Options

Southland

Comments

• Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had all the episodes of this season stocked up, and got round to watching them yesterday. I can't believe they killed Nate! Poor Sammy.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd ending to this week's episode.
    How did Lydia's pics get on tv? Was it Russ who engineered it in an attempt to break up the new detective partnership?
    Assume the film star did actually do the killings?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found the latest episode really heavy-handed. They just hammered the notion of celebs are way, way, way better & deserve more attention than ordinary folk.

Nice to see Cooper just get pissed off at it, but then getting told off by his boss. It was weird seeing Sammy almost replace Nate as the man of the house.
    tealady wrote: »
    Was it Russ who engineered it in an attempt to break up the new detective partnership?

I'm not sure if they will be continuing that plot thread, but Russ was who I thought. It showed in past episodes that he is short of money, and he might be pissed at Lydia for not giving him a loan.
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    sunsk8 wrote: »
    I think i'm being a bit slow, but why did they attack Nate? Especially him being a cop and there being a copter above? My husband just keeps telling me it's 'random' but i feel like i needed more explanation. what were that mob thinking?

They weren't, i think that was literally a mindless act of violence that then triggered a mob mentality.

Shocking in its suddeness and senselessness.
  • Options
    Resistance xResistance x Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Don't want to put a spanner in the works but I've read elsewhere that More4 are rebranding in December with more make over/fashion call them what you like type shows, does that mean there will be no room for the likes of Southland?
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't want to put a spanner in the works but I've read elsewhere that More4 are rebranding in December with more make over/fashion call them what you like type shows, does that mean there will be no room for the likes of Southland?

Hope not. They need to leave Thursday nights alone!
  • Options
    mooselovermooselover Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Whats up with Cooper?
    Had to rewin to see if it was a man he was in bed with.
  • Options
    isabelle304isabelle304 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    mooselover wrote: »
    Whats up with Cooper?
    Had to rewin to see if it was a man he was in bed with.

Haha! I did exactly the same thing :eek::confused: Took me totally by surprise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'd definitely shown before that he was gay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Yeah it's definately been referred to before, although he's never outright said it.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, wasn't really a surprise if you've payed attention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode this week, Regina was outstanding.
    Still a bit confused about the photos. How did Russ get hold of them? Lydia said she put them on her PC. I thought she meant home, but now it must mean work. But wouldn't that make the circle of who could get them even wider?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still a bit confused about the photos. How did Russ get hold of them? Lydia said she put them on her PC. I thought she meant home, but now it must mean work. But wouldn't that make the circle of who could get them even wider?

Yeah, all agreed. Regina King was amazing. I thought she meant her home PC as well, and was thinking somebody hacked into it, but they didn't really elaborate too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but they didn't really elaborate too much.
    Someone pointed out to me earlier that the outcome of the cases is pretty irrelevant, so that level of detail isn't really examined. It's all about the characters and how they react and interact.
    Though I can't work out how Dewey & Chickie have been paired up. I would never go in the same car as him again!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    They'd definitely shown before that he was gay.

It was certainly alluded to before.
    He got his pain drugs from a bloke in the toilets at a gay bar.
    Don't rememember him actually being with a guy before though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just watched Last week's episode. It was deep, Lydia and Sammy gave Emmy winning performances...

If Southland does not win an Emmy I am heading off to LA (or wherever they do the Emmys), to occupy the whole damn city...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where does Sammy go from here (literally and figuratively)?
    He's either going to get someone else killed or do something really reckless (or immensely risky) that ends in his death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think though that is the one problem I have with Southland. It usually tries too hard to be too edgy so it deliberately isn't your usual cop show, but you kind of knew Sammy was not going to kill the guy. The usually don't get the balance quite right.

Yeah, I imagine they'll wrap up the cop killer story this season, but I think most of the other cops will think he's a loose cannon probably bordering on suicide. His personal life is a mess. Staying with Nate's family I think kept him a little bit grounded and from going completely crazy.

Honestly thought it was a little bit meh overall this week. Interesting that Cooper is like giving up the pill addiction, and him then going a bit mental.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They totally telegraphed the "2 to the chest, 1 to the head" but it still worked out fine. It almost goes without saying now that Regina King is amazing.

Drugged-up Cooper was hilarious! "Ohhh, just shoot him."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They totally telegraphed the "2 to the chest, 1 to the head"
    Exactly what I was going to say.
    Where is Sammy living though?
  • Options
    pearljpearlj Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly what I was going to say.
    Where is Sammy living though?

Love this show. Don't know where Sammy is living but should be in his own home. The character in a bit of a wimp, paying the morgage while his wife is in the house with her boyfriend hope he grows a pair soon, can't stand the wife. Regina King's character is my fav, and message to More 4, don't mess with this show unless it's to move it to channel 4 and HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the end of the series, as there is a 2 week min break
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is another brilliant show that was recommended by DS posters (thank you :)).

p.s. I find Lydia too patronising, to be a cop, let alone a detective. John bawled out chick for being timid and ineffectual at her job, yet we're suppose to believe those same qualities makes Lydia a good detective?

I'm sorry Nate was killed, he and Sammy provided some light relief to the otherwise depressioning aspects of the show. I'm also sorry to see Russell leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the end of the series, as there is a 2 week min break

Nope, finale is tomorrow night.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, episode 10, the season 3 finale is tonight.
    Season 4 starts on TNT in the US in January.
    Hopefully we’ll get it on More4 sometime next year, but what with it re-launching as a more lifestyle channel in the new year this might be doubtful.