The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Merged)

1293031323335»

Comments

• 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    So, did anyone bother to play or even complete Hero mode? I didn't fancy it due to the long intro and the fact it takes a few hours for the game to warm up but I'm giving it a go now and... it's a bit hard! It puts a really cool Dark-Souls style twist on things, every fight matters. Not sure if I'm gonna commit to this though, especially not if it gets insanely tough later on. Anyone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gonna do a hero mode run through when my mate has finished with my copy, it's been a couple of months since I finished it, although I will have to get a new sensor bar as my kitten chewed through the lead. Have to agree with Jake, MM is one of my least favourite Zelda games ( i've only done 2 runthroughs ).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started hero mode about a month after I completed it for the first time. I had the urgency to go back to it, cos I felt that it was over too quickly.

I did complete hero mode, but to be honest, they could've done alot more to it. The whole point of hero mode is that they take away the hearts that scatter the sky and the surface, but if you get the heart medals, they re-appear, so it's kind of pointless. Enemies deal double damage to you, and take half the amount of damage themselves, but it just means the fight goes on for an extra 20 seconds.

The only cool thing about it...
    is towards the end of the game (after you've got the third flame) your sword charges up immediately (when you hold it skywards)
    and...
    when you've completed the game for the second time, you get a triforce next to your name, I'm not sure if you have to get 100% on everything to do that, cos although I did, I'm not sure if it will apear if you don't..

I think my biggest challenge was getting the Hero's Sheild in Hero Mode. It took me WEEKS to get it. I'm not joking either. I actually could not believe my eyes when I finally got it. There is a huge tip if anybody wants it. Message me when you get to that part, and I'll tell you step by step what to do.
    Forum Member
    Yep that hero shield challenge I can imagine being a total 'mare in Hero mode. It's not needed though, unless the final boss is somehow harder than before. I think I may carry on then :) I don't think hero mode is pointless as it makes things a little more satisfying and adds an additional challenge even if there's not a ton of extras. You have to be more skillful with the sword too.

This easily game rates in my top 3 of all time and I'd say it's even better than OOT, nostalgia aside.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    This easily game rates in my top 3 of all time and I'd say it's even better than OOT, nostalgia aside.

Agreed. :)

I love going back to OOT, but Skyward is in a different dimension imho. I do hope they don't rush out a Wii U Zelda quickly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone have any tips for the third tear trial (The Red Ones) on Zelda?
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found Skyward Sword very disappointing.

It felt like I was playing Super Mario 64 with the worlds.

Also I really dislike robots in Zelda they just don't fit.

Twilight Princess is far superior.
  • BigDave888BigDave888 Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »

It definitely had its ups and downs but I'm glad it still had its amusing moments that I personally was little bit lacking in TP. However, TP is still one of the greatest Zelda games ever!
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »

Agreed. I don't get why so many say it's the best Zelda game...for me personally it's my least favourite of the 6 I've played to date. I did enjoy it, but it's not one I'm in any rush to replay.

I did like the robots, but I found it baffling why-in the earliest game of the timeline so far-it was the most technologically advanced Hyrule has ever been with robots and electricity.:D
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »
    Agreed. I don't get why so many say it's the best Zelda game...for me personally it's my least favourite of the 6 I've played to date. I did enjoy it, but it's not one I'm in any rush to replay.

I did like the robots, but I found it baffling why-in the earliest game of the timeline so far-it was the most technologically advanced Hyrule has ever been with robots and electricity.:D

I've completed it once and I think that was enough.

I've got the story and I can say I've played it but a lot of things put me off - the dragons weren't really dragons; the temples weren't temples and the robots just ruined it. NO electricity in Zelda. Just as there should never have been trains in that DS one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm trying my best to like this one but something keeps putting me off for some reason while I play it. I tried playing it when i got it at christmas but took a disliking to it after getting to the mining area.
    I tried to start a fresh today but again something is again putting me off from playing it all the way through.
    I think its too RPG where before it was a straight forward adventure game.

collecting materials for weapon / item upgrades and repairs.

I just can't warm to the game, I've played them all and this is my least fave of them all.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    After what seems like an age of not playing the game as not found the time to do so, I have just finished Skyward Sword :)
    I'm so glad I got this game and that I've finally had a chance to finish it, though I will say that my arm is now aching a little after all that sword fighting goodyness :D
    Now I've just got to decide whether or not to start Hero mode or not or maybe even think I should carry on with Xenoblade Chronicles first.
    Forum Member
    How would you rate it up against other Zelda games Gonzo?
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    How would you rate it up against other Zelda games Gonzo?

Well I've only played Ocarina, Twilight Princess and a little bit of Majoras Mask before this, but I'd rate it pretty highly.
    I wouldn't say I've got a favourite and that ones better than the other as they're all as good as each other in their own way, but saying that, what sets this one apart from the others is the controls which for me made it more fun.
    One thing I was slightly dissapointed with was with the Harp as in TP and Ocarina you had to actually learn a tune by getting button presses correct before you it was available to use. In SS you didn't really have to do anything to learn a new tune at all.
    I did like the graphic style, but if they'ed have kept it looking similar to TP then that maybe would of been slightly better.
    Forum Member
    I thought the controls added a lot to this game, it made even the simple things fun. It just felt so 'right', like the best Nintendo games always do..

It's strange abut the graphics because I can fully understand why someone would think they were average, even bad maybe. But there were some real wow moments in terms of the visuals for me, I really grew and appreciation for the art style. Having said that I think TP is techically outstanding. I love both styles.

I'm struggling on Hero mode, it isn't as easy as I thought it might be and you cannot afford to make any mistakes. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Skyward Sword is one of those games that fans and critics won't agree on. As a whole, the vibe I'm getting (not just from these forums) from fans, is that it didn't live up to expectations.
    Where as critics love the game with Famitsu giving it a 40/40, I think the 3rd Zelda game to get one. IGN gave it 10/10 and ONM gave it 98%, the highest ever they've rated a game.

I don't think the Gamespot review was too harsh to be fair. After watching the follow up response video, it show's he's acting as a concerned and caring fan - not just a critic, and I think Tom got alot of stick for writing an honest review, and not giving it an empty 10/10, just because it's Zelda.
  • uzzybuzzyuzzybuzzy Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to buy this. Do I need any other additions to my Wii apart from remote and numchuck for it to work? I'm a Wii novice so am now sure what Wii motion plus is or how to set it up. Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance :)
  • James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    uzzybuzzy wrote: »
    I want to buy this. Do I need any other additions to my Wii apart from remote and numchuck for it to work? I'm a Wii novice so am now sure what Wii motion plus is or how to set it up. Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance :)

Wii motion plus is a small chunk of plastic that attaches to the bottom of the wii controler. It improves the accuracy of the wii remote and is essential for this game. You can buy them on Amazon etc. Once you attach it to the Wii remote (or more probably buy a wii-remote with it already built in) you play as normal. You will need to calibrate the wii motion plus but this is really easy and you are prompted to do it by the game, no sweat!

I really recommend this game, its one of the best Zeldas to date
  • uzzybuzzyuzzybuzzy Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Thanks for the reply. Will look at getting it soon. :)
  • claymore74claymore74 Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wii motion plus is a small chunk of plastic that attaches to the bottom of the wii controler. It improves the accuracy of the wii remote and is essential for this game. You can buy them on Amazon etc. Once you attach it to the Wii remote (or more probably buy a wii-remote with it already built in) you play as normal. You will need to calibrate the wii motion plus but this is really easy and you are prompted to do it by the game, no sweat!

I really recommend this game, its one of the best Zeldas to date

Just make sure your controllers don't already contain the wii-motion plus - if they have what looks like a little smile (a small curve) at the bottom of face of the wiimote, then it's already wii-motion plus and you don't need the extra bit. It'll depend on when you bought your wii (or extra controller if you have one) as to whether or not this is the case.

And I second what was said about Zelda, having recently completed it, it is a very good game. (Everything you'd expect from a Zelda game really)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going back to my earlier post, though it is a good game as a whole, but there are better Zelda games out there. Don't be put off by that though. It's a definite recommend.

I just hope Nintendo pretty much forget the current Zelda formula and try and do something completely different. Majora's Mask is the only Zelda since A Link to the Past that was actually different to how Zelda traditionally plays, and that's why it is up there in my top 3. They have it in their heads they can't try new things with Zelda, but with Mario, they can be creative enough to put him in a mushroom kingdom in one game, a tropical island in another, and even in space in a different game.
  • TheTrader78TheTrader78 Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My only frustration with this game is getting the heart piece in the mine kart section...I have real problems with it....I've manage to obtain all the other heart pieces....two were pure luck!

Link To The Past will always be my favorurite due to being my first Zelda to both play and complete....I still consider Ocarina the best game overall....but Skyward Sword is definitely in my top 5 Zelda games....I've enjoyed all 16 games in the Nintendo franchise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think this one's underrated, and time will be very kind to it.