,AVI files on memory stick

I have many .avi files on my PC (running ubuntu linux). I have tried putting some onto a 4 Gb memory stick and plugging it into the Humax USB port, but they are not recognised.
Is there any way to convert them to another file type so that they can be watched?

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BobTh wrote: »
    I have many .avi files on my PC (running ubuntu linux). I have tried putting some onto a 4 Gb memory stick and plugging it into the Humax USB port, but they are not recognised.
    Is there any way to convert them to another file type so that they can be watched?

Not at the moment. The foxsat needs 2 other files (.nts,.hmt) to be present to play a transmission stream file. AFAIK no one has yet managed to create these
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the quick reply Graham, seems that for the moment I should keep the old HDD/DVD as well as the Humax.
    I just hope that if I buy a blu-ray player it will play .avi files.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BobTh wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply Graham, seems that for the moment I should keep the old HDD/DVD as well as the Humax.
    I just hope that if I buy a blu-ray player it will play .avi files.

What format are the AVi files. If 720 x 576 best plan is to run them through a mpeg2 encoder and burn them to DVD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I write them to a DVD-RW and can play them on the DVD player to the TV, I was just trying to make life easier by using a memory stick. Some of the files are 1080p from the video camera.