Did Only Fools And Horses have a weak episode?

Comments

• Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    ''For god's sake Marlene I might be able to con people into buying my cars,
    i might be able to convice them that you conceived and gave birth in seven days flat
    but how the hell am I gonna convince them that my grandad was Louis Armstrong''

:D:D:D

Brilliant!

They were all struggling with laughter on that scene!!
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say all of the episodes were weak. But then I suppose it depends on the type of humour you like.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Miami Twice. I've never seen Royal Flush. Is it really that bad?
  • StarSupernovaStarSupernova Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    I think 'Miami Twice' is funny. I don't quite understand why it's so disliked. I don't really enjoy 'Royal Flush'. There's no laughter track and the version with one sounds so wrong and out of place. I don't particularly like the story and snobbery.

I'd say all the other episodes are wonderful. The worst one would probably still be better than something produced today.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Royal Flush was a very poor episode IMO, as was the first of the final final trilogy (the one where they've lost all their money). While some episodes were better than others, I like them all except those two.

Unlike some, I don't think the series did suffer from the introduction of Cassandra and Raquel. In fact, the first series with Cassandra was the best ever IMO. I also preferred Albert to Grandad, though both were good.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think 'Miami Twice' is funny. I don't quite understand why it's so disliked.

It takes Del and Rodney out of their environment, which I think some don't like. Also, it's really a very silly and improbable plot. I love it, but people like it more believable probably wouldn't.
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It lost its way quite badly towards the end, in my opinion. I would argue that the trilogy where they became millionaires is quite poor - apart from a couple of very good gags (Del and Rodney dressed up as Batman and Robin and the auction sequence). And the last three episodes were fairly tired.

Before that it was pretty consistent. Sure, there were a few duff episodes, but it kept up a pretty high standard.
  • Trains123Trains123 Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    I think the best way to finish it would have been when they became millionaires and as they walked int the sunset. But they became greedy and still wanted those 20 million viewers at Christmas every year.

OFAH is better than Fawlty Towers every time. Lot of Fawlty's laughs were generated by farce whereas OFAH is genuine comedy gold. In my opinion, they haven't managed to better OFAH yet and may not do so for a long time yet. I also think FT was slightly targeted to middle aged and older people whereas OFAH could be enjoyed by anyone. Don't get me wrong, FT is second best, but atill significantly behind OFAH.

As for grandad or Albert, I would say grandad was good in every episode he played a significant role and Albert was just as good, but he also had a few not so good episodes.

Just to show how good OFAH is, people still enjoy repeats now despite having amazing exposure ver the last however many years. Honestly, how many could bear watching repeats of Friends, let say.

There are a few (and I meanly a very very few) classics you can watch decades after they stopped being made while most shows are only watched when they first air.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Of the original episodes (it was never the same when he came back without Albert) the only episode I never watch is Royal Flush. It's not funny, it's awful, and almost too embarrassing too watch the way Del behaved in most of it.

Rodney was almost as bad with his over-respectful attitude - saying thank you all the time. It got quite sickening! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miami Twice. I've never seen Royal Flush. Is it really that bad?

Awful! The storyline in itself is a bit beyond belief to start with. The one time they should have left class well alone - never the twain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 'Miami Twice' is funny. I don't quite understand why it's so disliked. I don't really enjoy 'Royal Flush'. There's no laughter track and the version with one sounds so wrong and out of place. I don't particularly like the story and snobbery.

I'd say all the other episodes are wonderful. The worst one would probably still be better than something produced today.

I'm a massive Only Fools and Horses fan but even I wouldn't say the worst one is better than something produced today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike some, I don't think the series did suffer from the introduction of Cassandra and Raquel. In fact, the first series with Cassandra was the best ever IMO.

"Lots of people like walking in the rain"
    "Yes but they're usually recaptured very quickly"

"How did you know it was my coat"
    "It's got your name written in it"

One of the best episodes also was the one where Del met Racquel after going to the dating agency "I don't want you lumbering me with some old bow wow"
    I also preferred Albert to Grandad, though both were good.

I always felt Albert didn't stand up for himself as much as Grandad did which made it seem as though he was being bullied at times (especially in the earlier episode Sleeping Dogs Lie and He ain't heavy, he's my uncle).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes Del and Rodney out of their environment, which I think some don't like. Also, it's really a very silly and improbable plot. I love it, but people like it more believable probably wouldn't.

It was also overlong. I liked the running gag about them being mistaken for Australians though! And the bit where they're in the glades with the thought of all those crocs around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trains123 wrote: »
    I think the best way to finish it would have been when they became millionaires and as they walked int the sunset. But they became greedy and still wanted those 20 million viewers at Christmas every year.

Not necessarily greedy. Just giving the public what they wanted. Sometimes getting what you wish for isn't always a good idea!
    OFAH is better than Fawlty Towers every time. Lot of Fawlty's laughs were generated by farce whereas OFAH is genuine comedy gold. In my opinion, they haven't managed to better OFAH yet and may not do so for a long time yet. I also think FT was slightly targeted to middle aged and older people whereas OFAH could be enjoyed by anyone. Don't get me wrong, FT is second best, but atill significantly behind OFAH.

Agree with most of that but I wouldn't place FT second. FT made around 4 extremely good episodes that I would watch again and again, 4 mediocre ones and 4 I'd really struggle to sit through.
    As for grandad or Albert, I would say grandad was good in every episode he played a significant role and Albert was just as good, but he also had a few not so good episodes.

Sorry, don't agree with that. Leonard Pearce was the much better actor and Grandad the much better character imo.
    Just to show how good OFAH is, people still enjoy repeats now despite having amazing exposure over the last however many years. Honestly, how many could bear watching repeats of Friends, let say.

The problem with repeating programmes so often though is that people get sick of seeing it. Always leave them wanting more - that's the mistake John Sullivan made in bringing it back after they had won the millions. Too many repeats isn't necessarily a good thing.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love fools and horses but a lot of the episodes are below par in my opinion (the russians are coming,video nasty,ffatal extraction ,the dvd version of miami twice and the last 3 episodes)
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Yes anything after they decided to let Del and Rodney get married.

As far as I remember Del and Rachel never actually got married did they?
  • BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 6,992
    Forum Member
    Sleepless in Peckham, the last one, was quite dire.
    I didn't rate Diamonds are for Heather either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    Agree about the three episodes where they become millionaires being pretty bad. They should have left it there, because the ones after that were even worse.
    Forum Member

Miami Twice is one of my favourites as well.
    Forum Member
    Funniest episode has to be Friday the 14th where they've gone fishing and there's an escaped madman on the prowl. Grandad and Rodney are assured by Del that he's probably gone further afield, down London way maybe

Grandad "I hope he don't find our flat!":D

Friday the 14th is one of my all time favourite episodes.
    I think The Jolly Boy's Outing is very funny as well. The bit were Rodney and Uncle Albert are squabbling in bed always makes me laugh no matter how many times I see it. :D

http://youtu.be/taHXYZmPjU4
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    Most of them

This....
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they won the money for the watch why couldnt they just end the series their and then. Seeing as that was the actual point to the show.

Why some crappy plot of them losing it all in stocks.
    Forum Member
    steven1977 wrote: »
    When they won the money for the watch why couldnt they just end the series their and then. Seeing as that was the actual point to the show.

Why some crappy plot of them losing it all in stocks.

I agree with that.
    Although there were some funny parts, Del and Rodney as Batman and Robin and the bit in the auction, overall they were really poor, but the ones after that take the prize for the worse episodes in opinion. They were truely awful.
    I know a lot of us moan when a programme we love ends, I know I do, but this is a prime example of why you should quit while you're ahead.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    The problem with the episodes after they became rich was that there was really nowhere for them to go.

I think the nation liked the idea of more OF&H episodes but there wasn't really any way that it could live up to the past. Them being rich and successful defeated the whole point of the show so they had to be made poor again. The problem with that is once you make them poor after being rich the public aren't so interested in watching them succeed again because they had it and blew it!

Its fun watching street wise guys ducking and diving trying to get rich. Its not so much fun watching wealthy guys now bankrupt trying to survive.

It was also noticeable that prior to being rich both Del and Rodney were "smart" characters. Rodney was more academic and Del was street smart and a bit cunning. They were a likeable duo. After they lost the cash the characters became morons and totally different. Their partners also became nagging and pretty damn annoying. The whole dynamic changed and tbh it just wasn't funny.

Maybe I'm looking at it too deeply but thats my take on it anyway!
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Hull and Back. Just don't enjoy it.

Don't like ones about Rodney and Cassandra because the actress playing her is terrible and they never seemed to be happy together, it really dragged everything down.

I do like the latest ones except for Damian, it was excruciating how they had him talking in a fake Jamaican accent or saying ridiculous phrases. Maybe it was funny to the older generation but it wasn't to me, someone who actually did grow up in SE London and knew what the writers were aiming for but didn't quite reach.