Options

MoneySavingExpert forum not lifted friend's temporary ban

WaldoUKWaldoUK Posts: 12,266
Forum Member
✭✭
Some of you guys may be members of MSE's forum and could help my friend.

My mate who is a member of this forum, posted a comment on a thread which is not offensive imo. Three or four days later, he was red carded for a fortnight.

When he logs in he gets the message you have been banned for the following reason. Red card: (the comment he typed)

Date of the ban lifted - 12/10/14 1pm.

He has tried logging in several times and the ban is not lifted. There is no thing to comment/contact as when he selects contact us the only drop down menu option that lets him type a comment is report post. He filled in the form explaining the other two options don't let him type.

Why would a forum inform someone that someone is temporary banned but not lifted the ban?? I thought the admin does these things automatically.

Comments

• Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't like your friend, it's away of saying good bye.

Register all over again.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, neither of you have looked very hard.

There's a forum email address at the top of each page.

forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Do you want us to setup a peition or something?
  • Options
    WaldoUKWaldoUK Posts: 12,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If nothing has changed by 10am tomorrow, my mate will email that address.

They may not lift bans on weekends, but if that is the case, why inform the bannedee the ban will be lifted over the weekend?

The worse thing is to rejoin as admin will soon learn it's a banned member under a new name
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Have they not told you of any better deals you can get on temp bans?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    How on Earth does one manage to get banned from the Money Saving Expert forum? For suggesting out-of-date coupons?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    How on Earth does one manage to get banned from the Money Saving Expert forum? For suggesting out-of-date coupons?

Anyone that gets banned there probably deserved it!!
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that one out too.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Can he not just open another account?
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member

Calling someone names, bullying, racist abuse, homophobic abuse, advertising, trolling, having multiple accounts.........why would someone be banned from DS?:confused:
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,794
    Forum Member
    "Your friend" (you) shouldn't have broken the rules!
  • Options
    nitenursenitenurse Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading a thread on their when the resident whiner pushed his luck too far with his tale of woe. Total wah, wahj, everybody is being mean to me. He's never been back and the world seems to be a happier place without him.

He lurks, tried a sockpuppet account and was shot down a second time.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You often find that the comment that "wasn't offensive IMO" actually was ..
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, you, or your 'friend' should try emailing MSE. What's the point of moaning on another forum about it? Did you want sympathy for doing somethjng against the rules?
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why doesn't "your friend" ask on here himself? Oh right, it's YOU :o:D
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your "friend" isn't the person spamming the moneysavingexpert boards currently?
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Tweet Martin Lewis and beg for forgiveness. (@MartinSLewis)

You could gain brownie points by suggesting a money-saving tip too, like 'Only use the loo at work. Not only will you save money on toilet paper, but you'll also be getting paid.'

You will immediately be reinstated and probably invited to join the platinum MSE members secret forum.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WaldoUK wrote: »
    Some of you guys may be members of MSE's forum and could help my friend.

My mate who is a member of this forum, posted a comment on a thread which is not offensive imo. Three or four days later, he was red carded for a fortnight.

When he logs in he gets the message you have been banned for the following reason. Red card: (the comment he typed)

Date of the ban lifted - 12/10/14 1pm.

He has tried logging in several times and the ban is not lifted. There is no thing to comment/contact as when he selects contact us the only drop down menu option that lets him type a comment is report post. He filled in the form explaining the other two options don't let him type.

Why would a forum inform someone that someone is temporary banned but not lifted the ban?? I thought the admin does these things automatically.

Maybe they clicked the wrong ban length time.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So now we know who Dun It Today!
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Maybe they clicked the wrong ban length time.

Yeah and maybe someone alerted the OP's inoffensive comment (which didn't break any terms and conditions) for some unknown and really pathetic reason. That happened to me twice on this very forum over the last couple of days.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the "not offensive" comment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah and maybe someone alerted the OP's inoffensive comment (which didn't break any terms and conditions) for some unknown and really pathetic reason. That happened to me twice on this very forum over the last couple of days.

How do you know the OP's friend's comment was inoffensive and didn't break the terms and conditions ?
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    How do you know the OP's friend's comment was inoffensive and didn't break the terms and conditions ?

I don't. It was just a suggestion, hence why I said "maybe" fairly early on in my post.

I was just suggesting it as a possibility, as that is what has happened to me twice recently on this forum, so maybe it happens elsewhere too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't. It was just a suggestion, hence why I said "maybe" fairly early on in my post.

I was just suggesting it as a possibility, as that is what has happened to me twice recently on this forum, so maybe it happens elsewhere too.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP - I'll be lighting a candle for your friend (you) tonight.

Stay strong - together we can get through this troubled time.