Options

Who on earth is keeping Kelly in the competition?

SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
Forum Member
✭✭
She is the weakest skater in the contest by far, with a very big chip on her shoulder. She doesn't appear to take criticism from the judges very well(I do agree that Jason was out of order when he said she looked like a man in drag though). Im pretty sure the public keep her in because she is "Dame" Kelly double olympic champion. Like she'd let us forget that,she mentions it every week :rolleyes:

Being good on the race track doesn't equal being good on the ice rink. The public need to learn that. She should have gone this evening.

Comments

• Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well it's not me - that woman should of been one of the 1st to leave the competition
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This goes for David Seaman too, popular off the ice but nowhere up to the standard of many of the others on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Kelly is getting some sympathy votes. I'd like to think that most people with fully functioning eyes are aware that she is dreadful to watch. But that choreographer guy on the panel(forgotten his name) who makes barbed comments, ensures she gets through. I think people get peed off by what he says and so vote to make sure she stays. I hope he keeps his mouth shut regarding Kelly next week, then we might get rid of her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Exactly, Sorca. That rude judge ensures that she gets the underdog/bully victim votes every time.

The host should NOT ask his opinion, even if he gives her a 1.0, and she will be history. Maybe he should just compliment her track accomplishments (get that out of the way) and say nothing else. Comparing her to a terrier is just rude (especially since my maltese skates better than Kelly).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I agree with everything Jason says about her.

And hey Kelly you won the medals 18 months ago what have you done since? Thats what i'd say.
  • Options
    HellBoyHellBoy Posts: 5,354
    Forum Member
    I was very surprised to see her go, although she has tried hard, she just can't look graceful, gutted John went though, he was a really good skater.
  • Options
    CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorca wrote:
    I think Kelly is getting some sympathy votes. I'd like to think that most people with fully functioning eyes are aware that she is dreadful to watch. But that choreographer guy on the panel(forgotten his name) who makes barbed comments, ensures she gets through. I think people get peed off by what he says and so vote to make sure she stays. I hope he keeps his mouth shut regarding Kelly next week, then we might get rid of her.
    I happen to agree with him tbh. Her arguments last night were stupid - no one is saying she can't run, and to say she is 23 years behind everyone else is total lunacy. Sean has been in corrie for the past 100 years where as yet I have yet to see a storyline that involved iceskating!! She is in the same position as most of the others, the only ones who have an advantage are those who have had dance training.

She is tentative, stiff, ungainly and dull to watch and is in my view the worst of them all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    avfc82 wrote:
    I agree with everything Jason says about her.

And hey Kelly you won the medals 18 months ago what have you done since? Thats what i'd say.

Totally agree with this and everything else that people have said here. I'm a big John fan and fully admit I am gutted and annoyed that he went out last night.

I would really like to know why people vote for Kelly, if anyone is reading this and did vote for her please explain. As far as I see it the only possible reason why Kelly got through this week is sympathy votes.

Jason was right, he does have 18 years in business and he does know more about cerography etc than her. Granted he is harsh in what he says to her but his reasons are correct. That pointless argument that ended with her mentioning her gold medals (OMG do we have to be reminded each week) only showed what a massive chip she has on her shoulder about that. Don't even get me started on the knee jerk, politically motivated populist government reaction in making her a Dame!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should have been Kelly and David in the skate off last night. I know David has had the difficulty of having his partner injured and having to bond with another skater in a short space of time. But he was nervous and skated badly, however I think there is more to come from him.

Kelly just isn't cut out for skating.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Indeed, MaDame Holmes has an attitude problem, and over estimates her abilities. I, personally, think it is not a nice character trait to not be able to take criticism, or even become self-critical, something I think is quite important as an ice skater.
    For some reason I cannot help thinking that Kelly, as much as she might have a big gob on the telly, is actually very aware that all she can do is run, OK she can run fast, but that is it. Whenever she speaks at an award ceremony, or gives and interview, it just doesn't flow very well. I bet she is dying to do TV presenting, but she is crap in front of the camera. And then she decides to do DOI, since no one else seems to have given her a proper job since winning some medals... hence the already mentioned chip on her shoulder, the inability to accept she is actually crap at a lot of things bar running.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its like all Kelly has got going for her is the fact that she can run. She doesn't seem very articulate in interviews or shows like DOI. Why doesn't she go into coaching rather than trying to forge a media career?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cornchips wrote:
    She is tentative, stiff, ungainly and dull to watch and is in my view the worst of them all.

I totally agree with you and the choreographer guy's comments. The trouble is that a awful lot of people find his comments too personal, and start texting to keep her in the minute he finishes his critic. So in order to get rid of the awfull Kelly he should keep his mouth shut.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with the comments on this thread. Kelly can't ice dance but she seems to think we owe her some votes because she has won two gold medals. We don't and I hope whoever is voting for her ( Lord Sir Sebastian? ** vomit smiley** ) takes off their rose coloured glasses.

Edit - just seen this story http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds28823.html
    The newspaper also claims that rivalries are beginning to emerge between Kelly Holmes and Bonnie Langford.

"As with all these shows, there's always rivalry between contestants and it's becoming more competitive every day," the insider added. "Kelly's competitive personality means she is determined to win. She doesn't accept anything less from herself - and feels that Bonnie is her main competitor.

"Bonnie has been a surprise hit on the show. The viewers and judges love her and Kelly is a little annoyed

Says it all really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bonnie is going to be better than Kelly, she's a dancer.

I noticed last night Kelly said something along the lines of "I want to do something Bonnie can't do" :rolleyes: She can't compete with Bonnie at all, she isn't good enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    you can say what you like about her, but the truth is you all hate her for the 1 reason she did win her 2 golds. She lives off pure guts and determination, she is compettive and wills herself to do more than she thinks she is capable of. That is why she didn't give up when her whole time seemed to be spent recovering from injury and is why she wont give up now.

Make your minds up people - love her for being the hero of our Olymics - And all the personality traits that goes with it. OR have a go at her for being compettitive - you cant have it BOTH ways
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing will ever convince me she deserved to stay over John last week. I know national hero and all, but she CAN'T SKATE! If another one of my favourites leaves before her I will stop watching. Even Stefan's better than her, bless him.

I'm not bothered about her competativeness!! It's her lack of skill that makes me not like her!

Not like her in the competition. I love her for winning 2 golds, and I'm sure she's lovely, but I love John more and he was miles better than Kelly on Sat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    I have to say I do agree that on ability alone John should have sailed into the final!!!

Ok Kelly isn't the best skater there and prob should have been in the bottom 2 there with Stephan. It is not the people who have issues with her ability I think are wrong its the people who are having a go at her attitude.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,446
    Forum Member
    I have no idea why Kelly is still there. Her routines seem to amount to nothing more than her being picked up....I haven't seen her do very much actual skating, and I don't like her attitude.

Don't mind me, I'm still mourning for The Barrowman :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crdallig wrote:
    you can say what you like about her, but the truth is you all hate her for the 1 reason she did win her 2 golds. She lives off pure guts and determination, she is compettive and wills herself to do more than she thinks she is capable of. That is why she didn't give up when her whole time seemed to be spent recovering from injury and is why she wont give up now.

Make your minds up people - love her for being the hero of our Olymics - And all the personality traits that goes with it. OR have a go at her for being compettitive - you cant have it BOTH ways

Yes she is very competitve, she wouldn't have suceeded in Athletics had she not had a fierce winning streak but is that really a good enough reason to keep her in the competition? No. She is only margianlly better than Andi was, and should have gone before now. Andrea was better than her.

Being an Olympic champion doesn't excuse arrogance.
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyone seen article in daily star today? - she is arrogant
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    I agree she needs to be competitive in order to win track events, but I suppose she'll also be aware she has a lot of ability as a runner.

That ability hasn't transfered over into ice dancing. She's just not very good.Success is a combination of ability and drive. If you don't have the ability then surely you're just deluding yourself?

She reminds me of the budding singers who can't actually sing on the Pop Idol auditions. Just because you tell yourself you can do something, doesn't mean you can.

Then again, maybe she'll improve. We can hope...
  • Options
    TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know she can't help it because of all the hours spent training, and I'm the first to say that those black skates week before last did her no favours but it has to be said: She reminds me of Conan The Barbarian.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Yes she is very competitve, she wouldn't have suceeded in Athletics had she not had a fierce winning streak but is that really a good enough reason to keep her in the competition? No. She is only margianlly better than Andi was, and should have gone before now. Andrea was better than her.

Being an Olympic champion doesn't excuse arrogance.

Quite! It drives me mad that she shows no respect for Todd. He is a 3 time world medallist in pairs which, as a non russian, is a pretty amazing achievement. It seems as though her 2 gold medals make it okay for her to argue with him when clearly he knows what he's talking about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought at first that she would be really good -thinking of other athletes on reality shows like Denise Lewis, Colin Jackson and Roger Black who were all brill on Strictly -but she doesnt have the same easygoing manner of any of them -or, it may seem, the intelligence to hide her scary competitiveness.
    Mind you on the other hand it IS a competition so competitiveness is normal -its the way she speaks to her partner that annoys me -as if she can tell a pro ice skater he is doing the routine wrong!?!
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is probably gutted that Gladiators isn't still on, where she could have been Olympia!

I am not keen on watching her skate, but give her credit for trying and improving but cannot stand her arrogance and churlishness towards Todd. DOI is doing her no favours personally, regardless of how many goldmedals she has won, which Ims ure everyone admires her for.