Prisoner Cell Block H

Comments

• Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    it's a bit like when Bea's dead husband reappeared later in the show as someone else. :p

Glad Po-Face is getting a mention on here. A bit like Vera, she was a complexed character, capable of being a kind-hearted soul one minute and a complete and utter bitch the next (plus she had some of the best lines).

Never really like Ann Reynolds though. Nicolson gave it her best shot but she just didn't have that campy glamor that Erica had.

Just out of interest....does anyone know anything about the infamous catfighting back stage? I think I read that Meg and Bea had that special Joan Crawford/Bette Davis relationship.:D

To put it mildly Val Lehman and Elspeth Ballantyne hated each other. Val has made no secret of this.:)

According to rumours Val was getting a concession because she lived so many miles away from where they filmed PCBH. Not just Val, but anybody that lived 20 miles (example) away from the studio received this travelling expense.

Anyway, after a few years Val moved closer to the studio and omitted to tell the studio that she had moved (thus she should not have been receiving the pay out)

Elspeth found out and as Val said she 'Couldn't tell the producers quick enough' This led to a running fued between the two.

I read all this on a website years ago, but damned if I can find it now. It's only recently that Val & Elspeth will even appear at conventions together. Val despises her. :D
  • Wozza20Wozza20 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched it through to the end and not seen anything you mention. However, I have seen wobbling walls in "Fawlty Towers".

Before I start, I would like to go on record that PCBH is my favourite show.

The walls definitely did wobble. Quite a few times when fights would break out and one would throw another against the wall, there would be a dull thud sound, and the wall would shake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    I have to say, the production values were always a little low but the last year seemed to be especially bad for questionable acting and wobbling walls.

I disagree with the last year having low production values compared to the rest. I would say they were on par, and if not better.

A lot of the favourite characters were gone by the end year, and therefore, more investment was put into the production and location work than ever before to attract new viewers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric Blair wrote: »
    I have to say I looked through the posts above especially to see any reference to wobbling scenery. Thanks for not letting me down! For some reason it's obligatory for PCBH to be cited as having wobbling walls. Nice to see somebody keeping up the tradition of mentioning something that just wasn't true.

Alongside the discussion of the show, perhaps we could discuss why people feel the need to say that this show had wobbling scenery. Is it a kind of urban myth? Or what we would call a meme nowadays? Perhaps people say it because the production values seemed low enough to them that it's as if the wall wobbled.

There is one scene in particular where Frank Burke and Geoff McCrae are fighting in the solitary cells because Frank keeps picking on Matthew.

When Frank is thrown towards a wall, it doesn't just shake, it moves. There are countless times in the series of scenery shaking when it shouldn't - and I do not say this as a critisism - it sort of added to the appeal of the show in some way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did the walls wobble??.......

http://youtu.be/OBQuf6QpXeQ

Around 1minute 10seconds has the Geoff and Frank wall moving fight I remembered... :)
  • OK Then!!!OK Then!!! Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    St. Meg was sooo annoying. I liked the character overall, but there were times when she was so sanctimonious. Vera, Joan and Coleen were all extremly funny with their dry/sarcastic humour and much more favourable and often better at their jobs. I also liked Joyce Barry- who was incompetent but hillarious.

As for prisoners, Lizzie birdsworth was my favourite. A lovely lady, with a wicked sense of humour, a right gossip and someone we'd all like to be. Also liked Bea, Judy, Cass, Mum, Nola McKeznie, Kate, sandy, marie winter, reb, minnie, mouse
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK Then!!! wrote: »
    St. Meg was sooo annoying. I liked the character overall, but there were times when she was so sanctimonious. Vera, Joan and Coleen were all extremly funny with their dry/sarcastic humour and much more favourable and often better at their jobs. I also liked Joyce Barry- who was incompetent but hillarious.

As for prisoners, Lizzie birdsworth was my favourite. A lovely lady, with a wicked sense of humour, a right gossip and someone we'd all like to be. Also liked Bea, Judy, Cass, Mum, Nola McKeznie, Kate, sandy, marie winter, reb, minnie, mouse

I bet Val Lehman gritted her teeth when doing friendly scenes with Elspeth Ballantyne :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    As far as I know I’m the first person to have pointed this out: When The Prisoner tells #2 “You won’t get it,” there are (at least) two distinct meanings for “Get it.”
    The first, you’ll have no purchase, no ownership of, you will not know where or what “It” is.
    The second, you’ll hear it BUT not be able to understand “It.”

After I posted that, @ me blog, someone pointed-out to me that #2 tells The Prisoner in response to his question
    "Who is #1?"
    that
    “You are [#1], #6.”
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different Prisoner, I think!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Coleen, Lizzie, Vera, Erica and Ann were the top actors in the show. Brilliant.

Joan and Bea were fab too. They had some top acting and brilliant stories. You dont need a budget just some good stories, brill writing and some decent actors from theatre in decent roles to pull off good drama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think Coleen, Lizzie, Vera, Erica and Ann were the top actors in the show. Brilliant.

Joan and Bea were fab too. They had some top acting and brilliant stories. You dont need a budget just some good stories, brill writing and some decent actors from theatre in decent roles to pull off good drama.

Very true.

It was character driven as well. The stories were brilliant, but without the great performances would have been average. The actresses made the stories so good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched it through to the end and not seen anything you mention. However, I have seen wobbling walls in "Fawlty Towers".

I've seen wobbling walls when people have been thrown against them or when doors have been slammed! I don't know how far or early this was during the series though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaditano wrote: »
    Different Prisoner, I think!

Yeah, it does sound like they're thinking of The Prisoner.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite character was Lizzie, to the last.

I have never called the show anything other than 'Prisoner', thats the name on the screen, and it works for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie was mine too- a legend. Comedy and drama stories.
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »

I have never called the show anything other than 'Prisoner', thats the name on the screen, and it works for me.

Prisoner was what it was called in Australia, hence the credits. The Cell Block H suffix was added here to differentiate it from the 1960s cult show.
  • ajdcbgajdcbg Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've met 5 of the cast over the last 2 years , at the 2010 and 2011 memorabilia conventions.

In 2009 I met Val Lehman , Gerard Maguire and Fiona Spence.
    Due to costs , I didn't get their autographs , but did get my picture taken with Val

http://oi56.tinypic.com/jqsro5.jpg

In 2010 , I met Maggie Kirkpatrick & Glenda Linscott . This time , I got both actresses autographs and a picture.

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2dm9ger.jpg

bit blurry though and I look like a weirdo:rolleyes::(
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where were the conventions?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NEC , Birmingham

there are 2 per year

One in Spring , one in Winter.

The next one is this coming November, on the 19th and 20th.

http://www.memorabilia.co.uk/birmingham/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ajdcbg wrote: »
    I've met 5 of the cast over the last 2 years , at the 2010 and 2011 memorabilia conventions.

In 2009 I met Val Lehman , Gerard Maguire and Fiona Spence.
    Due to costs , I didn't get their autographs , but did get my picture taken with Val

http://oi56.tinypic.com/jqsro5.jpg

In 2010 , I met Maggie Kirkpatrick & Glenda Linscott . This time , I got both actresses autographs and a picture.

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2dm9ger.jpg

bit blurry though and I look like a weirdo:rolleyes::(

what were they like??
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maggie Kirkpatrick always looks like a right good laugh when she's in interviews.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    To put it mildly Val Lehman and Elspeth Ballantyne hated each other. Val has made no secret of this.:)

According to rumours Val was getting a concession because she lived so many miles away from where they filmed PCBH. Not just Val, but anybody that lived 20 miles (example) away from the studio received this travelling expense.

Anyway, after a few years Val moved closer to the studio and omitted to tell the studio that she had moved (thus she should not have been receiving the pay out)

Elspeth found out and as Val said she 'Couldn't tell the producers quick enough' This led to a running fued between the two.

I read all this on a website years ago, but damned if I can find it now. It's only recently that Val & Elspeth will even appear at conventions together. Val despises her. :D

thanks for filling us in, I'd just read that they didn't get along so well. Gotta say, you'd have never had guessed there was that much hostility though from watching the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    ajdcbg wrote: »
    NEC , Birmingham

there are 2 per year

One in Spring , one in Winter.

The next one is this coming November, on the 19th and 20th.

http://www.memorabilia.co.uk/birmingham/

:eek:
    why didn't I know about this, it's practically on my doorstep.

Though I probably wouldn't go as I'm not very good at talking to famous people.

'Val, I loved you in Prissna. Meg was my all time favorite character.' :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what were they like??

They were all lovely. :)

Maggie was the only one that seemed not to be enjoying herself .

She was nice to me ,but it came across as a chore for her , whereas it seemed more natural from the others .

Glenda was very bubbly and came across really well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    thanks for filling us in, I'd just read that they didn't get along so well. Gotta say, you'd have never had guessed there was that much hostility though from watching the show.

I have been looking for the website that I read it on. No luck, but I came across this about the Queens of Mean. Quite a few Prisoner interviews. Amongst other gems.

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1073801