Options

Are atheists the new Bible thumpers ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I think you just made a good example of what the op refers to.

I am no sure what you mean, any Faith so far has had men circumcising themselves interfering with woman/girls sexual organs treating woman as second class/possessions
    Jews treat badly by Christians Roman Catholics against Protestants Sunni against Shiites In the past treating none whites as slaves
    I could go on
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Sums it up quite well actually. They seem to have this compulsion to remind everyone over and over and over and over again how much they hate religion, how much they don't believe in anything and how anyone who does is an idiot e.t.c....

Correcting someone that is talking complete nonsense is not a compulsion, it's the sensible rational correct thing to do.

Well what would you call someone who dreams up some fantasy land and then actually thinks it's real?

But I see it's OK for you to post attacking rational thinkers, but you object when it the other way around. Typical! - But at least we have reality to fully and totally back us up, whilst the religious has no provided one single thing in thousands of years. At the dawn of time, people in Mexico used to worship the Sun and thought that it was a God. Tell me, how did that nonsense work out for them? And the nonsense just continued with a different brand. It always will as some just can't function in the real world.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    All you're doing is underscoring the arrogance of "the rational thinkers" by continuing to use insulting and belittling terms like "fantasy land". I have yet to see a jot of evidence of "constant arrogance" from "the religious".

Yes I followed exactly your arrogant posts on here and did the same.

You must be religious as you are totally oblivious to what you are doing and yet complain about everyone else.

Again I will correct you: It is not arrogance, it's called reality. I didn't invent it, so don't shoot the messenger just because it destroys your fantasy land plot.
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know it's funny, I am not religious, do not attend church, get annoyed at the knock on the door by bored looking people expecting me to see their light.

But

My memories as a child of religion are just about fables and respecting each other (but I am C of E)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Yes I followed exactly your arrogant posts on here and did the same.

You must be religious as you are totally oblivious to what you are doing and yet complain about everyone else.

Again I will correct you: It is not arrogance, it's called reality. I didn't invent it, so don't shoot the messenger just because it destroys your fantasy land plot.

So you're angry at him because he may be religious and is questioning your ignorant posts?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't that a teeny-weeny bit like jumping to an unfounded conclusion based on no evidence other than that it fits your own preconceptions?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correcting someone that is talking complete nonsense is not a compulsion, it's the sensible rational correct thing to do

But you don't simply "correct" people do you ?. You attack, insult and belittle.

Proof in point ..
    Well what would you call someone who dreams up some fantasy land and then actually thinks it's real?
    Yes I followed exactly your arrogant posts on here and did the same

Pointing out what certain posters do all the time is hardly arrogant is it ?

See what I said about attacking people ?. That's what you're doing here. You clearly don't like someone highlighting the attitude of the "rational thinkers" so you go on the attack and claim i "must be religious" to try and establish some form of superiority over me.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I simply believe in empirical evidence. :)

Which for any of the thousands of God's throughout history there is precisely none.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I simply believe in empirical evidence. :)

Which for any of the thousands of God's throughout history there is precisely none.

That's not automatically true for all atheists, though, is it? I mean, there are atheists out there who believe in some crazy shit. Just not a God. Those millions raised by the homeopathy industry don't all come from fervent churchgoers.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    That's not automatically true for all atheists, though, is it? I mean, there are atheists out there who believe in some crazy shit. Just not a God. Those billions raised by the homeopathy industry don't all come from fervent churchgoers.

Homeopathy etc. are hardly a threat, rather benign in the grand scheme of things today in our country.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    What I don't understand about some atheists on here is that they dislike Religion so much but always tend to go on about it even in threads where it is not required. Just shows how obsessive they are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Homeopathy etc. are hardly a threat.

I'd disagree, but that wasn't my point, which was about believing in empirical evidence.
  • Options
    WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have yet to see a jot of evidence of "constant arrogance" from "the religious".

I know that you're referring to "the religious" on an individual level, but there is a tendency amongst religions to assert that their followers will enjoy an afterlife of eternal bliss and that everyone else won't; that their interpretation of god's will is right and that everyone else is wrong; and that at least some of their tenets should be applied beyond their religious community. The arrogance doesn't have to come from the individuals because it's so inherently fundamental to the entire edifice.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd disagree, but that wasn't my point, which was about believing in empirical evidence.

OK wrong end of the stick , sorry.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not automatically true for all atheists, though, is it? I mean, there are atheists out there who believe in some crazy shit. Just not a God. Those millions raised by the homeopathy industry don't all come from fervent churchgoers.

People will believe in almost anything, athiests included.

Everyone is different but personally I require evidence to believe in something. :)
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it 'bible thumping' to say the balance between religon and atheism, is tipping towards the atheistic point of view
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anti-theism annoys me largely because I'm a secularist, and excluding the religious from secularism (believe it or not, if u c wut i did thar, there are many religious secularists out there) is cutting out a lot of secularism's potential support base, and slowing the process towards becoming a truly secular society.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See the first post and the whole thread for utter arrogance of talking down to rational thinkers and asking "why can't we just....." - the answer is because we don't waste our time in fantasy land that's why not!

What is this constant arrogance from some religious people where everyone simply must entertain their nonsense?

OK. I think neither of us are strangers to the way things work here Jesse, you know the rules and so do I. But .... I'm prepared to engage in a dedicated conversation, maybe no other forum member would offer that. I think if I start with explaining the religious feelings I get, maybe you'll understand.

What do you think? :)
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    Why not just think, okay, perhaps there is 10% chance that might be the case ? Why dismiss it totally ?
    I don't dismiss the possibility. I have just carefully weighed up all the evidence and decided there isn't a god. Obviously I could be wrong which is why whenever anyone makes claims about "what god says, does and thinks" I ask how they know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    But you don't simply "correct" people do you ?. You attack, insult and belittle.

Proof in point ..

Pointing out what certain posters do all the time is hardly arrogant is it ?

See what I said about attacking people ?. That's what you're doing here. You clearly don't like someone highlighting the attitude of the "rational thinkers" so you go on the attack and claim i "must be religious" to try and establish some form of superiority over me.

This is a perfect example why faith is so terrible what would happen if they met i
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK. I think neither of us are strangers to the way things work here Jesse, you know the rules and so do I. But .... I'm prepared to engage in a dedicated conversation, maybe no other forum member would offer that. I think if I start with explaining the religious feelings I get, maybe you'll understand.

What do you think? :)

Nicely done...
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well personally the vast majority of atheists I know aren't smug arseholes. They couldn't care less what people believe just as the vast majority of Christians I know aren't a bunch of evangelical loonies.
    There are of course exceptions, but we should avoid making sweeping generalisations.
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Homeopathy etc. are hardly a threat, rather benign in the grand scheme of things today in our country.

Sorry, off topic I know, but I fundamentally disagree with this. I think the homoeopathy industry is actually rather sinister and dangerous. I think it preys on the weak and vulnerable in society and offers hope to those in the lowest points in there life where there is none, or even worse, turns people against evidence-based treatments which may be unpleasant or even gruelling by providing treatment which on the face of it seems more attractive, but is in reality useless.
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a perfect example why faith is so terrible what would happen if they met i

You may wish to consider if your personal feelings and prejudices are clouding your objectivity.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all because of the internet.

Say thanks to life.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that you're referring to "the religious" on an individual level, but there is a tendency amongst religions to assert that their followers will enjoy an afterlife of eternal bliss and that everyone else won't; that their interpretation of god's will is right and that everyone else is wrong; and that at least some of their tenets should be applied beyond their religious community. The arrogance doesn't have to come from the individuals because it's so inherently fundamental to the entire edifice.

Firstly, I was merely echoing Jesse's reference to "the religious" as an overall collection of people.

I understand where you're coming from. But what you see as arrogance, I see simply as a belief system. The difference, for me at least, is the expression of those beliefs.

A religious person, at least in my experience, is much more likely to share their beliefs with you rather than attack you for not believing. A "rational thinker" is much more likely to attack you for believing in "fantasy land" and "fairy stories" rather than actually engage you in a debate.

A "rational thinker" is also far more likely to try and "convert" a religious person than the other way around.