UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Europa League Quarter Final matches Chosen

All kick off at 20:05 in the UK

Wolfsburg v Napoli (not confirmed but must be ITV 4 as they choose 1st)

Dynamo Kiev v Fiorentina BT Sport 1

Club Brugge v Dnipro BT Sport 2
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming that ITV have 1st and 2nd pick: Will they show Sevilla v Zenit on another channel (or online)?
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    KarlHyde wrote: »
    Assuming that ITV have 1st and 2nd pick: Will they show Sevilla v Zenit on another channel (or online)?

Not unless its a British team.
    Id be surprised if they showed it on ITV.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judio wrote: »

Wolfsburg v Napoli (not confirmed but must be ITV 4 as they choose 1st)

Dynamo Kiev v Fiorentina BT Sport 1

Club Brugge v Dnipro BT Sport 2

Fiorentina v Dynamo Kiev ( ITV 4 )

Napoli v Wolfsburg BT Sport :o:o

Dnipro v Club Brugge ESPN
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have Sevilla or Zenit banned UK Broadcasters from showing them ???

What possible reason can BT have to pick a match that the home side is 4-1 ahead over
    Zenit v Sevilla which is 2 1 to the away side ???
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably ITV picked Zenit v Sevilla and are showing it on itv.com.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Presumably ITV picked Zenit v Sevilla and are showing it on itv.com.

To remove any semblance of doubt, the first leg of Sevilla v Zenit Saint Petersburg was shown live on ITV.com and towards the end of Thursday's ITV4 Europa League coverage, it was announced that the second leg of the tie will be shown on ITV.com as well. I'm sure they have shown secondary Europa League ties on ITV.com in the past, so this is nothing new or particularly surprising. I understand ITV have both the first and second picks, which explains why the two weaker-looking ties are on the BT Sport channels.
  • Options
    wal28wal28 Posts: 1,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what is really strange is that the Zenit game kicks off at 20.05 which I think is 23.05 local time. Of the game goes to extra-time on pens it's going to be past 02.00 am local time when that match finishes. That has to be some sort of record at least for a UEFA sanctioned tie (I seem to recall a Barca match kicking off at midnight once to make a point by the club). And in South America matches can kick off as late as 23.00 local time...but nevertheless beyond common sense...

My personal feeling is that it's a pity such a good game is being hidden away on an online basis only but then if ITV have the top 2 picks they aren't going to put one on ITV1 across prime-time...
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wal28 wrote: »
    I think what is really strange is that the Zenit game kicks off at 20.05 which I think is 23.05 local time. Of the game goes to extra-time on pens it's going to be past 02.00 am local time when that match finishes. That has to be some sort of record at least for a UEFA sanctioned tie (I seem to recall a Barca match kicking off at midnight once to make a point by the club). And in South America matches can kick off as late as 23.00 local time...but nevertheless beyond common sense...

My personal feeling is that it's a pity such a good game is being hidden away on an online basis only but then if ITV have the top 2 picks they aren't going to put one on ITV1 across prime-time...

The Man u v Chelsea champions league final which was played in Russia took place a strange time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what is really strange is that the Zenit game kicks off at 20.05 which I think is 23.05 local time.
    No, Putin has abolished daylight saving time, so Russia (the Moscow & Petersburg zone) is now only 2 hours ahead of BST, i.e. the game kicks off at 22:05 local time. This is the same time zone that Ukraine, Turkey, and Greece are in.

This could mean that CL home matches of Russian clubs in September & October will kick off at 19:45 BST from next season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Putin has abolished daylight saving time, so Russia (the Moscow & Petersburg zone) is now only 2 hours ahead of BST, i.e. the game kicks off at 22:05 local time. This is the same time zone that Ukraine, Turkey, and Greece are in.

This could mean that CL home matches of Russian clubs in September & October will kick off at 19:45 BST from next season.

I didn't know about that - it's still very late for a game to kick off but as someone else pointed out the final of the CL kicked off at that time more or less too - which I had forgotten!

I would be gutted if the Russian games moved to standard kick off time as their early kick offs mean you can sneak in extra CL games...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So one of the Semi Finals in a European Competition will only be available to watch on a Mobile phone, tablet or laptop

Surely ITV could do better and let BT show it ??????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a situation that does nothing for fans of European football - it's a shambles and a joke

Realise there are more important things in life than the coverage of the Europa League on UK TV but this really annoys me. Mind you, anyone hoping to watch one live and then the other afterwards would probably be lieft frustrated as both channels (if for instance BT showed Dni-Nap) would do goal updates from the other game.

Here in the UK we must have the worst European football coverage in Europe. I guess we get what we deserve - thanks to the best league in the world (Trademark!) dominating coverage...
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,412
    Forum Member
    Maybe the TV companies have the same attitude as the players and clubs do?

We don't really want to know about the Europa league... so don't care how much coverage we give it.
  • Options
    HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    But they show lots of the earlier games, including Qualifying Rounds, where there is less interest, yet you get to the Semi Finals, and we only get one game.

Such a strange decision!! :confused:
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Well it isnt really that strange, is it? Both matches kick off at the same time and none of them have any British interest, so what do you want ITV to do?

They arent going to put a match on ITV1/2/3/Encore/Be so the first person to suggest that idea isn't being realistic.
  • Options
    HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Well it isnt really that strange, is it? Both matches kick off at the same time and none of them have any British interest, so what do you want ITV to do?

They arent going to put a match on ITV1/2/3/Encore/Be so the first person to suggest that idea isn't being realistic.

I mean it being a strange decision that both ITV & BT dont share the Semis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Homesdale wrote: »
    I mean it being a strange decision that both ITV & BT dont share the Semis.

Depends how the rights are sold, I guess.

If there was an English or Scottish (stop laughing at the back there) team in the semi finals, the whole thing wouldnt be an issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's insane that BT and ITV can't share the two games, that somehow ITV took the two best games, so when there are just two games left they show them both on the medium they see fit to the exclusion of BT. I can't beleive they didn't have a caveat/clause for the semi finals.

To what extent the UK is out on a limb in terms of coverage is moot. If you check out liveonsat I can see...

Countries that have coverage of both games are: Ireland, Germany, Turkey, France, Sweden, Italy, Spain, Romania, South Africa

Countries that only show one or the other are: Britain, Poland, Austria, Ukraine, Belgium, Holland

But given we had two companies showing earlier rounds (whereas I don;t know about the other countries listed above) it seems bizarre that both games aren't being shown :confused:
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes ITV have the rights to the second game but won't show it on their main channel so just give it to BT.

Aye. Okay...

The rights are the rights. ITV have both semi's, no UK interest so online it is (whether you like it or not).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand where the problem is. If you're posting here, you seem to have access to a computer thingy. You can watch one game on the telly and the other one on your computer thingy. Job done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Countries that only show one or the other are: Britain, Poland, Austria, Ukraine, Belgium, Holland
    Britain has both games (ITV 4 and ITV.com).
    Austria has both games (ORF 1/Sky Sport 3 and Sky Sport 4).
    Holland has both games (RTL 7 and Fox Sports 2).
    Don't know about Poland and Ukraine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't understand where the problem is. If you're posting here, you seem to have access to a computer thingy. You can watch one game on the telly and the other one on your computer thingy. Job done.

But having a whine and a moan on here is much more fun....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well for me it is a question of convienience - I much prefer to watch games via the TV as I can record them on to my PVR etc.

I also get frustrated with the way the Europa League is broadcast with the channels constantly spoiling games with live goal updates and commentators refering to other fixtures they aren't showing. So whilst I would like both games to be on TV my chances of watching both games live or as live not knowing the score would be 0% anyway

P.S: I did think it was a bit strange some of those countries not showing both games so it looks like the UK is more out of step that I previously thought
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was discussed at length last year. Yes, it probably would be better for those who have BT on their TV to have the rights split that way, but that's the way that the rights have been sold and you can't blame ITV for buying those rights and showing the semis the way that they do.

Of course, there are more people who can access itv.com than who can get BT Sport - but I do, of course, understand the argument for convenience for fans who would have got BT on their TV, too.

Next year it won't be a problem. BT will show both semi finals across their channels.