F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Found something interesting when going through some old stuff earlier.
    The 1st F1 Digital+ broadcast was the 1996 German Gp, However I'd read in the past that they did a full system trial at Silverstone which was never broadcast.

In 2007 Premiere broadcast a short highlight program for Silverstone 1996 as part of there Die Besten Gp series & I captured it. At the time I missed the fact that it seems to be using the footage shot during the F1 Digital+ full trial.

For the 1st 4-5 laps its the TV pictures from the BBC World-feed but the graphics are handled differently, Then from lap 5 on they start using some of there own trackside camera angles, A few of which would remain FOM angles going forward.

I put together a video running from the start of the race to the time Premiere's highlights cut forward a few laps to show the differences. World-feed via EuroSport is in the PIP window & what seems to be the F1 Digital+ trial footage is full-screen:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ev8mw_96-silv
  • maclaurenmaclauren Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I put together a video running from the start of the race to the time Premiere's highlights cut forward a few laps to show the differences. World-feed via EuroSport is in the PIP window & what seems to be the F1 Digital+ trial footage is full-screen:

Thanks for this, great find. I compared a few 96 races myself some time ago but never really bothered to look past the start so wasn't aware Premiere used the digital pictures for those highlights.
  • Richo2006Richo2006 Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And then he throws in words like "cannobalage" or whatever the French word for "big crash" is he's trying to look intelligent for using.
    Stop. This. now.

This was actually a subtle in-joke or reference or homage (whatever you prefer to call it) to Murray Walker.

I can't find the video right now to prove it but when I saw this video a couple of months ago, I realised why Buxton used it at Monaco for the Ste Devote crash.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And then he throws in words like "cannobalage" or whatever the French word for "big crash" is he's trying to look intelligent for using.
    Stop. This. now.

I'm another on the anti-Buxton parade :p Don't enjoy his whiny commentaries. he is passionate and all but given him a few years, not for me. Decent enough reporter.
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    have digitalspy not been reading our thread?
    Or been watching any F1 coverage on the BBC for the past TWO years at least! None of what's been described in that article is "unprecedated" even for the BBC!

Also, lolling a little at some of the comments on James Allen's article that I linked.

"Ah yes, it only ran for one year, I believe it was called 'The F1 Channel'" xD Must stay calm and not go into ranting mode...

I personally believe that FOM wouldn't bother launching an online platform until they've persuaded/prevented the broadcasters from requesting a geo-block on it.
  • F1-AddictF1-Addict Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    Surely it would be the other way round, see how live streaming does and *then* offer out archive footage? Bearing in mind, the older stuff still hasn't been digitised. From what i've been told there's petabytes of footage, from every individual camera, broadcast & unbroadcast, as well as the finished productions that they're busy re-cataloguing and digitising, for the first time. Previously it was all on shelves on the original media. IMO live streaming should be the priority. Even if it's just a basic stream of the world feed with commentary.
    My thinking is FOM would lose very little value from their existing deals with broadcasters by offering archive content direct to customers. Live streaming online is much more risky as Sky, BBC, etc won't pay £50m+ per year for rights to something that is cheaper online. I would also imagine it would be easier to rewrite the current deals to allow for archive content to be offered by FOM, live streaming however would require completely new deals IMO. FOM could perhaps work to have all their major international contracts end on the same year to allow for a trouble-free worldwide rollout under their own terms. But then again none of this might happen which is much more likely given FOM's slow uptake of new technology :(
    lettice wrote: »
    F1 show in front of a live audience, looks like its happening, doh! just like the awful live footie ones with with Jamie redknapp and co. To me that adds zilch.
    Shame, he mentioned Natalie will be there for 2014, hoped she was gone.
    If it is just like Saturday Night Football then it will be a pointless addition. Having the crowd ask simple questions just for the sake of involving them is not an improvement on the old format. And I had hoped Rachel would take over from Natalie as her occasional appearances were a big improvement over other weeks last season.
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruno Senna joins the Sky F1 team, just announced.
  • bobnickbobnick Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FOM Fan wrote: »

Urgh, what an awful article. It's sponsored advertorial posing as real journalism (like the infamous Joe Saward debacles) with the addition of a cheesy corporate video full of faux buzzwords hoping to get CTOs time with Tata - and they haven't even made the video in HD!

All this talk about leading-edge technology and they haven't bothered to use YouTube's 4k, 1080 or 720 modes.
  • jdn123jdn123 Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Isn't he the commentator the radio le mans guys have some sort of beef with after he turned down their advice? :confused:

If you know what their beef is, please let me know, as I'm not entirely sure ;-)

I believe the F1 App will be taking the 5Live commentary.

Bruno Senna is a great Sky addition in my opinion, someone a bit more modern to complement Damon/Johnny etc
  • cocarrollcocarroll Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jdn123 wrote: »
    If you know what their beef is, please let me know, as I'm not entirely sure ;-)

Bruno Senna is a great Sky addition in my opinion, someone a bit more modern to complement Damon/Johnny etc

Congrats jdn123. Hope it all goes really well for you. :D Great gig to get! I for one will be listening with added interest.
    Forum Member
    bobnick wrote: »
    Urgh, what an awful article. It's sponsored advertorial posing as real journalism (like the infamous Joe Saward debacles) with the addition of a cheesy corporate video full of faux buzzwords hoping to get CTOs time with Tata - and they haven't even made the video in HD!

All this talk about leading-edge technology and they haven't bothered to use YouTube's 4k, 1080 or 720 modes.
    Well yes, but it still reveals more about FOM's TV production.
    Forum Member
    F1-Addict wrote: »
    My thinking is FOM would lose very little value from their existing deals with broadcasters by offering archive content direct to customers. Live streaming online is much more risky as Sky, BBC, etc won't pay £50m+ per year for rights to something that is cheaper online. I would also imagine it would be easier to rewrite the current deals to allow for archive content to be offered by FOM, live streaming however would require completely new deals IMO. FOM could perhaps work to have all their major international contracts end on the same year to allow for a trouble-free worldwide rollout under their own terms. But then again none of this might happen which is much more likely given FOM's slow uptake of new technology :(
    Ever since they got burnt by F1Digital, FOM have been wary of quickly implementing an existing technology without extensive trials and a certainty that it will be used, They didn't implement widescreen or HD until they were sure that the majority of broadcasters would actually take it. I'm sure FOM wouldn't have bothered with getting all this up and running (with regards to inhouse streaming) unless they'd already sorted it out with the majority of broadcasters.

I believe that they still do have the ability to remove broadcaster's online rights from the contracts without having that blocked by the broadcasters, they mentioned doing such as thing very matter of factly in their singapore stock exchange agreement.
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn! Missed it by 3 days. Happy slightly bleated Birthday to us, 12 years old this thread and they said it wouldn't last! :)
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member

Congrats, it will be great to hear a fresh voice on the radio :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    With the the BBC cuts getting deeper, bbc3 it seems is just the start.
    Someone above was mentioning the f1 app having some bbc radio5 commentary.
    Would it not be an idea for the BBC to offer the 'Selectable cameras' and tv pics with the radio5 commentary and not have the tv commentary?
    Many of you always say the radio commentary is better.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Full Highlights program:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1f1ecj_1996-silverstone_auto
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    According to the BBC F1 magazine:

We're going to get new broadcast graphics this year. They will contain more and new information apparently.

Sounds like Tom Clarkson's role has been expanded to include more technical stuff, not surprising.

Sounds like Coulthard might being using a Skypad-like system. Sounds interesting.

Viewing times: http://imgur.com/OG0hCPY
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the BBC F1 magazine:

We're going to get new broadcast graphics this year. They will contain more and new information apparently.

Sounds like Tom Clarkson's role has been expanded to include more technical stuff, not surprising.

Sounds like Coulthard might being using a Skypad-like system. Sounds interesting.

Or could that be Mcnish's job?? Sounds like that will be his job to me.

This sounds like the BBC are trying to move things forward. Tom Clarkson could really blossom now he's got a big role to expand into like Ted has.

I was wondering if BBC Sport would get a graphics change for the world cup, they do normally.

Also it says the Brazil shows are on at 8pm. I wonder if that will stay like that. Both shows also down for 90mins.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loving the new graphics on Williams this year....very retro almost "Rush" like ....actually not Williams anymore apparently Williams Martini Racing ;-)
    http://www.williamsf1.com/Team/Media/News/WILLIAMS-UNVEILS-FW36-WITH-NEW-MARTINI-LIVERY/

http://www.williamsf1.com/Team/Media/Photos/Williams-MARTINI-Racing-Mercedes-FW36/

(suzi wollf looks like she should be on a Pan Am flight in her get up too)...... :p:D
    https://twitter.com/Martini_drinks/status/441595304932933633/photo/1

whatever it's great - a new decent sponsor - hope they do well they deserve to be back near the top shaking things up...with the mercedes plant they might just do it..... :)
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member

Oh look at me stirring the pot, well lets try not to start a civil war between the very few professional commentators out there and I'll just shut my big mouth and pretend I never mentioned it :p

Congrats in person then, is this job in addition to everything you're doing or will you have to give up a series or two to incorporate it due to strange BBC rules no-one on this thread had ever understood.....?
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Will the F1 app use radio 5 commentary? What about all those bloody interruptions for crap like a wicket in the cricket or some football score?
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    loving the new graphics on Williams this year....very retro almost "Rush" like ....actually not Williams anymore apparently Williams Martini Racing ;-)
    http://www.williamsf1.com/Team/Media/News/WILLIAMS-UNVEILS-FW36-WITH-NEW-MARTINI-LIVERY/

http://www.williamsf1.com/Team/Media/Photos/Williams-MARTINI-Racing-Mercedes-FW36/

(suzi wollf looks like she should be on a Pan Am flight in her get up too)...... :p:D
    https://twitter.com/Martini_drinks/status/441595304932933633/photo/1

whatever it's great - a new decent sponsor - hope they do well they deserve to be back near the top shaking things up...with the mercedes plant they might just do it..... :)
    This has to be one of the most poorly kept secrets recently.

It's great to see so many big name brands coming back to F1.
  • F1-AddictF1-Addict Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ToneXIR wrote: »
    Bruno Senna joins the Sky F1 team, just announced.
    So this is the 'very exciting news' Sky were talking about? The addition of a fifth ex-driver to an already ex-driver heavy pundit lineup? And of the 5, 3 of them retired over 14 years ago and the other 2 had (at best) mediocre success in their short stints in the mid-field. Now I'm sure Bruno will be decent as a pundit and the current lineup certainly aren't incompetent but I'm not a fan of adding to what was already too many ex-drivers for one channel.
  • Guv'norGuv'nor Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1-Addict wrote: »
    So this is the 'very exciting news' Sky were talking about? The addition of a fifth ex-driver to an already ex-driver heavy pundit lineup? And of the 5, 3 of them retired over 14 years ago and the other 2 had (at best) mediocre success in their short stints in the mid-field. Now I'm sure Bruno will be decent as a pundit and the current lineup certainly aren't incompetent but I'm not a fan of adding to what was already too many ex-drivers for one channel.

He will be replacing Ant Davidson when away racing so the same balance will be maintained.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    The problem with the two Germans dominating F1 in recent times is that the pool of ex-f1 world champions you can get in to do punditry work is much reduced.
This discussion has been closed.