Options

[Game] The Mix Factor 5: Live Show #4

Comments

• Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Francesca: I waysn't a massive fan of the generic pop-rock feel of the song but there's no denying that this fitted you more than last week's song Francesca. Good pick overall, I don't think it was a stand-out song choice but it was definitely a better song than your last performance so congratulations on that, well done!
  • Options
    EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look at that, Francesca actually gets decent comments from everyone for once. Could this be a sign that she won't have to worry about another sing-off tonight?

Back to the groups for the next performance. Having had their song changed last-minute (what is it with Roxie and last-minute changes?), let's see what Rikke & Trine have in store for us.

When The Windows Shook by Paper Aeroplanes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS0jBrgnidY
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    What a great job you did girls! The folk, emotion, vocals – it was all there! A great fit for your quirky indie vocals and the folksy style. The harmonies in the chorus also make it a great match. As I was saying earlier about Haris’s performance, folk is all about story telling. And this song does a great job of telling us a story. I love it how Paper Aeroplanes paints that picture how a natural disaster can affect people with beautiful storytelling and that breath taking emotion. Also you are quite cheesy and that’s fine at times because that’s what you are two youthful fun girls but with this performance I just wanted to show how credible you can be with this criminally underrated song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rikke & Trine

Girls, I actually quite liked that. It had that folk vibe going on and I really liked how your mentor made you more current. However, it still wasn`t outstanding. Almost every act left has had a outstanding performance where they have been in mine and viewers favourites, but you haven`t had that moment yet. You`ll definitely get through but maybe choose a song to stand out next week?
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well girls, I must thank your mentor for changing the song as I had huge doubts about your original song and I was going to question what your mentor was up to, but the change has dismissed those early claims away. The song was a fabulous one and for once, you actually showed some energy in your performance which was a terrific change of progression in a good way. I'm loving you two a lot every week and you're not leaving tonight, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rikki And Trine: Girls, this was another good performance from you, you're pretty consistent. I love 'Paper Aeroplanes' but I don't think this is their BEST song? It was nice but it was pretty middle of the road if I'm being honest, I mean vocally it was good but you're not the most interesting contestants in the competition and I think Roxie's song choices are solid but rather unremarkable. You'll be safe tonight but I haven't seen anything outstanding from you girls yet and there's only so far 'good' will take you. De
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A solid set of comments for Rikke & Trine, although a few of the judges are waiting for a wow-moment from them. Will they get the chance to deliver one?

Next up, it's the fabulous Dami Im tackling another pop song.

I`ll Get Lost, You Go Your Way by G.NA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXi9eTcYlvM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dami
    *Standing Ovation*

Dami, once again you were out of this world. It was basically you. It suited your vocals so well and it was so powerful. You nearly blew me out of my chair actually. I was watching a few performances of yours back and this sounded perfect for some of the things you did on the show. Right now, you are one of the frontrunners of this competition and have had a great performance every week. I love choosing songs for you and I really hope the public vote you through!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Standing Ovation*

Pingu...can I just say that I hate you right now? :p ...I'm joking of course. Dami lady, you've done it again...just simply wow again! At first, I was worried if you would fall back a bit after your previous performance, but this was outstanding once again. You really showed the emotions in that performance, perhaps even more so than before. There is no stopping you right now and I hope I don't jinx it, but forget the next show, you may as well be a potential finalist. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's all getting so tactical. Rikke and Trine have also never been in the viewer's least favorites ever. And Kevin it's all quite subjective what the Paper Aeroplanes best song is - I personally think Wise Children's best song is Absence but hey ho.

I thought this week was good in a way. I love the fact that Pingu has focused on a direction with you at least i.e. K-Pop so stylistically this song was great for that. The tone was slightly off in parts – it felt a little too girly – and the song itself did feel a bit clichéd/Glee but that’s not always a bad thing and in this case I think it works with K-pop. I would like to see something a bit more edgy from you though which is what made us all so interested in you on X Factor Australia in the first place. Overall, I think a lovely performance but just a few more risks need to be taken because atm again it feels all very samey and safe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dami Im: Until this point, you were definitely the strongest in the competition for me Dami. However, there was always the risk that you're setting the standard so high for yourself that you wouldn't live up to it and this was the case with this song I'm afraid. I mean, it was alright but you have given so much better than that, the song itself was forgettable Europop and I feel like it was way too easy for you to sing, it was too standard generic pop, I was hoping for something more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could Dami have peaked too early as Kevin is saying or does she have nothing to worry about this week?

The second and therefore final boy is the next act in the running order. Please give it up for mister Marco Mengoni.

You Will Leave A Mark by A Silent Film
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-KD1FTyeQE
    Note: This song fits Marco's faintly husky vocals which are backed up by his smooth, controlled falsetto voice. This song is a catchy and accessible piano track which will fit his style.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marco boy, that was much, much better than last week's performance. I'm so glad your mentor brought the husky-side of your voice to the forefront as I feel with that in play, you do a lot better. That combined with the song choice made it a terrific performance, like in a comeback sort of way. Haris is the top boy, but you are slowly creeping up and I still believe you are a darkhorse act who could surprise us all in the shows to come. So well done for tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marco Mengoni: This was outstanding my boy, the judges felt that last week didn't really suit you so I wanted to go back to the Marco we all love this week, this is more focused on your indie roots than the bluesiness of the voice but the higher vocals suited the fact that your upper range is exquisite for a male vocalist. It was also a song that really allowed you to show what a superstar performer you are. I have so many ideas of where to go with you and just want to be able to continue doing that. This was flawless!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marco

Marco, I don`t know if I I liked this for you. I thought the vocals were pretty much spot on for you but it was the style I think that I didn`t like. I`ve been watching a few of your performances back and I just don`t think this was exactly right for you. You are actually the most confusing act for me as I don`t know your direction very well. Overall, a good performance though!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well done Marco – great performance! Now your tone is an interesting one because you do have this rasp and I felt the song played to that rasp really well, not to mention suiting your accent slightly too. I also really like the song – epic progression to a catchy chorus. The higher bits had this nice spooky quality to it which I absolutely love in songs. This matched your style to an extent too – the rock was all there, though I am still waiting for that one crazy/eccentric rock performance from you but I’m sure that will eventually come in due time. I have to admit I usually prefer Haris from the category to you, I feel that after Barne’s slightly tactical/disappointing elimination last week, you brought it for Team Kevin this week. Good job!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In response to Pingu, I think because Marco has such a mix of vocal traits i.e. a bit of huskiness, a fairly brilliant falsetto but also indie roots and great performance skills, there's no particular style that he needs to fit into but rather songs that compliment him as an artist so I don't think I really need to categorize myself to a 'style' for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pingu doesn't seem to be keen on any of Kev's acts tonight for some reason. However, Marco got praised by all three other judges so there's still hope for him.

Time for a bit of uptempo fun again don't you think. Singing a Shawn Desman song, it's David Correy .

Alive by Shawn Desman
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eaal05nTims
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yay finally an upbeat song from David! This did feel slightly cheesy tbh but let’s forget about that for now. This particular song of Shawn Desman did come across as slightly more boybandy than R&B. Nevertheless, it definitely suited your lighter tone and it was a nice song if somewhat slightly generic. For me stylistically it wasn’t on point compared to who you are (and yes the lyrics were slightly cheesy but I suppose less cheesy than your previous songs); Pingu just needs to find a tighter fit but it felt like a step in the right direction so well done. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David
    *Standing Ovation*

David, what a performance. Roxie really wanted something that wasn`t cheesy and this was exactly that. It was so upbeat and uplifting. I haven`t had a good day but you just made me happy. It suited that higher tone of yours really well and I think you gave your best performance of the entire competition. For me, you just have to be here next week. No questions about it. I really hope the public vote because I love mentoring you. Please vote!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David, I will not lie, the song was a fun choice, it got me dancing all round once more...which I've been doing all night so far, what's wrong with me? Anyways, the choice itself was great in parts and you really gave it some in the performance with your style being added along with the performing. All that leaves me to suggest is that your mentor should either keep going down this route, a very fresh and good showing overall and you should be safe.
  • Options
    aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to voting ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    aliyah101 wrote: »

Haha great to have you (and Kevin actually as much as I have found his comments bewildering :p) on board. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aliyah101 wrote: »

About time tbh. :p

Roxie reminded me that I should send you the song list every week, which I'll be doing from now on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Corry: This was not very good at all David. I hated it, it was beyond cheesy but more grating was the fact that the artist's vocals were so nasally and I found it rather offputting. I think you have had a few good weeks, a middling week and now a rather dire week, I didn't like it at all, it felt like quite a lazy song choice and I don't think it was a good performance :(