Options

Boxing Day was Sunday, not today

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
Forum Member
✭✭
Boxing Day is the 26th, always will be in my eyes, don't care what day of the week the 26th falls on.

We may get extra bank holidays, but they aren't boxing days. What are they called? If they aren't named, let's call them dmuk day.

Happy dmuk day everybody!

Comments

• Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boxing day legally can't be a Sunday. So today is Boxing Day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today isn't even substitute boxing day, it's Substitute Christmas Day according to the directgov website.

Happy Substitute Christmas Day, everybody!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I would have thought that there should be two Bank Holiday extra days, seeing as Christmas and Boxing days were over the weekend.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Keith_13 wrote: »

For as long as I've been alive (27 years), my parents (50 years) and my 85-year-old Nan, Boxing Day has always fallen on the 26th December, regardless of anything else.

I don't know who's been reading the legal small-print, but to just change tradition by citing all these forgotten rules and regulations, just seems weird in my opinion.

Boxing Day is an extension to Christmas Day. It's a two-day package deal. Don't let Americans, law-lovers or manipulative employers tell you otherwise.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought that there should be two Bank Holiday extra days, seeing as Christmas and Boxing days were over the weekend.
    There is, today and tomorrow, 27th & 28th
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    For as long as I've been alive (27 years), my parents (50 years) and my 85-year-old Nan, Boxing Day has always fallen on the 26th December, regardless of anything else.

I don't know who's been reading the legal small-print, but to just change tradition by citing all these forgotten rules and regulations, just seems weird in my opinion.

Boxing Day is an extension to Christmas Day. It's a two-day package deal. Don't let Americans, law-lovers or manipulative employers tell you otherwise.

But then you won't get any extra days off of work, if you keep strictly to the 26th, regardless of which day it falls on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is, today and tomorrow, 27th & 28th

Ah, thanks for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    For celebratory factors most people celebrate it on the 26th regardless of the day it falls on. Yesterday was more than just a "bank holiday". Most shops were closed, there was little public transport and everyone was treating it as "Boxing Day".

Is there any reason why it can't be on a Sunday, other than for religious reasons? Surely today and tomorrow as just substitute bank holidays... we haven't pushed Christmas 2 days later into the year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    I think maybe the law needs changing. Most people regard boxing day as just the day after Christmas.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Bank Holiday Monday and Tuesday.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member

It's nothing to do with legality. Legal in what sense and for whom? Boxing Day is 26 December, always has been and always will be. Bank Holidays are designated on the Monday and Tuesday when Xmas Day and Boxing Day fall on the weekend.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member

Legal doesn't enter into it, it's just a tradition. Boxing Day isn't even mentioned by name in the current Bank Holidays legislation - it only refers to the 26th.
    But then you won't get any extra days off of work, if you keep strictly to the 26th, regardless of which day it falls on.
    Yes you will, this year is a good example. Monday is a substitute (additional) Bank Holiday for Christmas Day falling at the weekend; Tuesday is a substitute (moved) Bank Holiday for the 26th (Boxing Day) falling on a Sunday.

Christmas Day isn't and doesn't need to be a Bank Holiday as it is a non-working day whenever it falls. The 26th is a Bank Holiday but doesn't need to be one when it falls on a Sunday like this year, as Sunday is a non-working day anyway. So it automatically moves to the next available working day (Tuesday)
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please tell British rail that as on Sunday there were no trains - trains dont run on Boxing day if today was Boxing day then there would be no trains today - but there are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    Please tell British rail that as on Sunday there were no trains - trains dont run on Boxing day if today was Boxing day then there would be no trains today - but there are.
    Same goes for the buses around here too.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why can people not differentiate between Boxing Day (ie 26th December) and Bank Holiday which is usually taken on Boxing day, but when Boxing Day falls on Sunday is taken on Monday?

Or in this case, Tuesday, as the Monday Bank Holiday is replacing the Bank Holiday we get on Christmas Day, as Christmas Day this year falls on a Saturday.

Surely that is quite clear?
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I don't care what they call today and tomorrow as long as I get them off work.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »

Mmm...todays holiday would technically be a public holiday in lieu of Christmas Day, as Christmas Day actually fell on a Saturday this year...same as tommorow being a day in lieu of Boxing day falling on a Sunday this year.

Come on guys, this ain't new, it's been like this for a very, very long time now.

Is there some sort of amnesia going around all of a sudden?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I don't care what they call today and tomorrow as long as I get them off work.

** Votes Lyricalis **

:D
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mmm...todays holiday would technically be a public holiday in lieu of Christmas Day, as Christmas Day actually fell on a Saturday this year...same as tommorow being a day in lieu of Boxing day falling on a Sunday this year.

Come on guys, this ain't new, it's been like this for a very, very long time now.

This happened as recently as 2004 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why can people not differentiate between Boxing Day (ie 26th December) and Bank Holiday which is usually taken on Boxing day, but when Boxing Day falls on Sunday is taken on Monday?

Or in this case, Tuesday, as the Monday Bank Holiday is replacing the Bank Holiday we get on Christmas Day, as Christmas Day this year falls on a Saturday.

Surely that is quite clear?

Not according to another thread I went on, they were adamant that Sunday 26th this year was not boxing day. I think officially it isn't, but I can't think of one person or place (business) which doesn't class it (26th) as boxing day. That's why I said maybe the officialness should change to represent modern views.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Confusing wrote: »
    Not according to another thread I went on, they were adamant that Sunday 26th this year was not boxing day. I think officially it isn't, but I can't think of one person or place (business) which doesn't class it (26th) as boxing day. That's why I said maybe the officialness should change to represent modern views.

If it was known by all and we all agreed then the pedants would have nothing to do.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's nothing to do with legality. Legal in what sense and for whom? Boxing Day is 26 December, always has been and always will be. Bank Holidays are designated on the Monday and Tuesday when Xmas Day and Boxing Day fall on the weekend.

This! All this talk of what is legal or what is just bollox
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boxing day = yesterday (26th). Now move along please.
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    Boxing Day is the 26th, always will be in my eyes, don't care what day of the week the 26th falls on.

We may get extra bank holidays, but they aren't boxing days. What are they called? If they aren't named, let's call them dmuk day.

Happy dmuk day everybody!

This is the first ever year when the 26th has been called Boxing Day when its been a Sunday.
    The last time it happened we had Christmas Sunday then the 27th was Boxing Day.

I don't think it has any religious significance so it can be a Sunday if necessary and as long as there is an extra Bank Holiday to cover it - who cares anyway?