Options

People that cant drive a car

36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
Forum Member
✭✭
Surely this is a basic life skill and everyone should be able to drive.

Now when a person above the age of 25 tells me he/she cant drive, I think what the hell is wrong with you :eek:

Now maybe if you live in zones 1-4 in London maybe id just agree you dont actually need to drive as your public transport is decent.

But every other city/town driving is a must.

If you cant afford a car thats a shame but surely you'd wish you could.

Comments

• Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But public transport is so fantastic, clean and fast and reaches even the most remote areas, and so cheap as well, why would anyone waste money on a car?

Oh no, hang on...sorry, I thought I was in another reality then. Blooming pan-dimensional travel pods are always playing up.
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I can't afford to pass my test perhaps? Plus the only thing I need a car for where I live would be to go to Tesco. Which I can do quite easily on the bus after work.

Then again, I often wonder why folk can't do something basic like boil an egg or sew a button back onto a coat/shirt and would rather throw it away and buy a new one.

So there you go.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh whaaaatever. We all know how this is going to play out.

If people can't drive, who cares?! As long as they're not harassing me to be their chauffeur, they can do or not do whatever the heck they please.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    :o:o Ok not only can I not swim but I can't drive either. :D
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now when a person above the age of 25 tells me he/she cant drive, I think what the hell is wrong with you :eek:

Now maybe if you live in zones 1-4 in London maybe id just agree you dont actually need to drive as your public transport is decent.

I think it's none of my business. People either learn to drive or they don't. It's their concern and I don't sit in superior sanctimonious judgement over them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worry about DS sometimes.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant drive, I did take lessons when I was younger and hated it, cant say it really bothers me I have a great bus service and the bus stop is across the road from me
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    :o:o Ok not only can I not swim but I can't drive either. :D

You havnt got much going for you have you?:(
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm too nervous
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know two non drivers in their 40's.
    One is a motor biker.
    The other has a medical condition, Now just for balance What The Hell Is Wrong With You? for assuming we should all be able to drive at 25?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    shhhhh wrote: »
    You havnt got much going for you have you?:(

Lol strangely my hubby says that too. :D:D
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sometimes I wish I couldn't drive so I wouldn't have the expense of a car and have to be an unpaid taxi driver. People who don't learn to drive are very wise.
  • Options
    PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine how congested the roads would be if everyone could drive! they're bad enough as it is!
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can ride a bike ..... and i'm gonna ride it over the NEXT PERSON who makes a thread like this :D
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    I'm over 25, I can't drive a car because of a medical condition. Hopefully I'll get my beloved license back in October then I can start driving my lovely Mazda round again instead of getting the crummy bus :( I wonder if you think 'what the hell is is wrong with me?'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I don't drive a car, I have a horse and carriage.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Over the past week or so I've seen plenty of people on the road who can't seem to drive a car. Amongst the better ones was some clot with snow chains on the front wheels of his 5-series Beemer, yet none on the rear.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Why assume that all people over 25 who haven't got a car 'can't' drive? How childish. Maybe that just don't 'want' to, or maybe they just don't want the financial commitment. Maybe they have a license, but prefer not to use a car. Maybe it's just not that important to them. There could be a million reasons.

I'm sure there are millions of smart, or even highly intelligent adults in the world who choose not to drive.

Only teenagers, or small minded people, would even attempt to judge ones ability, or worth as person, based on whether or not they chose to obtain a driving license.
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    Because I can't afford to pass my test perhaps? Plus the only thing I need a car for where I live would be to go to Tesco. Which I can do quite easily on the bus after work.

Then again, I often wonder why folk can't do something basic like boil an egg or sew a button back onto a coat/shirt and would rather throw it away and buy a new one.

So there you go.

This.

I live in a large conurbation where the public transport is good enough to get me where I need to go pretty much all the time. When I go travelling out and about, I still take public transport and don't have to worry about driving there or parking, or fuel costs.

See, it also costs an awful lot to run a car, and I'd rather spend the money on other things.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish could drive so I could drive around the country and sleep in my car
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 30 something daughter doesn't drive, my 50 year old brother doesn't drive. Both choose not to whereas I can't imagine not driving (and couldn't do my job if I didn't)
  • Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm 39 and I can't drive. And I don't care that I can't drive. I'm a Londoner exiled in Yorkshire and while the buses are bad, the trains are regular and reliable.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A bit of nonsense really. There could be all sorts of reasons why you can't or haven't learned to drive:

Disability.

Can't afford to learn.

Decent public transport in your area.

Feel it isn't for you.

Don't have the confidence.

Also why do you feel as though you have to learn by a certain age? I passed my driving test in my early 30's and would say you are never too old to learn anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know two non drivers in their 40's.
    One is a motor biker.
    The other has a medical condition, Now just for balance What The Hell Is Wrong With You? for assuming we should all be able to drive at 25?

Medical conditions are exempt and rightly so aswell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Men are supposed to drive, its really that simple.