Options

Street parties when the Queen dies

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    You appear to be easily caught up then. I would celebrate no death (well I might make an exception for Mugabi) but why shed tears for complete strangers who have lived far longer and more comfortably than most?

This reminds me of the idiotic IDS who was Tory opposition leader when the QM went in 2002. He actually called her passing "a tragedy". What a foolish thing to say. It was nothing of the sort. Of course only a few weeks earlier Princess Margaret was sent off to the local crem without so much as a blink from the general public who quite rightly in her case remained utterly indifferent.

The way things are going it is not impossible to imagine the throne passing direct from the Queen to William, not because Charles renounces his right but simply because his own mother outlives him! To be heir to the throne for 62 years so far is extraordinary. Even if he succeeds it could be a very brief Kingship indeed. Time will tell.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly idea.... a time of mourning rather than celebration one would have thought.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what Camilla's title will be?
    Queen Camilla. Why not?

As for the thread subject, I suspect Netflix will be throwing one hell of a party in their offices. The spike in subscribers is going to be HUGE.
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    UKNikey wrote: »
    Will they be on when she dies or when William becomes King?

Still got the jubilee flags and napkins

Do grow up how sad must it be to sit there thinking oh yes this will be a good post >:(
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Liz goes there will be HUGE national mourning - absolutely massive HUGE like you can't even begin to imagine..

[has flashback to Diana national mourning]

Ugh.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You wait ... Though maybe you build up resistance - start with Sleepless in Seattle and see how you get on. :)

Er?

The people i shred a tear for is family and friends, why should I shred a tear for someone who have no idea who I am and who I don't know anyway?
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what Camilla's title will be?

Queen Consort.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    [has flashback to Diana national mourning]

Ugh.

i was too busy at that time to see or hear much about that thank goodness. The difference with that, was she died in accident before her time, which was sad, but in my opinion no sadder than some one who died in a accident a couple of days ago on one of our county roads.

Never like Diana anyway,
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Our street is pretty short and it would probably rain anyway. On the bright side, we'll probably get a day off work, although the way she's lasting I'll probably be retired by then and been sent to the reprocessing vats.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    This reminds me of the idiotic IDS who was Tory opposition leader when the QM went in 2002. He actually called her passing "a tragedy". What a foolish thing to say. It was nothing of the sort. Of course only a few weeks earlier Princess Margaret was sent off to the local crem without so much as a blink from the general public who quite rightly in her case remained utterly indifferent.

The way things are going it is not impossible to imagine the throne passing direct from the Queen to William, not because Charles renounces his right but simply because his own mother outlives him! To be heir to the throne for 62 years so far is extraordinary. Even if he succeeds it could be a very brief Kingship indeed. Time will tell.

There can't be many men of 65 who still have both their mother and father alive, so his chances of still being around at the same sort of age as they are now must be a lot better than average.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Queen Consort.

Princess or Queen Consort.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Princess or Queen Consort.
    Queen Consort. The wife of a King is a Queen, not a Princess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Why would I celebrate. I'm indifferent to the royal family entirely. However I do think a King Harry would be absolutely fantastic.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Er?

The people i shred a tear for is family and friends, why should I shred a tear for someone who have no idea who I am and who I don't know anyway?

How do you shred tears? Impossible I'd have thought .......you can't shred a liquid.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Queen Consort. The wife of a King is a Queen, not a Princess.

Ordinarily yes, and both legally and constitutionally she will be. However, when they married, the Palace announced she would be known as HRH The Princess Consort.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Ordinarily yes, and both legally and constitutionally she will be. However, when they married, the Palace announced she would be known as HRH The Princess Consort.

That was decided at the time because she wasn't popular. Prince Charles hinted later that she would be Queen Consort. They do as they please, change rules to suit themselves , so I think she will probably be Queen Consort. Pity they hadn't been so lenient with Edward the eighth.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be breaking out the black bunting but hope we get a day off to mourn Her Maj.

The OP (who I'm not by the way) should think back to when the Queen Mum died to get an idea of how the country reacted.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I wouldn't be breaking out the black bunting but hope we get a day off to mourn Her Maj.

The OP (who I'm not by the way) should think back to when the Queen Mum died to get an idea of how the country reacted.

Indifference?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    That would be Queen Elizabeth's Palace staff, not King Charles's. Personally I'd rather we don't have a monarchy at all, but if we must have one they should be allowed to follow their own rules with regards to what they call themselves, and the wife of a King is the Queen.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I can see an increase in people booking holidays when the Queen dies and I think I will do the same as well. Anything to get away from the endless depressing TV coverage that will inevitably follow when it does happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see an increase in people booking holidays when the Queen dies and I think I will do the same as well. Anything to get away from the endless depressing TV coverage that will inevitably follow when it does happen.

I am ok, I don't watch TV anyway, so i will see nothing.
  • Options
    ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the time comes - Camilla will become HRH The Queen Consort. William and Catherine with become Duke and Duchess of Cornwall. Prince George may become Duke of Cambridge.

When Prince Philip passes away - Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex becomes HRH The Dke of Edinburgh.

When the Queen dies, the Court of St.James will go into something like 3 months of official mourning.

I remember when King George died - allthough expected, it was still a shock and millions of people wore black armbands - it was a very sad time for all of us.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    That was decided at the time because she wasn't popular. Prince Charles hinted later that she would be Queen Consort. They do as they please, change rules to suit themselves , so I think she will probably be Queen Consort. Pity they hadn't been so lenient with Edward the eighth.

Aye right, a Nazi sympathiser on the throne was all we needed.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    Indifference?
    That'd be about right, yeah.

The Guardian did her a lovely tribute though:

http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2002/apr/08/guardianleaders
    Whether campaigning for the legalisation of cannabis, or in her restless need to take text messaging into new areas of self-expression, she was always tradition's foe. We salute her as we remember her from the Battle of Britain to the Battle of Seattle. Respec.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably - on Morrissey's street.