Prequel for 50th Anniversery

dave1976dave1976 Posts: 194
Forum Member
Keeping this very short!

I would like to see a Doctor Who prequel for the 50th anniversary. The story would be about why the Doctor stole the TARDIS from the museum and decided to escape Gallifrey.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like a 15 min mini episode style thing, yeah i could see that :) would be brilliant

what date is the actual 50th anniversary??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big question: this sounds awesome, but who would play the doctor?
  • ZariusZarius Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    If I recall, there was an epilouge in the 30th anniversary comic strip "Time and Time Again" (written by Paul Cornell) which depicted The First Doctor and Susan fleeing Gallifrey in the type 40 (represented by a white box, yet to take on it's police box identity)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big question: this sounds awesome, but who would play the doctor?

A youthful looking William Hartnell? :cool:
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    A youthful looking William Hartnell? :cool:

cool :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cool :cool:

Bow ties certainly are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave1976 wrote: »
    TARDIS from the museum
    Was it actually from a museum? I thought it was just so old and outdated that it was jokingly called a museum piece, like comparing, for example, a Nokia 3310 to an Apple iPhone 4. Both work fine, but the former is pretty redundant.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    From what I remember the TARDIS was supposed to be the last of the Type 40's in service, but it had been returned to Gallifrey for decommissioning as it was no longer working at 100% and was sitting unguarded in a TARDIS cradle (dock) awaiting its fate when when the Doctor stole (or it stole him).
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I believe that back in the late 90's/early 2000's, there were three people trying to persuade the BBC to relaunch Dr Who. RTD got the gig with the idea of removing the Time Lords, dropping a lot of other "old" stuff and placing the main focus around Earth because of a human assistant (Rose) and her familiy.

One of the other contenders was Mark Gatiss and his idea was to "kick start" the franchise - go back to the beginning - and as he's still involved with DW - another story this year - he'd be the obvious choice to write such a story - he may even have one already written.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would people feel about Rafe Spall to tackle the young first doctor? The visual match isn't perfect , but I'm struggling to think of any contemporary actors much more suited (http://img.listal.com/image/1320338/600full-rafe-spall.jpg). Also, there's a need to balance appearance with acting chops anyway, and he certainly has the charisma and talent to pull it off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see a Three Doctors type storyline which could have the eleventh Doctor having to go back to witness or re-examine significant points in his own history, including originally taking the TARDIS.

Would feel more appropriate as a part of a story rather than as a seperate, Indiana Jones type prequel or pre-credits segment.

NO companions though, as it would probably end up being an excuse to have Rose et al back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surfprof wrote: »
    I'd like to see a Three Doctors type storyline which could have the eleventh Doctor having to go back to witness or re-examine significant points in his own history, including originally taking the TARDIS.

Would feel more appropriate as a part of a story rather than as a seperate, Indiana Jones type prequel or pre-credits segment.

NO companions though, as it would probably end up being an excuse to have Rose et al back.

In a similar vein, I quite like the idea of embedding it as a flashback in an episode, similar to the scenes on Gallifrey in the season three finale. Think the natural opportunity to include such a flashback may have just passed with the doctor's wife though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about a Susan?
    Forum Member
    2013 will be the official 50th anniversary. This type of episode would make a great christmas special. Part 1 on xmas day 2012, part 2 on new years day 2013.

Wonder if Tennant & Ecclestone would consider it? Bet McGann would. I bet even Tom Baker would do a voice over!
    Forum Member
    JCRendle wrote: »
    What about a Susan?

Something about Susan could be the driving force for the storyline.

New Doctors with very old companions. That would be interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the most obvious story for the 50th anniversary has to be shown close (if not on the) original transmission date and the subject matter is the assassination of JFK.......? We know the 9th Dr was there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    I'd call the episode 'Memory Lane' and it'd be about the Doctors life on Gallifrey.

For the prequel, have Benedict Cumberbatch play a Young William Hartnell. That would settle any debate about him being the next Master/Doctor.

At the end, have the alliance create some weapon to try and remove The Doctor from all of time and space. The first doctor stumbles through a rift and comes face to face with his eleventh predecessor. Together they bring back their other incarnations to stop the threat.

First - Benedict Cumberbatch
    Second - Michael Troughton (Patrick's son)
    Third - Sean Pertwee (Jon's son)
    Fourth - Tom Baker
    Fifth - Peter Davison
    Sixth - Colin Baker
    Seventh - Sylvester McCoy
    Eight - Paul McGann
    Ninth - Christopher Eccleston
    Tenth - David Tennant.
    Forum Member
    AshDybala wrote: »
    I'd call the episode 'Memory Lane' and it'd be about the Doctors life on Gallifrey.

For the prequel, have Benedict Cumberbatch play a Young William Hartnell. That would settle any debate about him being the next Master/Doctor.

At the end, have the alliance create some weapon to try and remove The Doctor from all of time and space. The first doctor stumbles through a rift and comes face to face with his eleventh predecessor. Together they bring back their other incarnations to stop the threat.

Fourth - Tom Baker
    Fifth - Peter Davison
    Sixth - Colin Baker
    Eight - Paul McGann
    Tenth - David Tennant.

Noooooooooo.

Leave six and seven out of it. No more Kandy man!!!

As for Benedict Cumberbatch. Great actor and would make a good Doctor, but too identifiable as Sherlock Holmes now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noooooooooo.

Leave six and seven out of it. No more Kandy man!!!

As for Benedict Cumberbatch. Great actor and would make a good Doctor, but too identifiable as Sherlock Holmes now.

RAFE SPALL! *jumps up and down on spot*
    Forum Member
    RAFE SPALL! *jumps up and down on spot*

OK. You can have Rafe Spall.

(Hypothetically)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK. You can have Rafe Spall.

(Hypothetically)

Woohoo!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave1976 wrote: »
    I would like to see a Doctor Who prequel for the 50th anniversary. The story would be about why the Doctor stole the TARDIS from the museum and decided to escape Gallifrey.

No thanks. Because it wouldn't match the story I have built up in my head over the last 40+ years ;)
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like a 15 min mini episode style thing, yeah i could see that :) would be brilliant

what date is the actual 50th anniversary??

23 November 2013. The first episode aired the day after the JFK assassination.

I'm not sure I'm up for a prequel. Didn't RTD veto a CBBC spin-off that would effectively have been The Young Doctor Who Chronicles?
    Forum Member
    2013 is still a good 2 years away, especially the xmas season. If Matt Smith was thinking of moving on at around that time, a multiple Doctors story would be a good way of achieving it.

All the Doctors having to join together to energise the regeneration for the 12th.
  • DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    AshDybala wrote: »

Fourth - Tom Baker
    Fifth - Peter Davison
    Sixth - Colin Baker
    Eight - Paul McGann
    Tenth - David Tennant.

Sean Pertwee is on record saying he'll never play the third Doctor as it'd be insulting to both himself and his late father.