Options

sophie and Brendans Charleston

Comments

• Options
    IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gcmac wrote: »
    I thought it was brilliant, although Sophie danced it better than Brendan in my opinion.

Brendan's legs looked a bit gangly to me and Sophie just oozed ease and sophistication; I couldn't not watch her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nagel84 wrote: »
    That was a fine example of what I hate about Strictly Charlestons: short on technique and big on gurning and tomfoolery. One of the most overrated dances ever on Strictly IMO.

Kara and Artem's is still the best for me, but Sophie's tonight is now probably my second favourite and was similar in style to Kara's. Both having that genuine 20s sassy, jazzy feel to them.

Denise's was technically very good but I hated the music and Egyptian theme to it.

I couldn't agree more. I can't believe how everyone is raving about this dance; I will have to watch it again incase I've missed something. I thought is was the most inelegant and dangerous performance I have ever seen on the programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Sophie makes it to the finals. There's nothing better thans seeing someone who starts off wobbly go all the way. Natalie is boring for me because we already know what to expect, whereas with Sophie, we are shocked, in a good way of course.
  • Options
    nagel84nagel84 Posts: 13,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweetcorn wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. I can't believe how everyone is raving about this dance; I will have to watch it again incase I've missed something. I thought is was the most inelegant and dangerous performance I have ever seen on the programme.

Is it Sophie and Brendan's Charleston you're criticizing? If so maybe you didn't mean to quote me or misread my post.

It was Chris and Ola's Charleston I was critical about. I very much liked Sophie's. :)
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Sorry to gatecrash this thread, but this question doesn't warrant a new thread of its own... ;)

36 is the highest week 2 score ever. Did they deserve it?

I personally think that yes, they did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to gatecrash this thread, but this question doesn't warrant a new thread of its own... ;)

wow, what an achievement for them both. they definitely deserve it :)
  • Options
    mollsshewrotemollsshewrote Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    She deserved the 36 for the tricks and lifts alone, such a daring routine to perform on live telly. There were a couple of minor moments on the dismounts but overall it was impressive. :)
  • Options
    musicangelmusicangel Posts: 7,164
    Forum Member
    Starpuss wrote: »
    First charleston I have liked on SCD. Ever. It was classy and fun.

me too and a classic Charleston I loved dvo 80s but this was true 20s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sweetcorn wrote: »

Let us all know your professional Charleston qualifications?

I've been Latin and ballroom dancing for ten years
  • Options
    Forum Member

yes they did!!! :D
  • Options
    tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Bruno's Gatsby comments. But really, were there lifts in actual Charlestons of the time? I appreciate and can admire the boldness required to execute them but they actually detracted from my enjoyment of the dance - I don't like the sensation of holding my breath, hoping nothing goes wrong.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up until now, I'd only rated Denise, Kara and Ali's Charlestons (in that order).

But this topped them all for me. A sight to behold.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    It has over 2.700 comments on the Strictly facebook page :eek:

(for comparison, Mark's dance is second with 800 comments)
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Loved it, and I've never liked a charleston before. As others have said, it was brilliant to see no comic costumes and gurning, and yes, Sophie looked confident, made it look effortless. I was especially impressed with the way she didn't wear a fixed smile, but flashed one on and off in a most natural way. The dancing equivalent to 'look at me, I can walk and chew gum at the same time'.
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Sophie & Brendan.
  • Options
    Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it. Nice to see a 'cooler' charleston that all gurny & Jazz hands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Becky245 wrote: »
    I hope Sophie makes it to the finals. There's nothing better thans seeing someone who starts off wobbly go all the way. Natalie is boring for me because we already know what to expect, whereas with Sophie, we are shocked, in a good way of course.

Result ;)
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was great, lovely girl, but there is something missing IMO. Cant seem to warm to her.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never really enjoyed watching the Charleston - Denise VO did a decent dance but what the heck did Egyptians have to do with it? Chris Hollins was beyond awful - crawling across the floor, pulling weird faces, etc. [shudders] :o

But loved Sophie & Brendan's dance; it was fast and it was clever without the unnecessary silliness. And to attempt those moves so early in the series was amazing. Yes, some of them could have been tighter, but again, week 2!
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was great. And well done Brendan for the routine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was very good, and it does look like she's had dance training.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yes, they did.:):)
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    She was very good, and it does look like she's dance training.

Lol have you ever seen her on stage or even in her music videos? Where you would think she should be at her best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol have you ever seen her on stage or even in her music videos? Where you would think she should be at her best.

I don't know anything about her accept she's the daughter of one time Blue Peter presenter. I will check out her videos on youtube.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It just looked like a scene from the 20s when a girl dances with a guy has so.much fun and shows what she has.. #epic ;) and #traditional