Carphone Warehouse launching flexible 'iD' mobile network next month

bikerladbikerlad Posts: 1,582
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does the UK need another carrier? Carphone Warehouse seems to think so. It's been rumoured for months, but finally the company is ready to unveil its own mobile network. "iD" will arrive in May and, as expected, be powered by Three's network infrastructure. What makes it special? Well, the retailer says it's focusing on a few key benefits. The first is "controlled and capped plans," which it claims will be the cheapest on the market. It's also emphasising "flexible" 12-month contracts and 30-day SIM-only plans.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/22/carphone-warehouse-id-network/

Interesting that it has more free roaming countries than Feel At Home.

Comments

• swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what is happening to Talk Mobile?
  • hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bikerlad wrote: »
    Interesting that it has more free roaming countries than Feel At Home.

Hi

How is this possible?

Thanks

Baz
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    swb1964 wrote: »
    So what is happening to Talk Mobile?

They sold Talk Mobile I recall one of the sites more knowledgeable posters saying
    Forum Member
    Hi

How is this possible?

Thanks

Baz

Pretty simple.

They added another country to the nobroaming charges list.
  • hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sethpet wrote: »
    Pretty simple.

They added another country to the nobroaming charges list.

Hi

If they r using Three's infrastructure, why arent Three offering these additional countries to their own customers?

Thanks

Baz
  • DevilduckDevilduck Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Independent negotions with other networks?
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    That's quite a funny development, Three havent allowed CPW to sell their service for quite some time and now make them an MVNO.
  • M1kosM1kos Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just what I was thinking lol
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't get me into one of their shops never mind having a service from them.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I notice this seems to be a trend, Three last year really kicked off this off last year. Now you will find on Vodafones latest price plans Euro Traveller is now included as standard.

I wonder when O2 and EE are going to jump on the bandwagon?
  • bikerladbikerlad Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • planetf1planetf1 Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it just means next month there'll be another country in feel like home....
    Forum Member
    Hi

If they r using Three's infrastructure, why arent Three offering these additional countries to their own customers?

Thanks

Baz

They will have made their own commercial decision on what to give away.
    Basically the mvno is happier to give away margin
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No sign of priceplans yet, other than one that seems to have been mentioned in the press release - "12-month 4G plan with 300 mins, 5,000 texts and 1 GB data for £19.50". Seems rather expensive for very little.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    I was refreshingly impressed by CPW yesterday.

A lady was asking what the difference between the iPhone 5s and 5c was (the 5s being slightly better, not that you would really notice - also the contracts are more) and I expected the sales assistant to say that the 5S was better but he was quite honest and said not a lot.

Looks like they're improving.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    I was refreshingly impressed by CPW yesterday.

A lady was asking what the difference between the iPhone 5s and 5c was (the 5s being slightly better, not that you would really notice - also the contracts are more) and I expected the sales assistant to say that the 5S was better but he was quite honest and said not a lot.

Looks like they're improving.

They have to and their managers need to get peoples skills, because the one in ours did not. May have changed by now, it been a few years since I went in here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No sign of priceplans yet, other than one that seems to have been mentioned in the press release - "12-month 4G plan with 300 mins, 5,000 texts and 1 GB data for £19.50". Seems rather expensive for very little.

Depends what phone you are getting with it I suppose. I presume that isn't just a sim only deal :o:o
  • natbikenatbike Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    Depends what phone you are getting with it I suppose. I presume that isn't just a sim only deal :o:o

It includes a Samsung A3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    natbike wrote: »
    It includes a Samsung A3

It's not a dreadful deal, but it's not a killer, shout-it-from-the-rooftops opening deal either.

The same phone on O2 can be brought from CPW for £18.50 a month, with more minutes but only 500mb data, or for the same price on EE with the full 1gig of data, but with that deal you have to pay £30.00 upfront
  • Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Launching tomorrow.
    30 day sim only plan with unlimited data, 2000 minutes and 5000 texts for £20 sounds good, although I wonder what the tethering policies are.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

How is this possible?

Thanks

Baz

The text below suggests to me like the other countries are going to be within the EU/EEA, so it becomes possible simply because the wholesale costs are capped in all countries of the EU/EEA equally and that those wholesale costs are low enough for them to swallow.
    iD website wrote:
    You’ll find iD especially useful if you’d like to avoid nasty bill shocks, want more flexibility around managing your usage, and love the idea of using your phone in other European countries without racking up huge costs.

Three's "Feel At Home" uses specific deals in each country to offer the service, which means that Three can offer it in places all over the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denco1 wrote: »
    Launching tomorrow.
    30 day sim only plan with unlimited data, 2000 minutes and 5000 texts for £20 sounds good, although I wonder what the tethering policies are.

Is that three or four G?
  • Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both.
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    The text below suggests to me like the other countries are going to be within the EU/EEA, so it becomes possible simply because the wholesale costs are capped in all countries of the EU/EEA equally and that those wholesale costs are low enough for them to swallow.

Three's "Feel At Home" uses specific deals in each country to offer the service, which means that Three can offer it in places all over the world.
    It's actually a bit of a con as far as I can make out as Three's "Feel At Home" only offers data plus calls & texts to the UK out of the allowance. That's OK for data use & for keeping up with your busy UK social life but you could be in for a nasty surprise when the bill comes in If you actually use it for calling hotels, friends, restaurants etc & basically using the phone for all the normal things in the country you are visiting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denco1 wrote: »
    Both.

Yes that is a good deal then. Of course Giff Gaffs £20 deal is 3g only.