouldn't converse with them on any level, nor them with me ).

But quite a few I would enjoy a pint with and a few females whom I would really enjoy their "craic" and banter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    I like the sound of you Picto, you seem to be a kind and thoughtful person.

Thank you.

I suppose it would be quite easy to invent a character on here though. However, you do tend to get a feeling for authenticity once you've been here for a while.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    Yes, there are a few I could appreciate IRL. Some who can make me giggle often, some whose views I share. Some can have many opposing views to mine but still convey underlying principles that I admire. Some less so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely. There are some lovely people on here. I don't post in social threads, but I do gradually get to recognise the all-round good eggs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think I would get on well with several folk on here.

Sometimes I get a sense of rapport between certain posters on here and often think they could be firm friends in real life. I get this sense with many posters in your case.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    You cannot really say, as you don't know what the person looks like or really what personality they have.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ya wee darlin' Picto.

You sound lovely and I'll be your friend if you want. xx

pm me x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But you're not denying that you know some of them
  • The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One or two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    You cannot really say, as you don't know what the person looks like or really what personality they have.

It's true that the anonymity of this forum could veil certain aspects of character but you tend to get a feel of a person on here (not literally). Looks wouldn't matter to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cosin wrote: »
    But you're not denying that you know some of them

I don't 'know' any of them but I am aware of what some posters do on here and i dislike this behaviour. Obviously I wouldn't want to be acquainted with these characters in real life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't 'know' any of them but I am aware of what some posters do on here and i dislike this behaviour. Obviously I wouldn't want to be acquainted with these characters in real life.

but you do on here. Riiight.. Maybe stick with the online stuff Picto. I've always thought you were ok, but you have associates that I dislike
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I'd get on with some IRL.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you.

I suppose it would be quite easy to invent a character on here though. However, you do tend to get a feeling for authenticity once you've been here for a while.

Some on here make me laugh so much, the tears run down my face, they are so funny with their wiitty replies and some bring me near to tears sometimes, when things aren't so good. I will admit I do come on here often, when I'm in dire need of a comfort blanket.
  • MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't really know people yet but there are some I've found really witty and come across as quite caring and warm people like booty, kitty and wonkey among others and benjamini (think I got that right?). Picto you seem really nice as well. Of course there are also some I wouldn't want to be in the same room as (and I'm sure they wouldn't with me either) but that's life I suppose :)
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe it's possible to tell. Someone is so much more than the particular words they choose to type on a forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In this thread alone there are 3 or 4 who I think I'd get on well with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaff wrote: »
    I don't believe it's possible to tell. Someone is so much more than the particular words they choose to type on a forum.

You can't be sure, but I think you can get a general idea.